[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Preseason predictions  (Read 35643 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Preseason predictions
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 10:54:31 PM »
I know no one believes this, but I'll say it again. Statistically, Haanif was a better overall player last season than he was as a freshman. The difference between the two was that he played for a crappy team his first year where we had no better options and he played for a good team his second year with better options.
The sniff and smell tests say otherwise, especially during the BE season.  Bottom line is that he really struggled as the season progressed.  Stats be damned.  That's why Wojo kept giving him fewer minutes as the season wore on.  Politifact rates you Pants on Fire!

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 11:07:08 PM »
Marquette is really going to need Cam Marotta's leadership this year. 

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »
The sniff and smell tests say otherwise, especially during the BE season.  Bottom line is that he really struggled as the season progressed.  Stats be damned.  That's why Wojo kept giving him fewer minutes as the season wore on.  Politifact rates you Pants on Fire!

Haniff was horrible the last month last year.  He spent most of his time on the bench where he belonged.  I hope he really upped his game but unless he figures out
a jump shot and develops a mid-range game I can see alot of time on the bench again this year.  He will get his opportunity, will probably start off starting at the 3,
lets see what happens.  This team really will be at the bottom of the Big East unless Cain and Froling really are good.  I was told Eke may redshirt.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 11:44:24 PM »

I don't think its so much that I'm overvaluing HC's sophomore year. It was a bad year. It's more that everyone way overvalued his freshman year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 11:54:54 PM »
I don't think its so much that I'm overvaluing HC's sophomore year. It was a bad year. It's more that everyone way overvalued his freshman year.

Competition knew how to play him, take away his set shot, sure he can get by his man but he does not have the ability to use his right hand so the bigs could stop
him knowing he can only use his left hand, plus he has a little white man disease, can not jump nor is he quick off his feet.  Played great as a freshman, but you could
see is weaknesses as they were glaring.   Like I said, lets hope the coaching staff worked with him and he turns out to be like Vander his junior year, as Vander was
horrible his first 2 years.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 07:28:14 AM »
I know no one believes this, but I'll say it again. Statistically, Haanif was a better overall player last season than he was as a freshman. The difference between the two was that he played for a crappy team his first year where we had no better options and he played for a good team his second year with better options.

It's not as simple as that. He had a better offensive rating, but that was mainly down to his turnover percentage improving. His usage, eFG%, and shooting percentages at all three levels were down.

Further, consider recency bias. As a freshman, in his final 11 games (from February on) he had ORtg of 100+ in 7/11 games. He played 30+ minutes in 10/11 games & never played less than 21 minutes. He was one of the key components on that team and he was highly effective. As a sophomore, in his final 11 games, he had offensive ratings of 100+ in 3/11 games. Two of those were stints of 15 or fewer minutes in which he scored 4 combined points.He played 30+ minutes in 1/11 games & was below 20 minutes in 5/11 (the last 5). He became less effective in fewer minutes.

Haanif's "improvement" was almost solely down to not playing the point, which impacted his turnovers. There was no other metric that impacts offensive rating that showed enough improvement to actually explain that change. As the season went on, freshman Haani improved down the stretch & became more effective against conference competition, as a sophomore he declined down the stretch & became less effective against conference competition.

I'm hoping he can bounce back, but there are a lot of reasons people feel he was NOT a better overall player, & there are plenty of justifiable reasons why he declined, especially when you consider his play down the stretch as we battled for a NCAA berth. His only "good game" in the last two months was the win at DePaul. I would agree that from November-January he was improved, but it's really hard to defend the last third of the season.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
It's not as simple as that. He had a better offensive rating, but that was mainly down to his turnover percentage improving. His usage, eFG%, and shooting percentages at all three levels were down.

Further, consider recency bias. As a freshman, in his final 11 games (from February on) he had ORtg of 100+ in 7/11 games. He played 30+ minutes in 10/11 games & never played less than 21 minutes. He was one of the key components on that team and he was highly effective. As a sophomore, in his final 11 games, he had offensive ratings of 100+ in 3/11 games. Two of those were stints of 15 or fewer minutes in which he scored 4 combined points.He played 30+ minutes in 1/11 games & was below 20 minutes in 5/11 (the last 5). He became less effective in fewer minutes.

Haanif's "improvement" was almost solely down to not playing the point, which impacted his turnovers. There was no other metric that impacts offensive rating that showed enough improvement to actually explain that change. As the season went on, freshman Haani improved down the stretch & became more effective against conference competition, as a sophomore he declined down the stretch & became less effective against conference competition.

I'm hoping he can bounce back, but there are a lot of reasons people feel he was NOT a better overall player, & there are plenty of justifiable reasons why he declined, especially when you consider his play down the stretch as we battled for a NCAA berth. His only "good game" in the last two months was the win at DePaul. I would agree that from November-January he was improved, but it's really hard to defend the last third of the season.

This team lacks a true power forward so Sam will man that position again.  The team will mostly be undersized this year so Cheatham probably play a lot at the 3.
The following year with Joey and Ed Morrow, there will be size at the 4, size everywhere.  In saying that, Cheatham can be the X factor the next 2 years.  Play like
Jalen Rose or play yourself out of playing time, up to him.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:44 AM »
This team lacks a true power forward so Sam will man that position again.  The team will mostly be undersized this year so Cheatham probably play a lot at the 3.
The following year with Joey and Ed Morrow, there will be size at the 4, size everywhere.  In saying that, Cheatham can be the X factor the next 2 years.  Play like
Jalen Rose or play yourself out of playing time, up to him.

Froling, John, Eke, Anim and Cain can all play the 4.  Froling will probably play more C than PF.  John is the definition of a 4, but is a freshman.  Anim and Cain probably closer to SF.  I actually think Sam's days of the playing the 4 will be mostly over once Froling is eligible.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
Froling, John, Eke, Anim and Cain can all play the 4.  Froling will probably play more C than PF.  John is the definition of a 4, but is a freshman.  Anim and Cain probably closer to SF.  I actually think Sam's days of the playing the 4 will be mostly over once Froling is eligible.

Is Froling now a power forward, great, but if you think playing Heldt, Froling and Sam together, something will be missing.  Like Athleticism!  There in the Big East
not the MCC.  Eke is not ready yet.  Still 2 to3 years away.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »
Is Froling now a power forward, great, but if you think playing Heldt, Froling and Sam together, something will be missing.  Like Athleticism!  There in the Big East

Those three will be playing together.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »

I suspect those three will spend a ton of time on the court together this season.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
At an advanced age, seems ludicrous to make sweeping generalizations with such certainty.

Man, that was casting bait.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
My age isn't that advanced and please present an alternative scenario that gets us to the dance.

Well for me if 75-80% of that happens, I think we're dancing.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
If I said that our starting line up was going to be Heldt, Hauser, Haanif, Rowsey, and Howard, most would acknowledge that our team is going to be small.     Our most experienced bench players in this scenario are Froling and Sacar, who have one semester of limited D-1 play and one season of limited D-1 play respectively.    We have 4 freshmen that we assume are going to be good at some point, but none of whom were a consensus top 100 recruit.    There is no doubt that there is talent here.    How soon will the talent contribute?    I am optimistically thinking bubble team.    But an inexperienced roster like this can go sideways quickly. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
I think Nova/PC/Hall/X are clear NCAA teams.
I think MU/Butler/Creighton are teams that could make the tourney
I think Depaul/SJU/Georgetown are just not good. SJU could be but they won't be

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »
If I said that our starting line up was going to be Heldt, Hauser, Haanif, Rowsey, and Howard, most would acknowledge that our team is going to be small.     Our most experienced bench players in this scenario are Froling and Sacar, who have one semester of limited D-1 play and one season of limited D-1 play respectively.    We have 4 freshmen that we assume are going to be good at some point, but none of whom were a consensus top 100 recruit.    There is no doubt that there is talent here.    How soon will the talent contribute?    I am optimistically thinking bubble team.    But an inexperienced roster like this can go sideways quickly.

I agree with your assessment of the team.   Lots of question marks, your above starting line-up has some issues, and I am not sure about Froling or Sacar, if they can become difference makers then they have a chance.  John will help,  Cain and Elliott are so skinny not sure if they are Big East ready.  I see Ellliott or Cain getting sometime at the 2, just to play some D.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »
I didn't realize how many people were down on Froling. I think many are going to be pleasantly surprised.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
I think Nova/PC/Hall/X are clear NCAA teams.
I think MU/Butler/Creighton are teams that could make the tourney
I think Depaul/SJU/Georgetown are just not good. SJU could be but they won't be

Pretty much sums up my thoughts
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
I didn't realize how many people were down on Froling. I think many are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Agreed. I think Harry will be far more impactful than many are giving him credit for.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »
Once eligible, I expect Harry to start.  I include Heldt in my hypothetical for the "returning 5 starters' crowd.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
Once eligible, I expect Harry to start.  I include Heldt in my hypothetical for the "returning 5 starters' crowd.
Yep once Harry is eligible I think starters are Markus, Rowsey, Sam, Harry, Heldt. Then Theo coming in probably for Heldt and Harry moving to the 5, Haanif in for one of Rowsey/Markus.
Goal is National Championship

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »
Yep once Harry is eligible I think starters are Markus, Rowsey, Sam, Harry, Heldt. Then Theo coming in probably for Heldt and Harry moving to the 5, Haanif in for one of Rowsey/Markus.
Don't think Heldt and Harry wil start together or even play together. Neither is rangy or bouncy, so it's probably not a good combo.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »
Don't think Heldt and Harry wil start together or even play together. Neither is rangy or bouncy, so it's probably not a good combo.

May not be the match made in heaven, but they're certainly going to play together.  Harry is a PF.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 03:16:23 PM »
Imagining Harry Froling trying to guard some of the athletes that play power forward in the BE is something that might give me nightmares.  If Heldt and Luke couldn't play together because neither could defend a BE power forward, I'm not quite sold that Harry and Heldt can get that done either.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback