collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 28150 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Hurricane Harvey
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
Hurricane Harvey has really destroyed Houston. I think it is going to take many years for the city to recover .  Thought needs to be given to the wisdom of  relocating in the flood zones.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »
Lotsa tornadoes in Oklahoma. Let's empty that sucker out.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »
Wow, this is something.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 01:39:50 PM »
Guess we should shut down LA and San Diego....earthquakes and forest fires ya know.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:48:13 PM »
Get everyone off those Hawaiian Islands and their volcanoes.

While we're on it...Mount Rainier in a ticking time bomb.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:57:54 PM by PTM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
Don't no how prudent its ta cross da street deez daze, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Don't no how prudent its ta cross da street deez daze, hey?

I actually use a variation off of this when people ask how I can be a firefighter.    A few short years ago, we in the upper midwest went through a polar vortex, the worst winter I have seen in my lifetime.    Earlier that year, we had a 100 year flood where I live where we were rescuing people out of neighborhoods cut off by floods, nursing homes, apartment complexes.     Using jet skis to rescue people who thought that since they had a kayak, a 100 year flood would be a great time to kayak down the river for fun.   All of which pale in comparison to the absolute nightmare that is taking place in the Houston area.  Everything pales in comparison.
    But to 4evers' point, bad stuff can find you anywhere.   

Long term, the flooding through all of the petrochemical plants down there could end up being an environmental disaster.    Worse than the Exxon Valdez, perhaps on a par with the gulf drilling disaster.   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:59:09 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
Hurricane Harvey has really destroyed Houston. I think it is going to take many years for the city to recover .  Thought needs to be given to the wisdom of  relocating in the flood zones.

First, define "destroyed."  90% to 95% is Houston is not flooded.  Many of the roads and highways are low-lying and they are flooded.  That's why the images of are mainly of streets flooded and not neighborhoods.

The problem is the streets create a logistical problem that supply (food, medical supplies) cannot get to neighborhoods until the water recedes.

Is it bad, yes?  Has the fourth largest city been destroyed?  No, not even close.  It will be largely back to normal by Christmas.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »

M'Yeah.... now isn't really the time to be taking a vacation to Houston.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
At least Joel Osteen is getting publicity out of this

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »
First, define "destroyed."  90% to 95% is Houston is not flooded.  Many of the roads and highways are low-lying and they are flooded.  That's why the images of are mainly of streets flooded and not neighborhoods.

The problem is the streets create a logistical problem that supply (food, medical supplies) cannot get to neighborhoods until the water recedes.

Is it bad, yes?  Has the fourth largest city been destroyed?  No, not even close.  It will be largely back to normal by Christmas.

This is interesting .. (really.)   The fake media tells me Houston has been destroyed. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
This is interesting .. (really.)   The fake media tells me Houston has been destroyed.

...a newscaster hears that 80% of all car accidents happen within a 25 mile radius from home; so he moves.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »

Houston metropolitan area has a population of 6.7 million.  Estimates are 450k will apply for emergency assistance. 

That means 90% to 95% will not need assistance.

Buy hey, it you want to say it's destroyed, go for it.

Meanwhile, I'll be watching the Astros playing at home to a sold out stadium in the playoffs in October.  How could that happen if the city was destroyed?

I'll be watching the Texans playing in front of  75,000 at NRG when they open at home against the Jaguars in two weeks.  How can that happen at the city was destroyed?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
Latest update on the news, 30,000 in shelters in Houston, 15 dead.  Population 6.7 million

= destroyed (snowflake definition)

Buy that metric Chicago's destroyed every weekend given it's shooting totals.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 05:42:50 PM »
Thousands displaced,  at least 15 dead (keep in mind thats just confirmed deaths),  millions of dollars in property destroyed but the real problem is that snowflakes use the word destroyed to describe the aftermath. Thanks for setting us straight smuggles  ::)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »
Thousands displaced,  at least 15 dead (keep in mind thats just confirmed deaths),  millions of dollars in property destroyed but the real problem is that snowflakes use the word destroyed to describe the aftermath. Thanks for setting us straight smuggles  ::)

Anytime

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
Heise can just give all those people with oil money stock advice and they can cash in big and donate all of the money they make to the small relief efforts necessary to repair any damage done by the little drizzle that hit the Houston area, duh.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »

Tens of billions when all said and done.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
Houston metropolitan area has a population of 6.7 million.  Estimates are 450k will apply for emergency assistance. 

That means 90% to 95% will not need assistance.

Buy hey, it you want to say it's destroyed, go for it.

Meanwhile, I'll be watching the Astros playing at home to a sold out stadium in the playoffs in October.  How could that happen if the city was destroyed?

I'll be watching the Texans playing in front of  75,000 at NRG when they open at home against the Jaguars in two weeks.  How can that happen at the city was destroyed?

I thought the PIG in the white house was the most callous person in existence. Talking about the crowd size that came to see him in Texas today. Refusing to show an ounce of compassion or empathy for those that have lost everything or have died.

But you are truly a POS - your unbelievable callousness has put even the Pu**y grabbing creep to shame.!!!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
This creep is talking about going to games, as people suffer and lose everything, to prove what a man he is.  I'm guessing that he sets aside an hour of two to dance on some graves while he is there.

To even produce one loser like this is a red mark on this proud University.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 06:15:21 PM »
At least "great crowds" are showing up to shelters

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 06:17:09 PM »
I thought the PIG in the white house was the most callous person in existence. Talking about the crowd size that came to see him in Texas today. Refusing to show an ounce of compassion or empathy for those that have lost everything or have died.

But you are truly a POS - your unbelievable callousness has put even the Pu**y grabbing creep to shame.!!!

Overall his message was fine.  I'm as anti-Trump as the next guy, but these criticisms are just silly.  Just remember the parable of the boy who cried wolf.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 06:47:08 PM »
Only one incident of looting reported so far:

Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 06:47:42 PM »
If there was money to be made, Heise would be playing up the human suffering.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback