[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Campus 50 years ago.  (Read 13289 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: MU Campus 50 years ago.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 08:56:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing 69. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 03:57:34 AM »
The photos in here look more like what Marquette did when I was there (1974 to 1978) than the campus today.

We didn't have cars parked on Wisconsin Avenue and. by and large, many of the apartments were down. Though it was nice in one shot to see the old KofC building the was once at 15th and Wisconsin. Also, was looking for the old Journalism mansion at 12th and Kilbourn which I think was in one shot but you really could not tell. That building was were the J School was in 1974 and 1975, before it moved into Johnston Hall.

We were a very gritty campus back then, back when grit was in vogue.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 04:53:59 AM »
Lots of Falcon's and Bugs iin those pics.  Also noticed Real Chili, which appeared to be on Wisconsin too.

Neat pic of the Vasity and the K of C, which was torn down my soph year.

The view was even better from 10th floor.   ;)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 07:05:14 AM »
The photos in here look more like what Marquette did when I was there (1974 to 1978) than the campus today.

We didn't have cars parked on Wisconsin Avenue and. by and large, many of the apartments were down. Though it was nice in one shot to see the old KofC building the was once at 15th and Wisconsin. Also, was looking for the old Journalism mansion at 12th and Kilbourn which I think was in one shot but you really could not tell. That building was were the J School was in 1974 and 1975, before it moved into Johnston Hall.

We were a very gritty campus back then, back when grit was in vogue.

There was actually a petition to save the K of C building when I was at MU. Some were proposing moving it across from Schroeder on 13th Street. It was a classic looking building.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »
Chili was on Wisconsin Ave, then moved to approximately 15th and Wells near Lanche before settling in its current location sometime in the mid 70s.

By the late 70s when I showed up, I believe there were only 5 privately owned buildings within the core campus area (11th-16th, Clybourn-Wells).  The Plankinton mansion came down in '80 I think in a very controversial 'midnight' demolition.  It's unclear if it could have been properly restored which might have been the correct move but not really in keeping with the urban renewal times.  MU was about to purchase or maybe already had Abbottsford, today a very nice Frosh dorm. Next came the Old Line Life building (707 today), an extremely well constructed office building originally built as a bank near the beginning of the 20th century.  MU bought that around 1997.  Then there's the Grebe's bakery building on 12th that went away in the early '80s.  Lastly, was the horrible 'tenement' Biltmore apartment building that sat squarely on Wisconsin Ave. in front of Brooks Union, the site of today's Raynor library.  The owners held out a very long time on that horrible eyesore.

Kids today have no clue how beautiful and unique Marquette truly is as an urban campus.  Kudos to warrior69 for giving them a glimpse of the old days.   

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
Is the 707 building even used for anything? The only thing I've seen come out of that building are bats.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »
Chili was on Wisconsin Ave, then moved to approximately 15th and Wells near Lanche before settling in its current location sometime in the mid 70s.

By the late 70s when I showed up, I believe there were only 5 privately owned buildings within the core campus area (11th-16th, Clybourn-Wells).  The Plankinton mansion came down in '80 I think in a very controversial 'midnight' demolition.  It's unclear if it could have been properly restored which might have been the correct move but not really in keeping with the urban renewal times.  MU was about to purchase or maybe already had Abbottsford, today a very nice Frosh dorm. Next came the Old Line Life building (707 today), an extremely well constructed office building originally built as a bank near the beginning of the 20th century.  MU bought that around 1997.  Then there's the Grebe's bakery building on 12th that went away in the early '80s. Lastly, was the horrible 'tenement' Biltmore apartment building that sat squarely on Wisconsin Ave. in front of Brooks Union, the site of today's Raynor library. The owners held out a very long time on that horrible eyesore.

Kids today have no clue how beautiful and unique Marquette truly is as an urban campus.  Kudos to warrior69 for giving them a glimpse of the old days.

Was that the reddish building on the corner (see picture below) or was it further down towards Brook? The tan looking building on Wisconsin, was that where the faculty offices were? I can't remember.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 08:27:09 AM »
Was that the reddish building on the corner (see picture below) or was it further down towards Brook? The tan looking building on Wisconsin, was that where the faculty offices were? I can't remember.

It's the tan building past the red building.
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
It's the tan building past the red building.

That was the Biltmore?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

By the late 70s when I showed up, I believe there were only 5 privately owned buildings within the core campus area (11th-16th, Clybourn-Wells).  The Plankinton mansion came down in '80 I think in a very controversial 'midnight' demolition.  It's unclear if it could have been properly restored which might have been the correct move but not really in keeping with the urban renewal times.  MU was about to purchase or maybe already had Abbottsford, today a very nice Frosh dorm. Next came the Old Line Life building (707 today), an extremely well constructed office building originally built as a bank near the beginning of the 20th century.  MU bought that around 1997.  Then there's the Grebe's bakery building on 12th that went away in the early '80s.  Lastly, was the horrible 'tenement' Biltmore apartment building that sat squarely on Wisconsin Ave. in front of Brooks Union, the site of today's Raynor library.  The owners held out a very long time on that horrible eyesore.

You're right. See it on the right. Glow, do you know what that building was further back behind the K of C and what was the other building off to the left behind the white tractor trailer?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:21:26 AM by muwarrior69 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
That was the Biltmore?

Pretty sure...it definitely was an apartment building that was there in the early '80's.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »
Is the 707 building even used for anything? The only thing I've seen come out of that building are bats.

Just renovated- http://www.marquette.edu/707-hub/

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
Yes, the tan building is the Biltmore.  By the late 70s those red buildings were gone.  MU had a pretty well established and wide park style walkway past Memorial Library to the west and the Biltmore to the east heading toward Brooks Union and the heart of campus.  For you young pups, that's the exact current site and similar footprint under the Raynor bridge.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
Lots of Falcon's and Bugs iin those pics.  Also noticed Real Chili, which appeared to be on Wisconsin too.

Neat pic of the Vasity and the K of C, which was torn down my soph year.

The view was even better from 10th floor.   ;)

....but the lakeside view was the best. ;D

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
Yes, the tan building is the Biltmore.  By the late 70s those red buildings were gone.  MU had a pretty well established and wide park style walkway past Memorial Library to the west and the Biltmore to the east heading toward Brooks Union and the heart of campus.  For you young pups, that's the exact current site and similar footprint under the Raynor bridge.

I visited Campus in '96 while on a business trip and isn't the bridge where 14th street was located? Is the Brooks Union still there?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:44:04 AM by muwarrior69 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
Just renovated- http://www.marquette.edu/707-hub/

I'm very happy about the fact that MU's Master Plan acknowledged the long term viability of 707.  It had been used for general office space since the late 1990s and has now been repurposed as indicated.  I sincerely hope that building is around for many decades.  It's a special place for our family.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »
Is the Brooks Union still there?

Long, long gone warrior.

You need to get on a plane brother!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
Here's a pic guys. Note that 14th is still open so this is prior to 1970 ish.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:47:10 AM by jsglow »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 09:50:17 AM »
Here's another one from what looks like closer to my era. I think I can read 1982 on the Senior Week sign.  BTW, that's the crappy Biltmore to the left.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:52:01 AM by jsglow »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 09:53:31 AM »
Long, long gone warrior.

You need to get on a plane brother!

My son-in-law and I are planning to attend an MU game in Milwaukee when the new arena opens. The 2018-19 season will be my 50th. It's on my bucket list, God willing the bucket is a long way off.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »
My son-in-law and I are planning to attend an MU game in Milwaukee when the new arena opens. The 2018-19 season will be my 50th. It's on my bucket list, God willing the bucket is a long way off.

No time like the present.

FYI, Raynor Library was built on the site of the old Biltmore in 2003 and is connected to Memorial Library via a bridge over that walkway.  The connector is affectionately known at Club Raynor.  You can see it in this pic.  These kids today have no idea.  Am I right?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
Let's put on man on dis job, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »

FYI, Raynor Library was built on the site of the old Biltmore in 2003 and is connected to Memorial Library via a bridge over that walkway.  The connector is affectionately known at Club Raynor.  You can see it in this pic.  These kids today have no idea.  Am I right?

No computers, no cell phones, no tablets, no internet. I dreaded those 20 page term papers typed on my old Olympus, measuring the margin on each page to make sure it was exactly an inch and making sure each footnote was indexed properly. Using my slide rule to do log to anti log conversions. Using graph paper to to do regression analysis. Only engineering students were allowed to use the mainframe. Yeah, no idea at all.

...and yes, I had a Tyrannosaurus Rex as a pet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:54:50 PM by muwarrior69 »

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »
I'm very happy about the fact that MU's Master Plan acknowledged the long term viability of 707.  It had been used for general office space since the late 1990s and has now been repurposed as indicated.  I sincerely hope that building is around for many decades.  It's a special place for our family.

Phonathon used to work in the 707 building until they moved to Zilber in 2011(ish).

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »

I lived in the Biltmore in the mid 1990s when it was grad student housing--had studio and one bedroom apartments.   Half was renovated and half wasnt.  I was in the good part and it was preety comfortable.  It was great to live in the middle of campus with no undergrad dorm rules.