[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wonder what this will be....  (Read 33306 times)

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
Re: wonder what this will be....
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
Wojo has been let go and Crean has been rehired.  #done deal
Buzz, KO and SS will serve as his assistants.  And Larry W is returning as AD.
 ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »
7 year lease?

Our new on-campus arena should be online by then.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »
Warrior stadium #donedeal

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »
The undertone of the speeches was spectacular.  sounds very much like the Bucks put the screws to Marquette.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »
The undertone of the speeches was spectacular.  sounds very much like the Bucks put the screws to Marquette.

You're not kidding. Scholl's line about "how difficult this was" not normally what you hear at a warm-and-fuzzy announcement link this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
So why is it only seven years?  Is that normal?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »

I feel very confident in saying Marquette is exploring every possible home court option for the 2025-2026 season. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 12:06:19 PM »
I suspect that there are renewal options in the lease agreement.  7 years is a long time these days.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »

Not normal. That's about how long it will take MU to raise money and build an on-campus.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »

No, and that was one of the major bones of contention. MU wanted at least a 15 year deal, the Bucks want much shorter leases so they can exploit opportunities as much as possible.

Bucks original offer was a 3 year lease....hardball
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
I can't make out what this thread is saying ..

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/897502069359165440

First it seems like he's saying rent per game is $10k net the revenue from suites .. 20 games = $200k/year.  Not sure where the other numbers come from.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »
Not normal. That's about how long it will take MU to raise money and build an on-campus.

Oh lord, not this mental masturbation again. It ain't happening. MU has so much capital invested in other projects (Wild Commons, new Rec Center, new Business School, Innovation Alley, etc) that an on-campus is about as likely as you winning the megamillions jackpot (mostly because the school would need you to donate all of it to get an on-campus arena)

Edit: Oh and significant tuition hikes are planned for next year just to pay for the planned investment I mentioned....there ain't money laying around for an arena to build and operate.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:12:38 PM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 12:13:34 PM »
No, and that was one of the major bones of contention. MU wanted at least a 15 year deal, the Bucks want much shorter leases so they can exploit opportunities as much as possible.

Bucks original offer was a 3 year lease....hardball

Hardball because Marquette didn't make an initial contribution to the building or just because that's how these guys are?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »

Hardball because Marquette didn't make an initial contribution to the building or just because that's how these guys are?

Yes

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »

They did.  MU and the Bucks are now officially only business partners.  The days of 'friendly Herb' are over.  But the reality is they both need each other and know it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:26 PM »
They did.  MU and the Bucks are now officially only business partners.  The days of 'friendly Herb' are over.  But the reality is they both need each other and know it.

I'm not so sure the Bucks know it. Now that they got their arena financed on the public's back, I'm pretty sure the Bucks don't think they need anyone.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »
Significant tuition hike? Yikes. How many people are going to be able to afford that price for a school that isn't significantly better than the cheaper options out there?

Just offer up to bring the Warriors name back in exchange for donations for an on campus arena and it'll get done real fast, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
Here is an official announcement.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081517aab.html

Edit: The arena contract ends at the same time the Fox TV contract ends, coincidence?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:29:24 PM by muwarrior69 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
I'm not so sure the Bucks know it. Now that they got their arena financed on the public's back, I'm pretty sure the Bucks don't think they need anyone.

I think that's a bridge too far eng.  While MU does not have the sway that UW has statewide, we're an important player in Milwaukee.  Pissing off the University and SE Wisconsin alumni base by being complete a-holes puts a pretty severe crimp in your still fragile ticket base.  And that's dumb business.  Nobody says these guys are dumb.  They're just from New York, not Milwaukee.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 12:34:47 PM »
I can't make out what this thread is saying ..

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/897502069359165440

First it seems like he's saying rent per game is $10k net the revenue from suites .. 20 games = $200k/year.  Not sure where the other numbers come from.

Good digging there topper.  Be interesting to know what the new deal looks like.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
I think that's a bridge too far eng.  While MU does not have the sway that UW has statewide, we're an important player in Milwaukee.  Pissing off the University and SE Wisconsin alumni base by being complete a-holes puts a pretty severe crimp in your still fragile ticket base.  And that's dumb business.  Nobody says these guys are dumb.  They're just from New York, not Milwaukee.

I think you're overestimating Marquette's importance as a player in Milwaukee.  IMO we are an incredible but often times underappreciated contributor.  I do not think the Bucks are concerned about our importance at all.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »
I think you're overestimating Marquette's importance as a player in Milwaukee.  IMO we are an incredible but often times underappreciated contributor.  I do not think the Bucks are concerned about our importance at all.

Agreed. If it were a following of UW's size within the state, that could cause an issue.

They may think an on-campus 10K person arena means a freeing of people to spend their basketball viewing money on the Bucks. Granted, I would assume that marginal increase isn't as much as our annual rent.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »

Well when the Marquette games bring in 14,000-17,000 potential customers to the Bucks arena, they should look at is as each game being a big marketing tool for the Bucks.  If people enjoy their time at a Marquette and want to come back to see the Bucks because of the environment, the Bucks should be happy with Marquette.  Then there's something called the NCAA tournament that Marquette helped the Bucks get.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »

Don't think the first part played in too much. Definitely on the second part.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »

The Bucks don't care about Milwaukee period.....that's a little harsh but while there is a we're New York guys element some of it is simply because they don't really care about Milwaukee all that much.

feedback