[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jim Calhoun Un-retiring?  (Read 4539 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Jim Calhoun Un-retiring?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »
Might have to give some dimes back

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:52:12 PM »
Classic case of a guy who's life is his work and his work is his life. Frankly surprised he hasn't gone under yet. Typically people like that go down within a year of retirement.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »

Classic case of a guy who's life is his work and his work is his life. Frankly surprised he hasn't gone under yet. Typically people like that go down within a year of retirement.

Yep - he apparently can't just enjoy living life.  He has kids, grandkids...yet he can't wait to get back to work. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »
Yep - he apparently can't just enjoy living life.  He has kids, grandkids...yet he can't wait to get back to work. 

Who says he's not enjoying life?  Jeez people he's starting up a D3 program, which at best means it's a half-time job.  Not going back to the highest levels of D1. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure I went to a preschool that was a part of St. Josephs in West Hartford.  So....that makes me an alum, right? 

As an "alum," I'll go on the record and say I support the hiring of Jim Calhoun, even if it is just a 2 year publicity stunt to get the mens basketball program (and men's enrollment in general) up and running.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »

Who says he's not enjoying life?  Jeez people he's starting up a D3 program, which at best means it's a half-time job.  Not going back to the highest levels of D1.

Just an opinion, but if he's been doing whatever in retirement for 4 years and suddenly feels a need to change it and get back to work (D1, D3, whatever - it's still work)...that tells me he hasn't been enjoying retirement as much as he expected.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:15:53 AM by GooooMarquette »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »

You sure?  Heard Quinnipiac will need a travel partner when it joins the Big East in two years.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »

It may not be the rigors of traveling across the country scouting HS kids every weekend, but I don't follow how starting a D3 program is at best a half time job. I would suspect this to be more than a full time job for the first few years. Hell, Bryant and Stratton College added men's basketball at the lowest Juco level and their HC is all over the tv, radio, and public appearances trying to promote the program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
It may not be the rigors of traveling across the country scouting HS kids every weekend, but I don't follow how starting a D3 program is at best a half time job. I would suspect this to be more than a full time job for the first few years. Hell, Bryant and Stratton College added men's basketball at the lowest Juco level and their HC is all over the tv, radio, and public appearances trying to promote the program.

99% of D3 coaching jobs are not full time.  Typically coaches work other jobs, either inside or outside the University.  Over the course of a year, how would Jim Calhoun fill up an average of 40 hours a week? 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
I have no idea how many hours per week JC would dedicate to his new potential job. I don't believe he has another job like other D3 coaches. What I do know is Brian Richert at B and S isn't working less than half time at his profession.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »

Bryant and Stratton didn't hire Jim Calhoun, who is pretty much the most famous person associated with the state of Connecticut since...um...

There will be advertising and media appearances, but he wont have to do much to get fans in the stands.  He might have to do even less to get players.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
I have no idea how many hours per week JC would dedicate to his new potential job. I don't believe he has another job like other D3 coaches. What I do know is Brian Richert at B and S isn't working less than half time at his profession.

Well maybe he will become more efficient with more experience.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »
Right......or with his time, energy, and effort he puts into starting a men's college basketball program from scratch...... he'll have more time for another job.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 11:15:40 PM »
Jim Calhoun has another job. He's the Special Assistant to the Director of Athletics at UConn. He's listed as a staff member under that title on the department's website.

I have no idea what the position entails or pays. But he did refer to it in the article: "Certainly, I want to stay at UConn and continue what I'm doing with [Athletic Director] David Benedict and Susan [Herbst]."

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/calhoun_jim00.html
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 01:49:16 AM »
Very cool.  I hope I can find a job when I'm 75.  After my company abolishes the pension plan and social security disappears it'll be necessary.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 07:07:05 AM »
Does he do commentary for ESPN game?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 07:40:06 AM »
Calhoun joined ESPN as a college basketball analyst in 2014:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/jim-calhoun/
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »
Jim Calhoun has another job. He's the Special Assistant to the Director of Athletics at UConn. He's listed as a staff member under that title on the department's website.

I have no idea what the position entails or pays. But he did refer to it in the article: "Certainly, I want to stay at UConn and continue what I'm doing with [Athletic Director] David Benedict and Susan [Herbst]."

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/calhoun_jim00.html

I would guess the University pays him to fly around, raise money, and be an ambassador for UConn athletics.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »
Calhoun's just keeping the seat warm until Crean is ready to coach again.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »
If the move is good for Jim then I say why not?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
Does he do commentary for ESPN game?

Yes. Quite poorly.

He often has nothing valuable to say. He also talks way too fast. Coupled with that accent he has ... it's not a good combo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback