[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: More Signs Football Has Peaked In Popularity  (Read 22756 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: More Signs Football Has Peaked In Popularity
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
I'm still not seeing why it is so danged important that the NFL has peaked.   It probably has.   So?    Everything ebbs and flows.   And CTE is going to have a longer term, deeper impact than protests.   I accept and celebrate the notion that football's popularity may be on the wane. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2017, 05:37:39 PM »
I'm still not seeing why it is so danged important that the NFL has peaked.   It probably has.   So?    Everything ebbs and flows.   And CTE is going to have a longer term, deeper impact than protests.   I accept and celebrate the notion that football's popularity may be on the wane.

Yep. The decline in popularity has been going on for several years and has roots in, among other things, the prevalence of cord-cutting, lack of competitiveness, changes to game-play, diversionary current events which operate like its own form of "entertainment," and of course the awareness of permanent injury.

To attribute the NFL's flagging ratings to a single set of protests is reductive and impulsive.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »
... because it goes against your political viewpoint.  And since every rationalization you put forth has fallen apart, you're down to calling it "short-term noise."  See the post above regarding your short-term noise.

Then, to make yourself feel better, you take a shot a Trump on some twisted made-up premise.  What is the point of that other than, again, to make yourself feel better and superior?

Thank god you're still long Apple as little else in your sad life seems to be working.

So a poll taken four days after all the hullaballoo "proves" that it's not short-term noise? How do you handle investing, Smuggles? The CEO hiccupped! Sell, sell, sell!!!!

You're a piece of work, as usual. You need medication - stat!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2017, 10:53:41 PM »
Yep. The decline in popularity has been going on for several years and has roots in, among other things, the prevalence of cord-cutting, lack of competitiveness, changes to game-play, diversionary current events which operate like its own form of "entertainment," and of course the awareness of permanent injury.

To attribute the NFL's flagging ratings to a single set of protests is reductive and impulsive.

MLB Ratings are up this year.  Are they not impacted by cord cutting, diversionary current events and other forms of entertainment?

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2017, 10:56:32 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2017, 11:15:41 PM »
Speaking of Michael Bennett, the other side of the story came out today with video.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20863146/las-vegas-police-release-video-incident-involving-seattle-seahawks-defensive-end-michael-bennett

Yep. Two sides looked at the same footage and both came away thinking that their side was correct. Without seeing the video myself, I can't draw a conclusion either way.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »
MLB Ratings are up this year.  Are they not impacted by cord cutting, diversionary current events and other forms of entertainment?

Ratings down in 18 of 29 US markets

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/07/17/Media/MLB-ratings.aspx?

Last week's Sunday night baseball drew the smallest audience since 2013.

http://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/dodgers-nationals-terrible-ratings-espn-fox-last-weekend.html

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2017, 09:14:18 AM »
NHL is slowly becoming my favorite pro sport

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »
Speaking of Michael Bennett, the other side of the story came out today with video.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20863146/las-vegas-police-release-video-incident-involving-seattle-seahawks-defensive-end-michael-bennett

This seems irrelevant since Bennett didn't accuse the cops of excessive force. He alleged they singled him out and pointed a gun to his head for no reason other than his race.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2017, 11:40:59 AM »
Ticket sales this week off 31% in one service, 18% in the other. 

NFL starting to get the message?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-national-anthem-protest-denting-ticket-sales/

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
This seems irrelevant since Bennett didn't accuse the cops of excessive force. He alleged they singled him out and pointed a gun to his head for no reason other than his race.

Excuse me?

"The Officers' excessive use of force was unbearable," Bennett wrote. "I felt helpless as I lay there on the ground handcuffed facing the real-life threat of being killed. All I could think of was 'I'm going to die for no other reason than I am black and my skin color is somehow a threat.'"

I believe it was also you that was concerned about a lack of bodycam video, fortunately Vegas has cameras everywhere including those of the other police officers, who were also minorities incidentally.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20604486/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-accuses-las-vegas-police-excessive-force-considering-civil-lawsuit

Irrelevant?  Completely relevant.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2017, 01:50:24 PM »
  ok, except for the officer on top of bennett not having his body cam on, there was still plenty of other video available to review.  the vegas police will have to do their own investigation as to why the initial arresting officer did not have his body cam on.  that aside, they had over 860 other videos to look at-oops! 

no excessive force nor racial profiling was exhibited-they shook hands and disbursed

michael bennett does owe an apology as his initial statements could have or still could cause other officers across the nation to unnecessarily be in harms way by some thug who acts out on bennett's words.  bennett was very disingenuous at best-not cool given the environment we are in

don't...don't don't don't don't

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2017, 02:32:38 PM »
https://deadspin.com/new-michael-bennett-video-shows-exactly-whatever-you-wa-1819024503

So let me get this straight.  The video is poor quality and does not have good accounts of why he was arrested or what happened right before being arrested, yet Chico's is adamant that this totally vindicates the police and that Bennett is a liar.

Seems consistent with Chico's ongoing agenda.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
So let me get this straight.  The video is poor quality and does not have good accounts of why he was arrested or what happened right before being arrested, yet Chico's is adamant that this totally vindicates the police and that Bennett is a liar.

Seems consistent with Chico's ongoing agenda.

I've seen this on other message boards.  Those who are predisposed to one side or the other find what they want to find in this video.  It does mean that there is no reason to press charges because there isn't enough evidence, but it certainly doesn't mean Bennett needs to apologize.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
Ratings down in 18 of 29 US markets

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/07/17/Media/MLB-ratings.aspx?

Last week's Sunday night baseball drew the smallest audience since 2013.

http://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/dodgers-nationals-terrible-ratings-espn-fox-last-weekend.html

Look we get it, you think this is a terrible country, just like Kaepernick, and want the players to continue kneeling and telling everyone we suck.  So you want to so badly believe that the country agrees with your unstable ideas so you keep trying in vain to convince us that the country does not care about the kneeling and nothing is really happening.

These posts are more a reflection on you, and your frightening beliefs, then any real information.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »

Adam Silver is warning NBA players to stand at for the National Anthem.  more proof that of the 320 million people in this country, only one person thinks this is NOT hurting the NFL ... Pakuni.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/nba-suggests-teams-unity-ideas-reminds-anthem-rule-50192923

Tatum said the league supports and encourages players to express their views on matters that are important to them, while reminding of the rule that players, coaches, and trainers stand respectfully for the anthem.

"The league office will determine how to deal with any possible instance in which a player, coach or trainer does not stand for the anthem. (Teams do not have the discretion to waive this rule)," the memo says.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

Adam Silver is warning NBA players to stand at for the National Anthem.  more proof that of the 320 million people in this country, only one person thinks this is NOT hurting the NFL ... Pakuni.

You probably should try being less of a hairy wet cat. 

Pakuni wasn't saying that the NFL hasn't been hurt by the protests, he was disputing Chicos' #fakenews claim that MLB ratings are up.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »
So a poll taken four days after all the hullaballoo "proves" that it's not short-term noise? How do you handle investing, Smuggles? The CEO hiccupped! Sell, sell, sell!!!!

You're a piece of work, as usual. You need medication - stat!

Every poll taken since Kaepernick started this last year has suggested this is hurting the image of the league. 

THat's why the Packers pussied out from their protest last week and all stood Thursday and Rodgers even gave tickets to cops for the game.  Five days earlier had Rodgers given tickets to cops he would have been chastised as a white racist and Mark Murphy would have considered punishing him for disrespecting the black players.  But now they understand what a major F-U this has been they are desperately trying to undo it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2017, 04:55:49 PM »
Every poll taken since Kaepernick started this last year has suggested this is hurting the image of the league. 

Five days earlier had Rodgers given tickets to cops he would have been chastised as a white racist and Mark Murphy would have considered punishing him for disrespecting the black players.

You have said a lot of ridiculous things in this thread, but this moves near the top of the list.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »
No sport wraps itself in the flag more than NASCAR does. It is a lily-white sport owned by lily-white rich folks, filled with lily-white "athletes," watched by lily-white fans.

Despite all this patriotism, NASCAR ratings have been going down for years. This past season, they tanked. They would kill for the NFL's "ratings problem."

http://awfulannouncing.com/ratings/foxfs1-ends-2017-nascar-season-yet-another-ratings-low.html

Fox Sports has ended another NASCAR season and it continued its theme for 2017 finishing with another ratings low. The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race at Sonoma on FS1 Sunday finished with a 2.0 final rating and 3.2 million viewers. That’s down 17% in ratings and viewership from last year (2.4/3.9 million).

That’s the lowest rating for the race dating back to 1998 and lowest viewership since 2002. Sports Media Watch points out that when the race aired on TNT in 2012, Sonoma had a 3.3 rating and 5.2 million viewers. For the season, Fox/FS1’s 15 Cup races either set or tied a multi-year ratings low. Twelve races set or tied multi-year viewership lows.

Whitey loves him some all-American patriotic sports! Plus, they've got Danica Patrick showing side boob in all kinds of advertisements.

How is that decline possible?

I won't even bother putting together a montage of photos showing NASCAR fans disrespecting the flag in all sorts of ways - wearing it as clothing, making doggie bandanas out of it, using it for tablecloths and - the down-home favorite - flying it on the same pole as the Confederate flag.

But those are some real patriots! Yee-haw!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
  ok, except for the officer on top of bennett not having his body cam on, there was still plenty of other video available to review.  the vegas police will have to do their own investigation as to why the initial arresting officer did not have his body cam on.  that aside, they had over 860 other videos to look at-oops! 

no excessive force nor racial profiling was exhibited-they shook hands and disbursed

michael bennett does owe an apology as his initial statements could have or still could cause other officers across the nation to unnecessarily be in harms way by some thug who acts out on bennett's words.  bennett was very disingenuous at best-not cool given the environment we are in

Says one side. The other side said the exact same video proved there was profiling and excessive force. And shaking hands means nothing. If someone just held a gun to my head and told me he would "blow my fing head" off as Bennett alleged, I would shake the man's hand if he offered it out of fear of what would happen if I refused.

No one here has any idea what happened that night. Claiming one side is definitely in the right or wrong is dishonest at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »
this isn't news-it's opinion and it fits your agenda-nice try though

I never claimed it was anything.  I simply pasted a link.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2017, 08:37:24 PM »
Says one side. The other side said the exact same video proved there was profiling and excessive force. And shaking hands means nothing. If someone just held a gun to my head and told me he would "blow my fing head" off as Bennett alleged, I would shake the man's hand if he offered it out of fear of what would happen if I refused.

No one here has any idea what happened that night. Claiming one side is definitely in the right or wrong is dishonest at this point.

We are in complete agreement on your last sentence.  As you will see in my responses, I did not say one side was right or wrong.  However, I did point to the other side of the story which was not presented here and most definitely not presented in our media.  It was supposition, cops dirty, race bating, etc.  How many here or in the press automatically took Mr. Bennett's words as true, claiming that version or side was correct?  Or espousing that police purposely didn't turn on body cameras? 

Maybe what Mr. Bennett said was true, but as is almost always the case there are other sides to the story, usually many sides.  The quick rush to judgment here and in the media often forgets this.  We should do better, but you are correct that no one here has any idea what happened that night, but I'm glad to have provided some additional view points since so many already made up their minds.