[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] WAY Too Early Bracketology  (Read 7211 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: [Paint Touches] WAY Too Early Bracketology
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 07:30:29 AM »
Providence could win the league. They return everyone from last year's team that won their last 6 in Big East play. Will likely start 4 seniors while also adding top-50 recruit Makai Ashton-Langford.
Ed Cooley is an excellent  coach and I enjoy our rivalry with The Friars.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 08:45:39 AM »
I think people are sleeping on Xavier as well. Yes they went into a tailspin when Sumner got hurt,  but after they had some games to figure it out (and get Blueitt fully healthy) they made the semi finals of the BEast tourney and the Elite Eight. I think that is who they really are, not the team that was reeling from injuries. Add the best recruiting class in the BEast and a solid grad transfer in Kanter and I think you have solid squad.

To me it is clear that Nova,  X,  Providence,  and Hall are the top 4 in the BEast. Creighton,  Butler,  and Marquette are basically interchangeable at 5-7. St. John's is close to that trio but I don't believe theyre a tourney team yet. Depaul and Georgetown will share the basement.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
Xavier, Butler, and Creighton all have the same dilemma. Who runs the point? Is Paul Scruggs ready to go from day one? Who replaces Lewis/Savage/Woodson? Is Kaleb Joseph the next Maurice Watson or just the guy that flamed out at Syracuse?

4-8 in the league is very interesting, but I'm glad that at least we know who'll have the ball in their hands.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 09:11:14 AM »
I think people are sleeping on Xavier as well. Yes they went into a tailspin when Sumner got hurt,  but after they had some games to figure it out (and get Blueitt fully healthy) they made the semi finals of the BEast tourney and the Elite Eight. I think that is who they really are, not the team that was reeling from injuries. Add the best recruiting class in the BEast and a solid grad transfer in Kanter and I think you have solid squad.

To me it is clear that Nova,  X,  Providence,  and Hall are the top 4 in the BEast. Creighton,  Butler,  and Marquette are basically interchangeable at 5-7. St. John's is close to that trio but I don't believe theyre a tourney team yet. Depaul and Georgetown will share the basement.

+1 on X.

This league is not going to be completely and utterly dominated by Nova as it has been the past couple of years. Should be fun.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »
I am not going to pencil DePaul as the co-basement dwellers, along with GT. I think they will be improved and sneak up and bite some teams.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
I just hope we don't lose a secret scrimmage, 'cuz that could bump us out of the field....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
Xavier, Butler, and Creighton all have the same dilemma. Who runs the point? Is Paul Scruggs ready to go from day one? Who replaces Lewis/Savage/Woodson? Is Kaleb Joseph the next Maurice Watson or just the guy that flamed out at Syracuse?

4-8 in the league is very interesting, but I'm glad that at least we know who'll have the ball in their hands.

After the Sumner injury, Quintin Goodin put up 7.2 ppg, 5.3 apg, and 1.1 spg as a true freshmen. I think with a year's experience and a summer preparing to be the lead guard, I don't think X will have a problem with Goodin at the point.

Butler has Paul Jorgensen, a transfer from George Washington, but he wasn't all that impressive at a lesser school. Could see some trouble there.

Creighton has Kaleb Joseph. Not sure about him. He started for Syracuse as a true freshmen but then saw all of his minutes disappear as a sophomore, getting only 7 minutes a game. If he used the year off to improve on his freshmen year stats he could be solid. I thought Marcus Foster wasn't worth all the hype because he had a down sophomore year (after a stellar freshman year) before transferring to Creighton. I was wrong on that one.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
One thing I am convinced of - the Big East is going to be really really good. 1-8 are legit top 50 teams, with the chance for 4-5 top 20 type teams. Even DePaul should be improved and while Georgetown is definitely a dumpster fire, they still have some very talented big men.

This has the makings of arguelably being the best league in the country from top to bottom - again. I think it's safe to say that the this league is here to stay amongst the country's best every season.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
One thing I am convinced of - the Big East is going to be really really good. 1-8 are legit top 50 teams, with the chance for 4-5 top 20 type teams. Even DePaul should be improved and while Georgetown is definitely a dumpster fire, they still have some very talented big men.

This has the makings of arguelably being the best league in the country from top to bottom - again. I think it's safe to say that the this league is here to stay amongst the country's best every season.

The only definite top 20 team I see is Villanova. I think Xavier is top 20 but could be wrong. I see Providence and Hall as top 30 teams and Creighton/Marquette/Butler as top 45 teams. I don't believe in St. John's yet, they will be improved but I still see them as more of a top 75 team than a top 50. Depaul will be improved but still sub 100.

Top to bottom best conference is Big 12 easily. Two top 10 teams in Kansas and West Virginia. Two other top 25 teams in TCU and Baylor. I could make arguments for OK State, Texas Tech, TU, K State, OU, and IA State to all be top 50 teams this season. That's the entire conference btw. One or two will undoubtably sink to the bottom (my guess is Oklahoma and Iowa State) but they will still be top 100.

SEC is also making a surprising surge. They lack great teams at the top but I think all 14 teams are among the 100 best in D1. I dedicate a paragraph to it in the article.

ACC also has a strong argument. They have two top 10 (probably top 5) in Louisville and Duke. North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, and Notre Dame all belong in or very close to the top 25. Virginia Tech and Wake Forest are both top 40 teams. Florida State and Clemson could both be top 50. Georgia Tech and Syracuse should both be top 75 or at least top 100. They are just weighed down by a bad NC State team and two horrendous teams in Boston College and Pitt.

The Big East will be stronger than all the mid-majors (including the American), the PAC 12, and the Big 10 for sure. I think the SEC has a better bottom this season but the Big East will be better overall. I'd give the B12 the top spot, followed by the ACC, and then the Big East.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »
The only definite top 20 team I see is Villanova. I think Xavier is top 20 but could be wrong. I see Providence and Hall as top 30 teams and Creighton/Marquette/Butler as top 45 teams. I don't believe in St. John's yet, they will be improved but I still see them as more of a top 75 team than a top 50. Depaul will be improved but still sub 100.

Top to bottom best conference is Big 12 easily. Two top 10 teams in Kansas and West Virginia. Two other top 25 teams in TCU and Baylor. I could make arguments for OK State, Texas Tech, TU, K State, OU, and IA State to all be top 50 teams this season. That's the entire conference btw. One or two will undoubtably sink to the bottom (my guess is Oklahoma and Iowa State) but they will still be top 100.

SEC is also making a surprising surge. They lack great teams at the top but I think all 14 teams are among the 100 best in D1. I dedicate a paragraph to it in the article.

ACC also has a strong argument. They have two top 10 (probably top 5) in Louisville and Duke. North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, and Notre Dame all belong in or very close to the top 25. Virginia Tech and Wake Forest are both top 40 teams. Florida State and Clemson could both be top 50. Georgia Tech and Syracuse should both be top 75 or at least top 100. They are just weighed down by a bad NC State team and two horrendous teams in Boston College and Pitt.

The Big East will be stronger than all the mid-majors (including the American), the PAC 12, and the Big 10 for sure. I think the SEC has a better bottom this season but the Big East will be better overall. I'd give the B12 the top spot, followed by the ACC, and then the Big East.
Looking forward to your top 50 players of the Big East analysis again this season.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback