[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee Flag  (Read 7187 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Milwaukee Flag
« on: August 17, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Flag_of_Milwaukee%2C_Wisconsin.svg/1280px-Flag_of_Milwaukee%2C_Wisconsin.svg.png

How is the new(er) Milwaukee flag acceptable but the Warriors nickname, the Indians logo, etc. are offensive to Native Americans?  In the top left of the circle, is that not what the Marquette Warriors, Cleveland Indians, etc. were so inappropriate for?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Milwaukee Flag
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Flag_of_Milwaukee%2C_Wisconsin.svg/1280px-Flag_of_Milwaukee%2C_Wisconsin.svg.png

How is the new(er) Milwaukee flag acceptable but the Warriors nickname, the Indians logo, etc. are offensive to Native Americans?  In the top left of the circle, is that not what the Marquette Warriors, Cleveland Indians, etc. were so inappropriate for?

Great point!  You know, I have no idea why this incredibly important topic has never been brought up before. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:14 PM »
That flag was adopted in 1954.

The "newer" flag is The People's Flag of Milwaukee.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:23 PM »

That's no longer Milwaukee's flag.

This is Milwaukee's flag:

as voted by the people:

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/five-finalists-unveiled-for-new-city-flag-b99725121z1-379541551.html/

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »

Probably because no one knew it existed.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
The original adopted in 1954 is still Milwaukee's official flag. The People's Flag was voted for by online vote but never officially adopted.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks.  I thought this was the new flag.  Oops.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 03:24:32 PM »
I didn't know Milwaukee had a flag until they voted on the new one. The new one isn't used for anything but for selling a handful of t-shirts and flags to suckers... so I'm not sure it matters?

Chicago is big on its flag, but I can't honestly think of a single other city flag in the US. Am I unusually flag-ignorant? Or perhaps are city flags a touch... uh... useless?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »

Two wrongs don't make a right. That image is also tame compared to Willie Wampum and Chief Wahoo (though the fact that they  decided to make it red doesn't help their case).

Most importantly,  despite being born and raised in Milwaukee and that flag being made in 1954, this is the first time I have ever seen it. It seems that they wisely let the flag die a quiet death.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
Two wrongs don't make a right. That image is also tame compared to Willie Wampum and Chief Wahoo (though the fact that they  decided to make it red doesn't help their case).

Most importantly,  despite being born and raised in Milwaukee and that flag being made in 1954, this is the first time I have ever seen it. It seems that they wisely let the flag die a quiet death.

I have seen it before - in an article about the worst city flags in the U.S.
Have some patience, FFS.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
I didn't know Milwaukee had a flag until they voted on the new one. The new one isn't used for anything but for selling a handful of t-shirts and flags to suckers... so I'm not sure it matters?

Chicago is big on its flag, but I can't honestly think of a single other city flag in the US. Am I unusually flag-ignorant? Or perhaps are city flags a touch... uh... useless?

City flags are awesome. Not chicagos fault every other city sucks at designing flags.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »
City flags are awesome. Not chicagos fault every other city sucks at designing flags.

Do other cities even have flags? I can't think of one.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
Also, now I'm thinking of classic Eddie Izzard... "Well, do you have a flag? No flag, no country. Those are the rules."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
Woodstock had some flags, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
Is Chicago's flag a big steaming turd

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 09:53:06 PM »
Milwaukee does still use the flag, but it only flies outside a few buildings. If you're watching for it, it's definitely out there. Though the People's Flag is becoming far more visible than the old one. Tons of homes, bars, and businesses fly that flag now.

I think most major cities do have a flag, they just aren't celebrated. Chicago's is certainly the most iconic. But NYC, Boston, Philly, Houston, Atlanta, LA, Indy, Cincy, and other cities all have their own flags.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »
    "as voted by the people"

hey, yeah, we had a vote too >:(
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 12:21:02 AM »
Seattle has a couple flags

Death on call

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »

Most large US cities have flags.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_cities_of_the_United_States

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 03:26:32 PM »
That's the Gold of flags. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »
City flags are like the California Penal league of flags. Come talk to me when you've cracked into AA ball and are a state flag at least.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
Can Chicago still afford to mend or replace its flag when necessary?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 06:35:42 PM »

I am confident that the city has a department with a couple of dozen employees whose only job is to keep an eye on the flag flying over the city. And that they are all relatives of Richie Daley.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 11:20:03 PM »

Chicago's flag is four red stars of David between two blue bars representing the branches of the Chicago River.

My favorite is still Nashville's, which was adopted when it went Metro in 1963. A Native American is holding up a skull.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:50:28 AM by dgies9156 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 07:52:41 AM »
I am confident that the city has a department with a couple of dozen employees whose only job is to keep an eye on the flag flying over the city. And that they are all relatives of Richie Daley.Mike Madigan

FIFY

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 12:15:56 AM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
I don't think anything epitomizes Milwaukee more than this flag debate.  The clinging to tradition, no matter how bad the tradition might be.  The new thing that is way too "out there."  And now a compromise that will please no one.  I mean, I love this town but this stuff just is exhausting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »
Madison's flag is actually pretty neat.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
The entire city has adopted the People's flag. And it looks cool on Brewers gear, so let's just roll with it, eh?

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 12:01:41 AM »

Funny how quickly this sentiment has fallen off.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2019, 10:45:57 PM »

Exactly. Saw a hilarious video online where there’s actually (kinda) a movement to have bankrupt Illinois dissolved from the Union and geographically absorbed by WI, IA, IN, and KY. The good/bad news is that WI gets to claim Chicago and points south. The former mayor gets to keep a recalcitrant enclave known as Rahmania, while Madiganistan retains the Chicago flag.

I knew a couple people at MU who proudly hung that stupid flag in their dorm room. I’m from there, and maybe it’s just self-loathing, but I don’t understand the fascination with that city.

Milwaukee needs to revel in its not-being-Chicago uniqueness, not seek to try and measure up to it.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2019, 10:52:09 PM »
Exactly. Saw a hilarious video online where there’s actually (kinda) a movement to have bankrupt Illinois dissolved from the Union and geographically absorbed by WI, IA, IN, and KY. The good/bad news is that WI gets to claim Chicago and points south. The former mayor gets to keep a recalcitrant enclave known as Rahmania, while Madiganistan retains the Chicago flag.

Hard pass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 07:10:20 AM »

I knew a couple people at MU who proudly hung that stupid flag in their dorm room. I’m from there, and maybe it’s just self-loathing, but I don’t understand the fascination with that city.

Milwaukee needs to revel in its not-being-Chicago uniqueness, not seek to try and measure up to it.

from the City, near burbs with el access or sit on the metra for ages to get to the city? Because that'd help explain it moreso than self loathing.

I will say it's funny how little of the city people, who proudly boast about Chicago, have actually explored.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:16:28 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »
from the City, near burbs with el access or sit on the metra for ages to get to the city? Because that'd help explain it moreso than self loathing.

I will say it's funny how little of the city people, who proudly boast about Chicago, have actually explored.

From the northern burbs, and I will admit that I don’t utilize Metra enough, because even with delays, it beats the Edens/Kennedy slog. I am an interesting case, in that I absolutely love driving cross-country...I have driven to Vegas and even California multiple times. But put me in Chicago traffic and I am pulling my hair out.

In addition to traffic, I think the search for any parking, not just affordable parking, sours me on the city. You’ve spent all that time in bumper-bumper...now you’ve got to work to park your frustrations, and you’re supposed to be enjoying your excursion. I know, I can be a head-case...lol.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
From the northern burbs, and I will admit that I don’t utilize Metra enough, because even with delays, it beats the Edens/Kennedy slog. I am an interesting case, in that I absolutely love driving cross-country...I have driven to Vegas and even California multiple times. But put me in Chicago traffic and I am pulling my hair out.

In addition to traffic, I think the search for any parking, not just affordable parking, sours me on the city. You’ve spent all that time in bumper-bumper...now you’ve got to work to park your frustrations, and you’re supposed to be enjoying your excursion. I know, I can be a head-case...lol.

Now, and I don't mean this in any disrespectful way about suburbia, but given that you're from the northern burbs not the city itself and unless that northern burb is Evanston, there's not much in common with the city and any of the other nothern burbs so it sort of answers why you don't relate the city pride and flag sentiment.
Maigh Eo for Sam

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 12:25:24 PM »

Parking no longer an issue.  SpotHero works incredibly well in the City.  Easy to use the app, easy to find parking, and discounted (still too expensive of course).

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 06:42:06 PM »
Parking no longer an issue.  SpotHero works incredibly well in the City.  Easy to use the app, easy to find parking, and discounted (still too expensive of course).
I will tell you that I had my first ever positive parking experience in Chicago at this years game at DePaul. I had read what a disaster the McCormick Place area was on the day of the game. To my utter surprise, I parked within a block of the arena using SpotHero. I didn’t have an account, but it was the easiest APP ever to download and navigate. I was in the space, on the app, legally parked, and in the arena within 1o minutes....for the ridiculously low price of $4. I checked my credit card statement the next day thinking the App price quote had to be a misprint, and/or that there was some hidden $25 processing fee. I guess the crappy winter weather that night led to a supply/demand scale hugely in my favor...I kind of expected the arena to be empty. Still not sure how the price was so low.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 12:49:12 PM »
For every game at Wrigley, the opponent's City flag is displayed to the right of the marquee and the Chicago flag is displayed to the left.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »

Spot Hero is incredible.  Ive parked in River North garages for entire weekends for $15-20 as a result.

The biggest parking secret, that was tragic when it ended, was the old Children's hospital structure on Lincoln, just south of Fullerton. 

When the hospital moved to Streeterville in 2011/2012, they also gave up operation of the structure.  There was still the ticket booth, but the gates were always up.  I thought it would be a temporary oversight, but for a good 4-5 years, until developers took over the area to redevelop, it was a free structure.  It was also never full cause people didn't realize.  I parked a car there for 2 weeks straight one time and checked on it once.  I was living in Old Town and if people visited me, I would have them park there and just Uber to me or I'd come pick them up.  It was super clutch.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 03:43:45 PM »
When the hospital moved to Streeterville in 2011/2012, they also gave up operation of the structure.  There was still the ticket booth, but the gates were always up.  I thought it would be a temporary oversight, but for a good 4-5 years, until developers took over the area to redevelop, it was a free structure.  It was also never full cause people didn't realize.  I parked a car there for 2 weeks straight one time and checked on it once.  I was living in Old Town and if people visited me, I would have them park there and just Uber to me or I'd come pick them up.  It was super clutch.

Wow. I would have been scared to death to try that. Worried I end up fishing my car out of some hellhole like Lincoln Towing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 05:32:31 PM »
Wow. I would have been scared to death to try that. Worried I end up fishing my car out of some hellhole like Lincoln Towing.

My sister used to live above what was America's Dog (now is some other dog/burger place) right there at Lincoln and Belden.  And she mentioned her roommate had been parking there.  And I went in and there were like 25-30 cars easily parked on various levels.  Some had clearly been there for some period of time.  So that kind of eased my worry.

We could do a towing thread for Chicago people probably, but both times I got towed it was HORRIBLE.

1) Went to see a concert at Congress when I was in college.  Got there in mid afternoon for an evening show. Parked in a big lot off of Milwaukee Ave.  Was an idiot, didn't see signs and didn't know how aggressive people were.  Manager of the Walgreens called for a tow basically the minute I walked off the lot.  Came back to grab something an hour later.  Thought my car was stolen. Called the cops, dispatcher asked where I was, chuckled, said I got towed.  I had to hitch a ride with someone to like 45th and Halstead, past Sox Park.  I dont even remember how bad the charge was, just how stupid it was that it was taken that far.

2) Drove to a friend's place for NYE the year I moved to the city.  Lived in a high rise just north of Wrigley.  Their building had a structure that had guest parking spots.  I go to park, was supposed to be in spot 101.  There was snow falling, it was hard to see numbers, I think I ended up in spot 102.  Left a note on my car with my number in case I was accidentally in the wrong spot.  Go up the next morning, my car is gone, a car is in my spot and my note is crumbled into a pretty blatant human rolled ball on the ground in the snow.  That was a fun New Years Day excursion.  Thankfully the lot was just up Clark.  Im not proud, but that was the only time I've ever purposefully urinated on a car.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
One of the services (can't recall if it is Spot Hero or Park Whiz) will rent you a spot under the El tracks in Lakeview and other hot spots for cheap.  I think I have paid $5 on a weekend night.  The spots are clearly marked with the app's logo.

If I had a brand new car, I might be a bit hesitant of debris falling from the tracks, but I have no issue with parking my 15-year-old SUV there.
Have some patience, FFS.