[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU ranked 74th for home court advantage  (Read 3997 times)

Marcus92

• All American
MU ranked 74th for home court advantage
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
A few weeks ago, Ken Pomeroy posted a follow-up article on home-court advantage:

https://kenpom.com/blog/

One of the assumptions is that some teams enjoy a bigger advantage than others. Based on six seasons of data, he's predicted the home-court advantage for every Division I team.

Marquette's advantage calculates out to 3.6 points per game — 74th among the 351 teams, or within the top 25th percentile.

That seems clear enough. Numbers are numbers. Figuring out what that means is much more difficult. Is the Bradley Center a challenging environment for opposing teams? Is MU simply more comfortable at home and thus performs better? Do coaching, team experience, preparation and mental toughness play a role?

For example, take a look at the teams ranked in the KenPom Top 25. Only three of them — Kentucky, Iowa State and Oklahoma State — also rank among the top 25 for home-court advantage.

That could just be normal variance. But it does make me wonder if some of the traditional assumptions about home-court advantage are overstated.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: MU ranked 74th for home court advantage
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
A few weeks ago, Ken Pomeroy posted a follow-up article on home-court advantage:

https://kenpom.com/blog/

One of the assumptions is that some teams enjoy a bigger advantage than others. Based on six seasons of data, he's predicted the home-court advantage for every Division I team.

Marquette's advantage calculates out to 3.6 points per game — 74th among the 351 teams, or within the top 25th percentile.

That seems clear enough. Numbers are numbers. Figuring out what that means is much more difficult. Is the Bradley Center a challenging environment for opposing teams? Is MU simply more comfortable at home and thus performs better? Do coaching, team experience, preparation and mental toughness play a role?

For example, take a look at the teams ranked in the KenPom Top 25. Only three of them — Kentucky, Iowa State and Oklahoma State — also rank among the top 25 for home-court advantage.

That could just be normal variance. But it does make me wonder if some of the traditional assumptions about home-court advantage are overstated.

If he used the last 6 seasons, I'm surprised we are that high.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »
If he used the last 6 seasons, I'm surprised we are that high.

You know that includes the time when we had the longest homegame win streak in D1.
Have some patience, FFS.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 01:53:40 PM »

Given that his definition of home-court advantage is based on the differential between home scoring and away scoring, I would guess that the teams in the top 25 are likely very consistent and therefore do not have a large differential between their home and away scoring.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
Given that his definition of home-court advantage is based on the differential between home scoring and away scoring, I would guess that the teams in the top 25 are likely very consistent and therefore do not have a large differential between their home and away scoring.

That was exactly my thought.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
You know that includes the time when we had the longest homegame win streak in D1.

It also includes the time we lost to Nebraska-Omaha at home, so it all evens out.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
The bat alone should have been worth a point!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »
The bat alone should have been worth a point!
Only a point? He almost killed a head coach
Goal is National Championship

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
just for grins, i'd love to see that stat when we played in the arena/mecca.  that place was nuts!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
Be careful. As the author states, "The result is that determining which team has the best home-court advantage is impossible with any degree of certainty. Even distinguishing between the tenth-best and 60th-best home-court advantage is on shaky ground. It’s probably best to think of of home-court rankings in groups of three. Teams rated in the top-third probably have an above-average home-court advantage and teams in bottom-third probably have a below average home-court advantage."

So, 74th, in the person's mind who ranked them there, means... "well, not sure"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
Be careful. As the author states, "The result is that determining which team has the best home-court advantage is impossible with any degree of certainty. Even distinguishing between the tenth-best and 60th-best home-court advantage is on shaky ground. It’s probably best to think of of home-court rankings in groups of three. Teams rated in the top-third probably have an above-average home-court advantage and teams in bottom-third probably have a below average home-court advantage."

So, 74th, in the person's mind who ranked them there, means... "well, not sure"

Doesn't it mean to that person: "74th is in the top-third, which is probably above-average"?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 09:33:48 AM »
I think it means that we beat Villanova last year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
This just reminds me of one of my pet peeves.
Wojo orders his players to run out the clock when we are up and the possession is less than 30 seconds. In fact we have actually let the clock expire with a second to go instead of shooting the ball. This may have an effect on our home court advantage rating, but I really do not care about that.
What irks me is putting it the walk ons with less than a minute to go and then making them dribble the clock out. Let the walk ons have a chance to play.
In the end if we end up winning by 12, 22, 32 or 42 points, because a walk on made a basket is that really poor sportsmanship?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
Wojo orders his players to run out the clock when we are up and the possession is less than 30 seconds. In fact we have actually let the clock expire with a second to go instead of shooting the ball. This may have an effect on our home court advantage rating, but I really do not care about that.
What irks me is putting it the walk ons with less than a minute to go and then making them dribble the clock out. Let the walk ons have a chance to play.
In the end if we end up winning by 12, 22, 32 or 42 points, because a walk on made a basket is that really poor sportsmanship?

On the list of things to complain about, this is pretty far down.  Whatever Wojo wants to do in this situation is fine with me.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »

On the list of things to complain about, this is pretty far down.  Whatever Wojo wants to do in this situation is fine with me.

LOL seriously!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »

I hate when we dribble it around doing nothing when there had been 31 seconds left ... because we get charged with a turnover at :01. Makes our stats look bad, and that no doubt prevents us from being a No. 1 seed in the NCAAs.

In fact, if Wojo does that again, I will stop being a Marquette fan and will start rooting for the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
I hate when we dribble it around doing nothing when there had been 31 seconds left ... because we get charged with a turnover at :01. Makes our stats look bad, and that no doubt prevents us from being a No. 1 seed in the NCAAs.

Well, mainly that and the score of the secret pre-season scrimmage.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
LOL seriously!

Now that this has been brought to my attention I'm going to have to consider canceling my season tickets...... I mean if walkons aren't going to be allowed to shoot in the last few seconds of a game already decided what fun is it to attend the games?  ::)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »
I always stay to the end of games. I enjoy seeing the walk ons get a chance to play. They work hard all year long, so give them a chance to play in the final 30 seconds.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »

In fact, if Wojo does that again, I will stop being a Marquette fan and will start rooting for the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs!

And, they have a mascot!

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »

you would have developed a nasty drug/alcohol issue watching al go to his 4 corner offense (realizing there was no shot clock back then however)
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback