[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Campus 50 years ago.  (Read 13306 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: MU Campus 50 years ago.
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 07:35:33 PM »
Here's another one from what looks like closer to my era. I think I can read 1982 on the Senior Week sign.  BTW, that's the crappy Biltmore to the left.

Very cool!  This would have been my sophomore year.

Awesome pics, Warrior and Glow!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:23 PM »
I just did the google street view of campus. The place is gorgeous, though looking back, campus was just a tad more interesting in my day. By that I mean it was not all university. You also got a taste of life in Milwaukee outside of school, you know visiting all the local establishments especially the ones that provided liquid refreshment.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:21:01 PM by muwarrior69 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 08:12:17 PM »
     What an evolution-thanks guys!  Any pics, by chance of the area between brooks memorial and lalumiere filled with tents camping out for season tickets?  When did that start and end? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »
     What an evolution-thanks guys!  Any pics, by chance of the area between brooks memorial and lalumiere filled with tents camping out for season tickets?  When did that start and end?
Don't know when it started.  Pretty sure last year was '78.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 09:43:54 PM »
Don't know when it started.  Pretty sure last year was '78.

'78 sounds correct.  Wasn't happening in '79 but all the upperclassmen still spoke about it.  Jim Scott, VP of Student Affairs put an end to it.  Let's just say that the students had taken things 'too far' in the administration's mind.  My Frosh year students got the 'Blue' or 'Gold' half season package and then scrounged for the rest.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
'78 sounds correct.  Wasn't happening in '79 but all the upperclassmen still spoke about it.  Jim Scott, VP of Student Affairs put an end to it.  Let's just say that the students had taken things 'too far' in the administration's mind.  My Frosh year students got the 'Blue' or 'Gold' half season package and then scrounged for the rest.

I'm pretty sure anything the students did was "too far" from Dr. Scott's viewpoint.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure anything the students did was "too far" from Dr. Scott's viewpoint.

Jim was a pretty buttoned up guy, no doubt.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
Jim was a pretty buttoned up guy, no doubt.
Dr. Scott and Dr. Quade could only take a dump once a month.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »
Actually, I sat next to Dr. Scott and his wife for several seasons at the BC. Got to know them fairly well, in a basketball setting. Don't let the crewcut fool you, he enjoyed the finer things in life, like most of us. Plus, he was four square in Marquette's corner, without question.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
Actually, I sat next to Dr. Scott and his wife for several seasons at the BC. Got to know them fairly well, in a basketball setting. Don't let the crewcut fool you, he enjoyed the finer things in life, like most of us. Plus, he was four square in Marquette's corner, without question.

I knew him pretty well too as a Brooks Union supervisor.  I always found him to be a solid guy.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »

my freshman year, i'm looking out at that tent city thinking-hmmmm, this doesn't seem like a good start to developing very good study habits. maybe if they had a chem/bio study club tent ::) looking back, probably one of the better decisions i made: not flunking out my freshman 1st semester-check,  still found a ticket to every home game-check AND not ending up living in a van down by the river-check-check!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

MilwaukeeEnvy

• Walk-On
MU Campus 50 years ago.
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2017, 05:38:02 PM »
These pics brought back a lot of memories.  I arrived in the Autumn of 1970.  I had never visited the campus, so when my Dad drove me up from Ohio, I was expecting a Notre Dame type campus.  (All I ever saw was a brochure--the rest was my imagination).
As we drove west on Wisconsin Ave. from downtown, we were wondering "where's Marquette?".  Then we passed Marquette Hall.  Hmmm, this must be it.  I was HORRIFIED that MU was a bunch of buildings on a busy urban street.  I was literally in shock.  It took a few days to recover and then I came to love everything MU for the rest of my life!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »
Dude, where ya bin at da past 4.5 years, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
Was that the reddish building on the corner (see picture below) or was it further down towards Brook? The tan looking building on Wisconsin, was that where the faculty offices were? I can't remember.

Ah, look very closely, on the left edge, yes, there it is, can't believe my eyes, the VOGUE Cocktail Bar....you made my day, thanks.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
Ah, look very closely, on the left edge, yes, there it is, can't believe my eyes, the VOGUE Cocktail Bar....you made my day, thanks.

Here is a better view.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2017, 09:19:14 AM »
Here is a better view.

And all this time I thought vogue65 got his name from this....

Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
I'd give University Archives a call.

http://www.marquette.edu/library/archives/

Thanks for the suggestion. A very nice young lady in archives is helping me transfer some 120 images of campus, classmates, the Milwaukee lake front and the tip off parade to the MU archives. When I was in the MU Chorus we also recorded two LPs and those will be archived as well. She was pretty excited because everything they get is usually sports or admin related. She said they have little information of the other MU student organizations so this is the kind of thing they really appreciates getting. So a thumbs up, Chick.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. A very nice young lady in archives is helping me transfer some 120 images of campus, classmates, the Milwaukee lake front and the tip off parade to the MU archives. When I was in the MU Chorus we also recorded two LPs and those will be archived as well. She was pretty excited because everything they get is usually sports or admin related. She said they have little information of the other MU student organizations so this is the kind of thing they really appreciates getting. So a thumbs up, Chick.

I am glad to hear that they were excited to get it.  :)
Have some patience, FFS.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »
Here is a better view.

Thank you, great shot.  It was the real deal, you can get some of the flavor from the glass block wall.  Before A&W we had the original Real Chili, they were directly across West. Wisconsin from the library.  I was a bartender at the Vogue 1966, my year before the Marines, but that's another story.

Any photos of Real Chili?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:51 PM »
Any y'all old farts 'member da Stratford Arms Hotel on campus, later known as da Jesuit Residence on 14th and Wis., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »
Anyone else here down wit Dal's, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »
How 'bout da Blue Deli, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Any y'all old farts 'member da Stratford Arms Hotel on campus, later known as da Jesuit Residence on 14th and Wis., hey?

It was actually a dorm in between.  Chick jr's roommate's mom lived there in the 70's.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
Ya for sure she wasn't a Jesuit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »
I was HORRIFIED that MU was a bunch of buildings on a busy urban street.  I was literally in shock.

Grunge was really popular in the 1970s.

We did not expect much and we were not disappointed.