[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer  (Read 7169 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Transfer
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:53:19 PM »
Obviously wojo and his guys wouldn't be going after grimes so hard if he wasn't that confident someone was leaving besides rowsey after this year. Any ideas who you think that could be?

MU82

• All American
Re: Transfer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
Not obvious at all.

Maybe somebody gets "encouraged" to transfer only if we get Grimes, eh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:30 PM »
Obviously wojo and his guys wouldn't be going after grimes so hard if he wasn't that confident someone was leaving besides rowsey after this year. Any ideas who you think that could be?

I wouldn't say he's confident right now that someone is leaving - but if Grimes comes either someone will see the writing on the wall or Wojo will read it for him.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:26:59 PM »
When's the last year someone hasn't left?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »
MU wins the championship, half the team leaves early.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:39:59 PM »
To date there has been 849 D1 transfers (including maybe 20ish guys who transferred from D2 or lower to D1).

There are 351 teams in Division 1.

That's an average of 2-3 transfers per team.

This also doesn't include players who decide to go pro, leave for personal reasons, or have season ending injuries....though it does include walk ons who don't take up scholarships.

You don't have to have to know that a specific player is going to leave to recruit as if a player is going to leave.

ABR
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
My guess would be that Harry Froling may be considering going pro in Australia. First, He had a previous relationship with one of the feeder teams to their NBL Pro League. Second, before he came to MU he was considering his pro options. Third, the work he has done getting in shape makes him more valuable over there. Fourth, the NBL put in a new salary structure that gives some priority to Australians and he can make a low 6 figure salary up front. Fifth if he does well here ,and does well there in that league ,he can still have a good pathway to NBA.

I am not saying Froling is going pro, but looking at our roster, he would be one of the players that has alternatives that are worth considering and make sense.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:01:41 PM »
Don't see why Harry would transfer just to give us half a season of play.  Fortunately, your guesses are usually incorrect.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »
My guess would be that Harry Froling may be considering going pro in Australia. First, He had a previous relationship with one of the feeder teams to their NBL Pro League. Second, before he came to MU he was considering his pro options. Third, the work he has done getting in shape makes him more valuable over there. Fourth, the NBL put in a new salary structure that gives some priority to Australians and he can make a low 6 figure salary up front. Fifth if he does well here ,and does well there in that league ,he can still have a good pathway to NBA.

Pretty sure Froling wants to take a crack at the NBA before he settles for the NBL.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »
I asked one of the players about this, and he stated that it seems one or two kids leave MU for one reason or another every year and it happens at all schools
around the country.  If they get Grimes, there will be a player leaving, simple as that.  To say who, right now is ridiculous.  Play it out.  5 star recruit would give MU
a great chance to win the Big East and move forward in the NCAA tournament.  Wojo has a lot to sell right now.  Lets see if he gets him on campus.  Rather see him
come to game, a big game.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »

I am not saying Froling is going pro, but looking at our roster, he would be one of the players that has alternatives that are worth considering and make sense.

Yep, if I remember there was talk that his Sister might be going back soon.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »
These things work themselves out.  At this time last year, who would have predicted Carter and Cohen transfer at semester?  I could think of plausible hypothetical scenarios for just about everyone on the roster that would lead to them leaving.  But it would only be baseless speculation.  So let's see if we're fortunate enough to land Grimes and see how things play out.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
These things work themselves out.  At this time last year, who would have predicted Carter and Cohen transfer at semester?  I could think of plausible hypothetical scenarios for just about everyone on the roster that would lead to them leaving.  But it would only be baseless speculation.  So let's see if we're fortunate enough to land Grimes and see how things play out.

