[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Preseason predictions  (Read 35634 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Preseason predictions
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2017, 11:03:19 AM »
Need some nice gains in defense. I think Haani and hopefully Sacar can earn some PT simply by what they can do defensively.

I'm thinking this is where Elliott can carve out some time as well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
I think all 3 freshman can help on the D.  Close game, take Howard and Rowsey out, put in Cain and Elliott, and John.  Of course, they are only freshman, did they ever
play D is high school?  John looks like a defender, not sure about the other 2.  There height alone will make a huge difference, all of sudden they would have good size
If Cain can defend with his height, he will get lots of time between the 2 and 3.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2017, 11:41:14 AM »
Need another offense initiator outside of Howard and Rowsey.  Lost Katin, JJJ and Duane who could all do "something" at the end of the shot clock.  Otherwise, we might see a lot of the 2015 offense with getting to Carlino with 8 seconds left on the clock to try and get a shot.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
The sophomore amigos lost Novak & Chapman, had a frosh Lazar & Cubby + Dan Fitzgerald on the wings, and a rotating cast of Barro/Burke/Lott at the center. I think the pieces surrounding M2N, Hauser, and Rowsey are better than that. We dance.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
Ike was told might red-shirt, any body else here that?

Yes that he might, but no decision yet that I've heard.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
I think all 3 freshman can help on the D.  Close game, take Howard and Rowsey out, put in Cain and Elliott, and John.  Of course, they are only freshman, did they ever
play D is high school?  John looks like a defender, not sure about the other 2.  There height alone will make a huge difference, all of sudden they would have good size
If Cain can defend with his height, he will get lots of time between the 2 and 3.
In a close game don't think Wojo will take out his 2 best offensive players and put 2 freshman in. I could see one in the last play if he is an excellent defender, but 2 inexperienced Frosh at the end of a game handling the ball no.
Goal is National Championship

fjm

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »
In a close game don't think Wojo will take out his 2 best offensive players and put 2 freshman in. I could see one in the last play if he is an excellent defender, but 2 inexperienced Frosh at the end of a game handling the ball no.

Ok while I agree with you 100%, let's not forget that Howard (an inexperienced frosh) has the ball in his hands a ton last year.
And better yet, at the end of the Nova game, a Frosh has the ball in his hands on the rebound.

Again, I 100% agree that I doubt that will happen this year with a frosh handling the ball. Not with who we have... but Wojo doesn't mind trotting out inexperienced players when he wants.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »
Ike was told might red-shirt, any body else here that?

No.  He is going to be needed the first 10 or so games.  Maybe he'll redshirt as a sophomore like Sacar.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2017, 01:53:55 PM »
No.  He is going to be needed the first 10 or so games.  Maybe he'll redshirt as a sophomore like Sacar.

I don't knooooow about that?

Pre-Froiling

Small line up:
Hauser at the 5.

Big lineup: Heldt or Theo at the 5

I am thinking hauser might get 5 min or so a game at C with a small high energy lineup.

I don't see heldt and Theo fouling out in the same game. Ike would play if needed but I just don't think we really need him right away?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2017, 02:17:02 PM »
I don't knooooow about that?

Pre-Froiling

Small line up:
Hauser at the 5.

Big lineup: Heldt or Theo at the 5

I am thinking hauser might get 5 min or so a game at C with a small high energy lineup.

I don't see heldt and Theo fouling out in the same game. Ike would play if needed but I just don't think we really need him right away?

I suppose its possible, but they're an injury away from being scary thin.  With transfers these days, I don't really see the point in redshirts.  Its just asking for them to leave later on.  Keep the kid in uniform for this year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2017, 02:26:28 PM »
I suppose its possible, but they're an injury away from being scary thin.  With transfers these days, I don't really see the point in redshirts.  Its just asking for them to leave later on.  Keep the kid in uniform for this year.

Dang good point. I honestly didn't consider injury.

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
Only 1 senior on roster.....and 2 juniors.

...obviously hope we do better but too many unknowns to expect it ......progress doesn't happen in a straight line.

There's the key.  Lots of young talent.  Let's get excited when they beat someone they shouldn't have, but let's not blow up this board when we get beat by someone we should've beaten....because its' going to happen.   We'll finish 5th/6th and bubble team. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
I don't think we NEED a 3rd big to start the season (presumably Ike behind Theo and Heldt). I'm comfortable rolling with Sammysplash starting at the 4, Heldt at the 5 and John/Cain/Sacar backing up the 4/5 position for 10 games. We've certainly been thinner in the post before and still been successful.

However, I think a sophomore redshirt makes a lot more sense. In 17-18 you all of the sudden have Heldt, Froling, Big Hauser, Lil Hauser, Morrow, John, Eke, Bailey, Cain, and Anim who could all conceivably play in the post. Makes sense to have one of your big fellas redshirt in 17-18 and come back when Heldt has graduated.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
I don't think we NEED a 3rd big to start the season (presumably Ike behind Theo and Heldt). I'm comfortable rolling with Sammysplash starting at the 4, Heldt at the 5 and John/Cain/Sacar backing up the 4/5 position for 10 games. We've certainly been thinner in the post before and still been successful.

Yes. I think if the preference is to redshirt Ike (or anyone) this year, you just don't play him unless someone else goes down early. Don't announce your plan at least until Harry is eligible
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »

However, I think a sophomore redshirt makes a lot more sense. In 17-18 you all of the sudden have Heldt, Froling, Big Hauser, Lil Hauser, Morrow, John, Eke, Bailey, Cain, and Anim who could all conceivably play in the post. Makes sense to have one of your big fellas redshirt in 17-18 and come back when Heldt has graduated.
I am not sure why all the bearish posture on Ike. Wojo says the sky is the limit for him and Ike is a leader type, extremely popular among the team. I think the guy is a star in the making and everyone here is hung up on a silly ranking .  The kid can give us some quality minutes of rim protection and rebounding on day 1 , can run like a gazelle and he actually has a decent jump shot, so what's not to like .

Was everyone watching the same South Carolina game I was last year? The Cocks were way more athletic than we were and we need athletic pogo stick studs like Ike to compete at the highest level.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2017, 04:44:12 PM »
I am not sure why all the bearish posture on Ike. Wojo says the sky is the limit for him and Ike is a leader type, extremely popular among the team. I think the guy is a star in the making and everyone here is hung up on a silly ranking .  The kid can give us some quality minutes of rim protection and rebounding on day 1 , can run like a gazelle and he actually has a decent jump shot, so what's not to like .

Was everyone watching the same South Carolina game I was last year? The Cocks were way more athletic than we were and we need athletic pogo stick studs like Ike to compete at the highest level.

I don't think my post was bearish on Ike, I guess I said he'd presumably be behind John and Heldt but that's more me being bullish on John and Heldt.

But if I were to be bearish on Ike, I'd point out its not one silly ranking. It's a whole bunch of silly rankings, including local guys from Detroit who have forgotten more about Michigan high school basketball then I will ever know. I am very bullish on Ike's career. I see a lot of physical tools and potential. But like a lot of players who didn't pick up the game until high school, there is sometimes an adjustment period.

I am also basing it on what I have heard coming out of the halls of the Al. I hear a lot about Cain (could have NBA potential), Elliott (relentless on D), and John (man child with Big East ready body). I hear less about Eke. Could end up being wrong. I hope I end up being wrong.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:54:15 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »

Actually I'd say we need a sindarius thornwell type player who is unstoppable
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »
I here what your saying but their are posters on hear that care two much about grammar butt I figured Id correct it before they did

Sounds the same but pretty much unreadable

What better things do academics have to do than correct Scoop spelling and grammar.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
Ok while I agree with you 100%, let's not forget that Howard (an inexperienced frosh) has the ball in his hands a ton last year.
And better yet, at the end of the Nova game, a Frosh has the ball in his hands on the rebound.

Again, I 100% agree that I doubt that will happen this year with a frosh handling the ball. Not with who we have... but Wojo doesn't mind trotting out inexperienced players when he wants.
Yes you are correct, but it was more out of need? Who else could provide what Markus was doing from 3 and FT. It became the Rowsey and Markus show, those two will be so in synch. Unless one of the  freshmen becomes something special I would not see why Wojo would do it
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »
Need another offense initiator outside of Howard and Rowsey.  Lost Katin, JJJ and Duane who could all do "something" at the end of the shot clock.  Otherwise, we might see a lot of the 2015 offense with getting to Carlino with 8 seconds left on the clock to try and get a shot.

This is a concern of mine, too. JJJ and Duane could break down a defense and create a little havoc. Katin could get his own shot almost whenever he wanted. Who is going to do that for us this season? Maybe Markus, if he has improved his handle? Maybe Haani if he has mentally put last season in the rearview mirror? I guess we'll see. And of course, Luke could post up. Who will be our post presence on offense? Will be interesting to watch all of this develop.

We led the nation in 3-point shooting because we got a lot of wide-open 3s. And yet we still barely made the tourney. I'd hate to see us have to rely on a bunch of forced 3s.

Obviously, playing better D would help.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
We led the nation in 3-point shooting because we got a lot of wide-open 3s.

Nope. Could have never done it without insanely good 3FG shooting while GUARDED. 100th percentile last season.

As for your break down concerns... I think we may see Sam take giant leaps this year. He's capable.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
Nope. Could have never done it without insanely good 3FG shooting while GUARDED. 100th percentile last season.

As for your break down concerns... I think we may see Sam take giant leaps this year. He's capable.

JB, I admit to not knowing all of the advanced stats, so if there is preponderance of evidence showing we hit tons of hand-in-face 3-pointers, I will defer to you. I watched every game, and my recollections (sans stats) was that we shot an incredible percentage when we made the extra pass and took open 3s, and we did this more times than not. Now that I'm 106 years old, maybe my memory is flawed.

As for Sam maybe taking a giant leap, I agree that it is possible ... and I hope it is, too! All I heard about was Joey Joey Joey, so Sam's well-rounded game was an extremely nice surprise for me. He seems to be a very hard worker, and we know he has talent, so he certainly could take his game up a notch or three.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Class71

• All American
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
It appears a number of folks talk about the future performance of individuals. I do not believe that will be the difference this year. If MU is to do well they will need to gel as a team. We simply do not have a strong proven go to player that can play both ends of the court. We have some very good role players that we hope will develop into consistent players on offense and defense. They also need to become better team players. If the above does not occur we will have made little progress. Moreover we are out of excuses in blaming the departure of Buzz.

My greatest concern is the administration sets the bar too low. We then have another less than stellar year but the reaction is business as usual. If this happens it will be anyone's guess as to when this program will be turned around.

I truly hope this does not happen. It is far to painful to watch a flopping fish on a ship's deck withering away. I hope for the best  but  i fear there is far too much uncertainty this year to be optimistic.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
It appears a number of folks talk about the future performance of individuals. I do not believe that will be the difference this year. If MU is to do well they will need to gel as a team. We simply do not have a strong proven go to player that can play both ends of the court. We have some very good role players that we hope will develop into consistent players on offense and defense. They also need to become better team players. If the above does not occur we will have made little progress. Moreover we are out of excuses in blaming the departure of Buzz.

My greatest concern is the administration sets the bar too low. We then have another less than stellar year but the reaction is business as usual. If this happens it will be anyone's guess as to when this program will be turned around.

I truly hope this does not happen. It is far to painful to watch a flopping fish on a ship's deck withering away. I hope for the best  but  i fear there is far too much uncertainty this year to be optimistic.

Can we blame Henry leaving early if we don't do well this year? Just kidding.

I think we've set the standard that we should be competitive this year but next year is the real "let's see what wojo can do" year. I don't think it's right to panic if we aren't great this year especially given our recruits coming in next year (with or without QG)
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2017, 12:00:43 PM »

A step back this season does not equal Wojo being a bad coach.  An inexperienced team is very difficult to predict.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback