[Today at 12:08:31 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mayweather mcgregor  (Read 6523 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Mayweather mcgregor
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Who y'all got

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Mayweather mcgregor
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »
Who y'all got

A boxing match between one of the best boxers of all time and a guy who's never been in an amateur or professional boxing match?
Tough call.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
Sting, from the rafters with a black bat, because after everything that has happened so far, why not?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:57:02 AM »
The real winner will be whoever has the PPV rights.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
Mayweather by unanimous decision in a boring fight without a single knockdown.  McGregor doesn't have a shot of connecting against the best defensive fighter of all time.  Mayweather didn't have knock out power left 5 years ago, and certainly doesn't now.  Yawn.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Not to be grouchy but our resident retired boxer already posted a thread about this

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54376.msg933505#msg933505

And mayweather in a land slide. Mcgregor wouldn't even be the best Irish boxer let alone beat the best ever. I do expect he won't be as timid about mayweather constantly throwing elbows the way that other boxers are so that'll at least be something 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:27:40 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
McGregor comes out swinging like a wild boar, can't crack the defense of the best defensive boxer of all time, punches himself out, Mayweather knocks him out with a feather duster in round 5.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »
What's idiotic to me is Mcgregor doesn't even have a legit boxing coach training him he's using an mma coach and primarily working with his striking coach. Which is not boxing.

Meanwhile mayweather is far gone from the hard work dedication sadist who's gym I visited for a sparing session years ago. Instead he's focused on yoga and his strip club
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
Oh, I thought this was a thread about a new prospect named Mayweather McGregor.

Would definitely make the cool names list.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
Who y'all got

I think you mean "what y'all got"

My Money!! I can't believe anyone would pay for this racistly-hyped garbage. But, I didn't believe anyone would pay for a hype-created no talent fighter like Rowsey either.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
McGregor comes out swinging like a wild boar, can't crack the defense of the best defensive boxer of all time, punches himself out, Mayweather knocks him out with a feather duster in round 5.

Pretty much the way I see it going.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »
The 'fight' will last as long as Floyd wants it to.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
The 'fight' will last as long as Floyd wants it to.

So maybe the real question is: What round does Floyd have his plants putting money down that he knocks out Macgregor in?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »
I saw at one of the pressers that Mayweather said he could be McGregor in any ring.  After Mayweather beats McGregor this month, I really, really hope he will agree to an MMA "rematch."  Now, that, I'd like to see.  Unfortunately, I realize there's probably no way in hell that will ever happen.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »
Not to be grouchy but our resident retired boxer already posted a thread about this

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54376.msg933505#msg933505

And mayweather in a land slide. Mcgregor wouldn't even be the best Irish boxer let alone beat the best ever. I do expect he won't be as timid about mayweather constantly throwing elbows the way that other boxers are so that'll at least be something

Just curious, are you somebody a die-hard boxing fan would recognize? I used to follow the sport religiously from the late 80s into the early 2000s. Read every copy of the RING magazine and KO. Used to be really active in boxing forums too. I still post in one too but not regularly.

I stopped following it closely but am starting to watch more, especially the HBO and Showtime cards.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 05:21:10 PM »
Just curious, are you somebody a die-hard boxing fan would recognize? I used to follow the sport religiously from the late 80s into the early 2000s. Read every copy of the RING magazine and KO. Used to be really active in boxing forums too. I still post in one too but not regularly.

I stopped following it closely but am starting to watch more, especially the HBO and Showtime cards.

In the Chicago amateur circuit I'd be fairly recognizable and decently so in Wisconsin's but I never went pro only have been paid as a professional sparring partner.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »

Ive seen a couple people saying this, or something along the lines of Mayweather beating the piss out of him.  And I don't see it.  Not cause McGregor is a skilled fighter, but because of Mayweather's skillset.

Not counting the bizarre ending to the Victor Ortiz fight, Mayweather hasn't knocked a fighter out in 10 years. TEN, going back to the Hatton fight.  Add in McGregor's chin which is used to taking a catch punches from harder hitting fighters with lighter gloves, I think he can likely eat a lot of punches.

This is in no way an indictment of McGregor's boxing skill, but I just dont see it being some easy knockout for Floyd, I honestly don't see him knocking him out at all. Just my thoughts.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »
Ive seen a couple people saying this, or something along the lines of Mayweather beating the piss out of him.  And I don't see it.  Not cause McGregor is a skilled fighter, but because of Mayweather's skillset.

Not counting the bizarre ending to the Victor Ortiz fight, Mayweather hasn't knocked a fighter out in 10 years. TEN, going back to the Hatton fight.  Add in McGregor's chin which is used to taking a catch punches from harder hitting fighters with lighter gloves, I think he can likely eat a lot of punches.

This is in no way an indictment of McGregor's boxing skill, but I just dont see it being some easy knockout for Floyd, I honestly don't see him knocking him out at all. Just my thoughts.

You may be right, but I think you may also be discounting volume and accuracy. Simply put, I don't think McGregor has ever been hit as often or as cleanly as he's going to be hit by Mayweather.
As you note, Floyd's never been a KO artist, but over his career he's thrown an average 39 punches per round and landed a remarkable 46 percent of those punches. And that's against top boxers, not MMA guys masquerading as boxers. Five rounds in, Floyd is going to have landed 100+ punches, I think. For  comparison's sake, in the Diaz fight, McGregor absorbed a total of 74 head/body strikes. (Also, Diaz landed at 50 percent accuracy ... not a good sign when going against someone as accurate as Mayweather).

Floyd is unlikely to KO McGregor with one big shot or combination, but the cumulative effect of all the clean shots McGregor is going to take might do him in.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:08:01 PM by Pakuni »

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
Honest question, what are the chances McGregor gets trapped in the corner and instinct/muscle memory takes over and he tackles Floyd mma style.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 07:15:47 AM »

There was a study done with the force behind bare hands, mma gloves and boxing gloves and boxing gloves had more force begins them. Not saying the pain is the same since obviously there's more padding but it is a big misconception if you think mma guys hit harder.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »
There was a study done with the force behind bare hands, mma gloves and boxing gloves and boxing gloves had more force begins them. Not saying the pain is the same since obviously there's more padding but it is a big misconception if you think mma guys hit harder.

I didn't think they hit harder, I just thought the blows/contact would hurt more, affect a fighter more.  You could drill me with double the force using one of those American Gladiator jousting sticks, but I think less force with a 2x4 would hurt/daze me more.  I was watching a sport science talking about how the force, while greater, is spread out over more area due to the structure of a glove.

Just a thought, not claiming to be an expert. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »

I guess the way I see it is that McGregor's one shot is to land some brutal lucky punch and the odds of him doing so will go do rapidly as the fight wears on. So, if that's his one road to victory, he's got to come out swinging early, often, and hard. If he gets exhausted then even a non-KO artist could perhaps knock him out.

Also, a fascinating read:

http://deadspin.com/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-is-the-second-bigge-1797272009

"Sparring: McGregor walks directly into punches. He keeps his hands too low, and is forced to constantly make adjustments to block and throw punches. These adjustments are done too slowly, with no sense of anticipation as to either where the incoming punch will land or where his own punch should go. In coming forward, he often presents himself as a square target, and he doesn’t move his head. He loops slow punches from the outside, leaving himself entirely vulnerable to counter shots. His footwork is poor, alternating between a too wide stance that simultaneously makes him unable to punch and susceptible to being knocked off balance, and an overcompensating tendency to place his feet nearly together, a mistake that will produce the same sorry results as the overly wide stance. By pro boxing standards, he has no power at all. When moving around the ring, he often crosses one foot in front of the other, a recipe for being embarrassed by any boxer better than a novice pro with a losing record.

Grade: F"

[emphasis added]

If that's the actual book on McGreggor in the ring against Floyd, then, when exhausted, at some point he's going to throw a wide, slow, hook, that Floyd will see coming a mile away, avoid, and blow McGreggor's face off with a counter punch.

Wham. Bam. Hope I can find a free stream because this isn't worth the money. Thank you maam.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
Honest question, what are the chances McGregor gets trapped in the corner and instinct/muscle memory takes over and he tackles Floyd mma style.

I had thought there was a good chance that would happen, but so did the promoters because they added hefty DQ penalties for McGregor to the fight contract.  If you let him keep the loser's purse through a DQ, I think he would have done something to get DQ'ed, because I don't think he every fights again after this - boxing, MMA or otherwise - and it would give him a broader celebrity. As it stands though, he can't afford to lose the cash.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 08:36:19 AM »
I guess the way I see it is that McGregor's one shot is to land some brutal lucky punch and the odds of him doing so will go do rapidly as the fight wears on. So, if that's his one road to victory, he's got to come out swinging early, often, and hard. If he gets exhausted then even a non-KO artist could perhaps knock him out.

Also, a fascinating read:

http://deadspin.com/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-is-the-second-bigge-1797272009

"Sparring: McGregor walks directly into punches. He keeps his hands too low, and is forced to constantly make adjustments to block and throw punches. These adjustments are done too slowly, with no sense of anticipation as to either where the incoming punch will land or where his own punch should go. In coming forward, he often presents himself as a square target, and he doesn’t move his head. He loops slow punches from the outside, leaving himself entirely vulnerable to counter shots. His footwork is poor, alternating between a too wide stance that simultaneously makes him unable to punch and susceptible to being knocked off balance, and an overcompensating tendency to place his feet nearly together, a mistake that will produce the same sorry results as the overly wide stance. By pro boxing standards, he has no power at all. When moving around the ring, he often crosses one foot in front of the other, a recipe for being embarrassed by any boxer better than a novice pro with a losing record.

Grade: F"

[emphasis added]

If that's the actual book on McGreggor in the ring against Floyd, then, when exhausted, at some point he's going to throw a wide, slow, hook, that Floyd will see coming a mile away, avoid, and blow McGreggor's face off with a counter punch.

Wham. Bam. Hope I can find a free stream because this isn't worth the money. Thank you maam.

This is a fascinating read. I always said MMA guys naturally spread their legs too far apart for boxing. It makes it easier to defend and counter with kicks but in a boxing match it puts you hugely off balance. I don't know anything about McGregors power but I'm not surprised to read that he doesn't have much power compared to pro boxers. People think because striking is incorporated into MMA that it must be the same power behind those punches but fail to realize the hours that are spent doing grappling, kickboxing, elbows, jujitsu/wrestling are all spent throwing punches by boxers which makes speed accuracy and power all exponentially better.

Sure he has a shot, he's going against an old defensive fighter. If he was fighting Canelo or GGG this would be over in a heartbeat.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 11:08:12 PM »
Apparently, MMA fans are more likely to gamble than traditional boxing fans....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-11/gamblers-apparently-think-mcgregor-could-really-beat-mayweather

feedback