I really don't think we should wait.  If we cut everyone now, we can sell Grimes on truly being the only guy here next year!  No other team can offer that experience.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »
Not that the discussion isn't interesting so no put down intended but it's waaaay too early to try to worry about it.  If we're lucky enough to get Grimes, things will settle out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »

Just out of curiosity what's the plausible scenario for sam?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
A player could pay his own way for a year and there is at least 1 family who wouldn't have to think twice about that amount of money. Not saying it would be an option.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
Sam is fooled by Buzz's charade and mistakenly shows up in Blacksburg to play thinking Marquette has relocated there.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »
Transfers are usually the players, who do not get to play as much as they thought they were going to. Once we hit the Big East season we will be able to see who is keeping the bench warm.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 12:59:14 PM »

I said just about anyone on the roster, meaning almost but not quite everyone.  Sam would be one of the 2 or 3 I can't think of a plausible scenario.  The most plausible scenarios are one or more bench players leaving for more playing time.  Who that would be remains to be seen.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »
Cheatham.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »

The vast majority of transfers are guys who are in over their heads at high D1 schools, so look to the bottom of the roster.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »

Hey, Hey!  Let's get so excited about possibly getting a player that we start to spend time throwing current players under the bus!!!

You're a prince.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Marquette2022

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 11:33:11 PM »
I'm sorry. I really don't understand the point of trying to speculate this. We don't know anything unless someone has been having lunch with wojo everyday now and hes giving out some information. We have our roster right now. Enjoy it. Enjoy having everyone on it, so when the time comes that someone does transfer you can say you enjoyed having him as a part of the program.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 09:02:55 AM »
Could there be a possibility of a grad transfer?
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »
Could there be a possibility of a grad transfer?

Unlikely, only juniors are Cheatham and Heldt. Anim and Morrow would also be finishing their 3rd year. I'm not aware of any player on track to graduate in 3 years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »
Unlikely, only juniors are Cheatham and Heldt. Anim and Morrow would also be finishing their 3rd year. I'm not aware of any player on track to graduate in 3 years.
That is what I thought. Could Anim maybe taken enough credits plus summer to be able to do it?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
5 years ago half of the board would be apoplectic about the possibility of over signing - we've come a long way!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
5 years ago half of the board would be apoplectic about the possibility of over signing - we've come a long way!
While true, 5 years ago it would have been for a Mbao, McMorrow, or Rosoboro level player, not a 5*, so apples and oranges to a degree
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
M2N?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
While true, 5 years ago it would have been for a Mbao, McMorrow, or Rosoboro level player, not a 5*, so apples and oranges to a degree

That's just rationalization on our collective parts.  The act is the same, it's either ethical or not.  The ends shouldn't justify the means in this case.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:44:24 AM by mu_hilltopper »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:44:11 AM by mu_hilltopper »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 12:10:06 PM »

Hmm....I guess we have some under 14 year olds on this site after all.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:44:02 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »

Somebody wasn't paying attention in Philosophy class!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
Furst, I got wey bedder taste dan dat and woodant be witin 2 miles of her. Secondly, doubt she'd get a rise from dat action, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
But I was in Psychology class

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
Furst, I got wey bedder taste dan dat and woodant be witin 2 miles of her. Secondly, doubt she'd get a rise from dat action, ai na?
So tired of these old stereotypes:  just because someone is emotional, reactionary and less qualified for a position we use female adjectives to label them.  The president is all of these things and many many more, but clearly he's male.  I don't blame you for not wanting to get within 2 miles of him though.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:59:13 PM by naginiF »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2017, 11:01:46 PM »
So tired of these old stereotypes:  just because someone is emotional, reactionary and less qualified for a position we use female adjectives to label them.  The president is all of these things and many many more, but clearly he's male.  I don't blame you for not wanting to get within 2 miles of him though.

We have a couple guys here who can't make it through the day without disparaging women.

Only a guess, but I'd bet in real life, no women would want to get within 2 miles of them.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »

My philosophy was to think independently....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 09:07:32 AM »
My philosophy was to think independently....

It was a joke about "situation ethics" - I actually took that class at MU.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
To flip this discussion to the other side, Wojo has been pretty successful in landing high impact transfers both in the graduate transfer and traditional transfer.  Rowsey, Froling, Marrow, Carlino, and Reinhardt, plus Walter helping to land us a one and done freshman.

Can't wait to bring Kostas in!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter