[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MUbiz
[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did anyone see the verbal altercation during the game between Gonzalez & Crean?  (Read 7194 times)

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
We sit 4 rows behind the visitors bench.  We saw them jawing, heard Gonzalez use the "F" Bomb twice, but could not hear or tell what else they said back and forth which initiated the yelling.

The little white haired ref, Higgins I believe, warned each coach.  Does anyone else think that ref kind of looks like the ND leprechaun?

Would love to know if anyone knows what that was all about.  One of the coaches yelled "nice coaching" and then we heard the "f" bombs.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

mviale

• All American
klassy New Jersey
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

robmufan

• All American
I know higgins (the kebler elf, usually marqptm enters a picture for comparison) was fed up with some assistant coach on their bench because during a timeout he was jawing with someone and then said "your done", in which he repeated many times.  So there was a lot of altercations from my point of view.

Boognish_MU

• Scholarship Player
Was this what happened with aout 3 minutes left in the second half?  I remember SH was coming up the court and the whistle blew, and Higgins went over to the SH bench and did some talking with the staff.   Then he went over the Crean,... and then SH took the ball out right in front of the MU Bench.... but it didn't seem like there was a foul or anything...

Is that what happened?

KC_Warrior

• Starter
I did notice the post-game handshake between Gonzalez & Crean wasn't exactly friendly. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
EDIT:   This occured during the 16:00 minute media timeout.  Not the 3:00 incident.

I'd be willing to guess I was closer to it than anyone "wink wink".

At first Gonzalez was screaming about a call and then it turned into him being pissed off about the cheerleaders and mascot so close to the team huddle as they were in the lane for the season ticket holder of the game segment.

While the screaming got very intense between both Gonzalez and Higgins I didn't hear any swearing.  The altercation ended with an extremely red faced Higgins yelling "You're done coach" right in Gonzalez's face twice.  Higgins then simply walked away.  I will actually give Higgins props for walking away as Gonzalez's screaming more than warrented a technical.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:37:55 PM by TallTitan34 »

robmufan

• All American
Yeah, but then why was gonzalez and crean yelling at each other, TT you covered what i talked about, but what about with 3 minutes left in the game?

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
I heard someone yelling when Hayward was shooting free throws shortly before Crean and him going at it. I think the yelling was from the Set.Hall bench.

Anyone else hear it?

bma725

• All American
According to someone on the other board, Gonzalez was screaming during the shooters stroke trying to disrupt MU free throw shooters. 

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
That's what we heard too. Our seats are right in the direction Hayward was shooting free throws and we were trying to figure out who was yelling as he was in mid-stroke.

Daniel

• All American
When Lazar was shooting the free throw (both made) someone was yelling and it was coming from the direction of the SH beanch - but I could not tell for sure - I don;t think there were many SH fans there however...

🏀

• All American
That's what we heard too. Our seats are right in the direction Hayward was shooting free throws and we were trying to figure out who was yelling as he was in mid-stroke.

Now that I think about this, at some point while watching the game on TWS, I thought to myself, "Who is the jackass student yelling during FTs?"

NCMUFan

• All American
Wow, an opposing coach yelling when an opposing player is taking a free throw.  Sounds pretty desperate to me.

TVDirector

• All American
I heard that yelling in 101 as well...
couldn't pinpoint the source, but it came from the SH bench area.

saw Higgins get in it with the SH coaches- I was surprised he didin't T them, as he was quite hot.

didn't notice much between Crean and Gonzo, tho.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
Gonzalez was yelling "shooter, shooter" while Lazar was shooting his free throws.  I assume he was reminding his guys to box out the shooter, but he was yelling during the shot.  After he did it on the second free throw Crean started yelling at him and the official.  Kind of bush league on Gonzalez's part.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
WOW.  I heard that and thought the same thing .. who the hell is yelling at an MU player during a FTA?  Heard it pretty loud in Row Y, far from the visitors bench.  Unreal that was a head coach.  Classy.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
You could hear it everywhere.  I was in 441 row 2, upstairs next to the students.  I heard "shoot it" or "shooter" or something.  Couldn't tell that it came from the SHU bench, but I knew it wasn't from the student section. 

Sir Lawrence

• All American
You could hear it everywhere.  I was in 441 row 2, upstairs next to the students.  I heard "shoot it" or "shooter" or something.  Couldn't tell that it came from the SHU bench, but I knew it wasn't from the student section. 

I heard it very clearly.  It was "shooter" and more than once he or one of his assistants yelled "box out."
Ludum habemus.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
Gonzalez was very verbal during most of the game.

aAone point in the second half, his player #31 (Garcia?) was at the free throw line and the coach was yelling at him.  The player actually told the coach to calm down or something like that.  

I do not think I have ever seen that before.

ToddPacker

• Starter
I may be imagining things, but when watching the "highlights" of the first half on the BC scoreboard at halftime, I could have sworn I saw Gonzalez run right behind Fitz as he was shooting a 3 almost like he was trying to startle him.  Now, I enjoyed a few adult beverages before the game, so my memory may not be too solid on this, but I could have sworn I saw that happen.  Anyone else, or am I just losing it?  If that did happen, that is very bush.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
You are not wrong, we saw that, too.

Perhaps Gonzalez got riled up when he saw the student big heads of him.  There were also ones with Gonzalez as "mini me".

I know their team saw them, and laughed. 

Near the end of the game when their second player fouled out, Gonzalez looked to the end of the bench and exclaimed "Sh*t."

MU_4_Life

• Walk-On
The student big heads of Gonzalez were hysterical.  Best big heads yet.  They were making me uncomfortable  :)

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
I would like to see a big head of Jumping Guy

I do not think it would "cause fear and havoc" with the opposing players, but I think it would be funny.

The Man in Gold

• All American
I heard a rumor Rob Jeter was behind the Seton Hall bench and all the cursing was Tom Crean's fault.  ;)
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

chefrad

• Scholarship Player

I think SHU looked well-coached and will beat at least one UConn or Louisville (Petino said as much).
MU look out of it--for the second time in a row.

feedback