[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 27781 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
If there was money to be made, Heise would be playing up the human suffering.

Or telling everyone how to play up the human suffering, only to be wrong.

And then not admit it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »
This creep is talking about going to games, as people suffer and lose everything, to prove what a man he is.  I'm guessing that he sets aside an hour of two to dance on some graves while he is there.

To even produce one loser like this is a red mark on this proud University.

Seriously, what is your point with this rant, other than to show your instability?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 06:58:04 PM »
Seriously, what is your point with this rant, other than to show your instability?

What was the point of yours besides showing your callousness?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »
What was the point of yours besides showing your callousness?

The character he plays on the internet needs everyone to know how unimpressed he is.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
First, define "destroyed."  90% to 95% is Houston is not flooded.  Many of the roads and highways are low-lying and they are flooded.  That's why the images of are mainly of streets flooded and not neighborhoods.

The problem is the streets create a logistical problem that supply (food, medical supplies) cannot get to neighborhoods until the water recedes.

Is it bad, yes?  Has the fourth largest city been destroyed?  No, not even close.  It will be largely back to normal by Christmas.

You sir, repeatedly prove that you know nothing. 

General estimates are that up to 50% of homes and businesses have suffered some water/flooding damage.  ~250,000 and climbing homes have been completely inundated by Harvey. 

The main hospitals were taking on water.

Saying largely back to normal by Christmas is saying the US 4th largest city is going to be significantly affected for 3 months.  Yeah...that's catastrophic. 

What is more amazing than all of the above is that you can repeatedly prove that you are actually more clueless than the already low bar we set for you. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:42:44 PM by forgetful »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
First, define "destroyed."  90% to 95% is Houston is not flooded.  Many of the roads and highways are low-lying and they are flooded.  That's why the images of are mainly of streets flooded and not neighborhoods.

The problem is the streets create a logistical problem that supply (food, medical supplies) cannot get to neighborhoods until the water recedes.

Is it bad, yes?  Has the fourth largest city been destroyed?  No, not even close.  It will be largely back to normal by Christmas.

They just said 30% of the county Houston is in is flooded.

3 months?  We had less damage from our two hurricanes, and a year later some places still had not recovered.  Hurricanes are devastating.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:48:02 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
I want to emphasize this point.    With the amount of refineries and chemical plants in the Houston metroplex, this is going end up being an environmental catastrophe that will take years to completely sort out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 08:42:15 PM »
I want to emphasize this point.    With the amount of refineries and chemical plants in the Houston metroplex, this is going end up being an environmental catastrophe that will take years to completely sort out.

There are very dangerous plants that have chemicals that must be kept cold or risk explosion.  Several have now had their cooing systems fail. 

Even if these sites do not explode, the chemical storage systems in many of these locations have been inundated.  My guess is much of the damage and environmental/health risks will never be fully reported.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »

Overall his message was fine.  I'm as anti-Trump as the next guy, but these criticisms are just silly.  Just remember the parable of the boy who cried wolf.

With all due respect, I guess this is where we differ. I don't think using the suffering of Americans to shill for his merchandise is a proper use of the Office..

Obama, the Bushes, Clinton, Reagan, Carter, etc., etc. would never have stooped to that level.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:08:52 PM by Jockey »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 08:59:49 PM »

You make a very good point. I think the problem is that there is no regard for the environment when these plants are built. (It also extends to other development.) I think people will find out why environmentalists are so adamant about protecting our wetlands.

As bad as this natural disaster would be under any circumstances, the destruction of the wetlands over the last 20 years in the area will make it much worse. The lack of proper storage and disposal of the petro by-products is also going to greatly affect the area.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 09:10:07 PM »
OK folks, relax.

1) Texans are tough and withstand anything. It's in their DNA.

2) Houston probably looks worse than it really is. That does not diminish suffering and loss, but it lends a sense of perspective.

3) That said, my nephew in Houston lost his car and has a home with six feet of water in it. He'll be recovering for months. Fortunately, he has an incredible family both in my brother (an MU grad) and his in-laws. He will be fine.

4) Finally, say what you want about President Trump. He cared enough to go down there and talk to people. When the President goes somewhere, so does the federal government. If the President makes something a priority, so too does the Agencies and Department of the Government. So, I am glad President Trump went to Houston and let people know he cared.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
4) Finally, say what you want about President Trump. He cared enough to go down there and talk to people. When the President goes somewhere, so does the federal government. If the President makes something a priority, so too does the Agencies and Department of the Government. So, I am glad President Trump went to Houston and let people know he cared.

FEMA had a center installed prior to the visit today from potus. And when potus moves on from the story of Harvey to the story of tax reform tomorrow, FEMA will still be there after it's no longer a priority for him.

Also, I don't think he went to Houston today.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »

Katrina hit on August 29, 2005, and Bush toured the area on September 2 - pretty much the same timeline between landfall and Trump's visit to Texas - and the overall Katrina response ended up being one of the most notable failures of the Bush presidency.

The key will be what happens over the coming days, weeks and months.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »
FEMA had a center installed prior to the visit today from potus. And when potus moves on from the story of Harvey to the story of tax reform tomorrow, FEMA will still be there after it's no longer a priority for him.

No argument but when the President shows up somewhere, it immediately becomes a priority. Period.

I don't care whether the President is Trump, Obama, Clinton or even Nixon. The effect is the same. Glad FEMA is on the job but having a President take interest sure helps.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
Guys guys guys, why fret?  You're making a mountain out of a molehill.  Heise is the smartest guy on Scoop, hence all his click numbers, and if he says you won't even know anything happened in Houston this year by Christmas, then damnit I'm all in.  Christmas it is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
No argument but when the President shows up somewhere, it immediately becomes a priority. Period.

I don't care whether the President is Trump, Obama, Clinton or even Nixon. The effect is the same. Glad FEMA is on the job but having a President take interest sure helps.

Very naive point of view.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:25 PM »
All I know is that while scoopers argue about the political optics and damage assessments, there's one person out there right now dirty and tired somewhere in the field doing his job.  Guess where that ranks as the measure of a man?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
All I know is that while scoopers argue about the political optics and damage assessments, there's one person out there right now dirty and tired somewhere in the field doing his job.  Guess where that ranks as the measure of a man?

Luckily, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of "one persons" out there right now doing everything they can to save lives.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 10:22:17 PM »
Luckily, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of "one persons" out there right now doing everything they can to save lives.

Yep.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 11:11:08 PM »
Guys guys guys, why fret?  You're making a mountain out of a molehill.  Heise is the smartest guy on Scoop, hence all his click numbers, and if he says you won't even know anything happened in Houston this year by Christmas, then damnit I'm all in.  Christmas it is.

What an a$$hole!  You're nw active rooting for a major American city to be proven "destroyed" so you can win a stupid internet argument?  You are very sick.

And that goes for the rest of you, why you take joy in "proving" Houston is destroyed?"  What sick pleasure do you get out of it?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2017, 11:12:22 PM »
I hope all in Houston recover over time. Many lost everything. Some will never completely recover.

As for the politics of it all, I'll leave that to others. Cuz, you know, that's how I roll!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 11:16:37 PM »
There are very dangerous plants that have chemicals that must be kept cold or risk explosion.  Several have now had their cooing systems fail. 

Even if these sites do not explode, the chemical storage systems in many of these locations have been inundated.  My guess is much of the damage and environmental/health risks will never be fully reported.

Watch CNBC tomorrow ... they have been touring these plants live on TV for the last two days.  They are all dry and ready to start up again ... as soon as their employees can make it back to work.

And it is typical of you to assume that companies lie and deceive.  I expect nothing less from you.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:23:01 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »
Watch CNBC tomorrow ... they have been touring these plants live on TV for the last two days.  They are all dry and ready to start up again ... as soon as their employees can make it back to work.

A chemical plant in Crosby, Texas was in critical condition Tuesday night after its refrigeration system and inundated backup power generators failed, raising the possibility that the volatile chemicals on the site would explode. Arkema, a maker of organic peroxides commonly used by the plastics and rubber industries, evacuated all personnel from the plant and was attempting to operate the facility remotely.

ExxonMobil acknowledged Tuesday that Hurricane Harvey damaged two of its refineries, causing the release of hazardous pollutants. The acknowledgment, in a regulatory filing with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, follows repeated complaints on Twitter of an “unbearable” chemical smell over parts of Houston. However, it was not immediately clear what caused the smell.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »

And it is typical of you to assume that companies lie and deceive.  I expect nothing less from you.

Let's see here, one of us knows people that work at such plants and work for commissions investigating some of these very issues. 

The other likes to post news articles and act as if they are his own independent thought. 

One of us likes to pretend that Harvey isn't a big deal and people will quickly forget about it.

The other had to console a student today as they waited to find out if their family was evacuated by the coast guard before their home and neighborhood were flooded by an emergency release of one of the dams. 

I typically ignore almost everything you post.  I felt compelled to respond to your statement earlier, because of the disgusting nonchalant attitude you took regarding this catastrophe, all while families are suffering, people have died and heroes are working day and night to save people.  But tell me again how it won't disrupt your watching a football game.