[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Wilson 2 Way Contract Official  (Read 2890 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Jamil Wilson 2 Way Contract Official
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »
Although not new news, the Clippers officially announced the  two way contract deal with Jamil. today   Jamil did very well in summer league and his future with the Clippers  is bright. Good to see Doc giving an MU guy a well deserved opportunity.

http://www.nba.com/clippers/press-release-clippers-sign-jamil-wilson-170803

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/2017/8/3/16091282/los-angeles-clippers-officially-sign-jamil-wilson-to-two-way-deal-gleague
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Jamil Wilson 2 Way Contract Official
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 10:15:28 PM »
Although not new news, the Clippers officially announced the  two way contract deal with Jamil. today   Jamil did very well in summer league and his future with the Clippers  is bright. Good to see Doc giving an MU guy a well deserved opportunity.

http://www.nba.com/clippers/press-release-clippers-sign-jamil-wilson-170803

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/2017/8/3/16091282/los-angeles-clippers-officially-sign-jamil-wilson-to-two-way-deal-gleague

Define "bright."  You like to throw words like that around quite often.  If by "bright" you mean a guy who might be on the active roster for a few games this year and then is probably no longer on their roster beyond that, we will agree.  Otherwise, I'm not sure we'd define "bright" very similarly.

Same with your phrases of "future of the program" for...well, every single kid who Marquette has ever recruited under Wojo, just so you can claim Wojo ruined it when that doesn't turn out to be the case.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
Define "bright."  You like to throw words like that around quite often.  If by "bright" you mean a guy who might be on the active roster for a few games this year and then is probably no longer on their roster beyond that, we will agree.  Otherwise, I'm not sure we'd define "bright" very similarly.

Same with your phrases of "future of the program" for...well, every single kid who Marquette has ever recruited under Wojo, just so you can claim Wojo ruined it when that doesn't turn out to be the case.
The NBA is moving toward players with Jamils skill set, which is the 3 and D player. Given that he is doing well at those qualities  I would characterize that as a bright future for him.

The players Wojo has recruited are the future of the program. Without a steady pipeline of quality players it is difficult to have a good program. It is up to the coaching staff to mold those players into a cohesive team. All the players The coaching staff has recruited to date have brought valuable skills to the program and thus warrant a fair degree of enthusiasm and optimism toward their progress.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »
Jamil is a great guy. Let's simply celebrate his success.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:36:46 AM »
Given Jamil signing with the Clips and Vander with the Lakers, I just want to make sure everybody really knows what a "two-way contract" means. As the linked article states:

Per NBA rules, teams are permitted to have two players signed to two-way contracts on their roster at any given time, in addition to their 15-man regular season roster. A two-way player for the Clippers will provide services to the team’s G League affiliate – the Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario – but can spend up to 45 days with L.A., not including any time prior to the start of G-League training camp and after the G-League season concludes.

In other words, Jamil and Vander belong to the Clippers and Lakers; unlike other G-League players, they can just up and sign a 10-day contract with teams that have needs. They start out as the 16th and 17th players on an NBA roster (and in fact aren't really on a "roster" at all).

If the Clips and Lakers need a player of their skill sets, they are more likely to get the call because their teams have invested in them. But if, say, the Jazz needs a player of their skill sets, they are SOL because they are not available on the open market.

In essence, Jamil and Vander are trading some flexibility for a little guaranteed money. I hope it works out well for both!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
Vander doesn't have a two way contract.  He has a G League contract with a guaranty at the level of a two way contract.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »
Vander doesn't have a two way contract.  He has a G League contract with a guaranty at the level of a two way contract.
Actually, Vander's deal is with the Lakers for $50,000 which (other than for those eligible for a 2 way contract ) is the most an NBA team can pay for a guy who could also play for its G league team.  Just a quirk, but its not a G league deal per se.  Just semantics I guess as he could get cut and then play for the G team.  Mostly, the contract gets Vander an invite to the LA training camp.  Hope he can make it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
Thanks for those distinctions on Vander's deal.

Here I was trying to provide a little info ... and I messed up some. Management regrets any inconvenience we might have caused.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »

Here I was trying to provide a little info ... and I messed up some. Management regrets any inconvenience we might have caused.

You should have gone to journalism school.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »

No problem, just clarifying what Sultan posted.  In the end, whatever the details,  its up to Vander (and Jamil) to make the most of the opportunity while getting some guaranteed money.

feedback