[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA hypocrites sticking it to "student-athlete" again?  (Read 9905 times)

MU82

• All American
NCAA hypocrites sticking it to "student-athlete" again?
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
Here's a kid who signed with Ohio State to play hoops, was given his release after Matta got canned and transferred to NC State.

He didn't take part in a single team function.

But because he started to attend summer school at Ohio State, the NCAA seems ready to make him sit out an entire year.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article164698767.html

Because yeah, the "student-athlete" you want to punish is the one trying to get a jump start on the student part.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: NCAA hypocrites sticking it to "student-athlete" again?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:35:50 PM »
Don't agree to things you don't want to obey.

What BB agreed to was that if he did what he did, he'd need to sit out a year in residence.

He agreed to rules, now is upset about it.

Learn.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 07:52:30 PM »

What BB agreed to was that if he did what he did, he'd need to sit out a year in residence.

Learn.

Wow!!!

I'm guessing that every time you have gone even 1 MPH over the limit, you have turned yourself in.

Oops. That would be like expecting you to play by the rules. I think you only feel that way about others.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »
Agree with 82 on this one - when the letter of the law and the spirit of the law are in conflict, I choose the spirit.

His subject line is a bit hysterical, though, and my guess is this gets reviewed by the NCAA.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:57:09 PM by Joeys Tap »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
Not surprising they are taking that angle. The kid agreed to play for a given school, and as we all know, the reality is kids commit to coaches, not schools. The coach being fired is a material change to the agreement the kid made. He should be given free reign to transfer wherever he wants.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »
How does this compare to the Brett Roseboro situation? Didn't he attend MU briefly before transferring in the summer and was immediately eligible for St. Bonaventure?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
Wow!!!

I'm guessing that every time you have gone even 1 MPH over the limit, you have turned yourself in.

Oops. That would be like expecting you to play by the rules. I think you only feel that way about others.

Actually, JB wouldn't have to turn himself in but merely accept the decision of the court if it went against him after he was ticketed for going 1mph over. That's very different.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:03:27 PM by Joeys Tap »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
How does this compare to the Brett Roseboro situation? Didn't he attend MU briefly before transferring in the summer and was immediately eligible for St. Bonaventure?

Roseboro never enrolled in classes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/ucf-rules-kickeryoutube-sensation-is-ineligible-because-the-ncaa-is-a-communist-organization/

Any other student on campus can earn money by working in a capacity related or unrelated to their field of study. Athletes? Nope.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 08:55:54 PM »

Learn.

This is the worst line of thinking ever. So many people use that as an excuse for bad rules/laws

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »
http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/ucf-rules-kickeryoutube-sensation-is-ineligible-because-the-ncaa-is-a-communist-organization/

Any other student on campus can earn money by working in a capacity related or unrelated to their field of study . Athletes? Nope.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but if sam hauser is studying molecular biophysics, i believe he can go to work for a molecular biophysics company and earn money and not be spanked.  not basketball as that isn't his field of study and is in violation
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 10:10:21 PM »

Learn.

Stunned that you would stick up for the institutions instead of the human being.

And I agree with what Lenny said about the spirit of the rule, though naturally I don't agree about my title being "hysterical."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »

Any other student on campus can earn money by working in a capacity related or unrelated to their field of study. Athletes? Nope.

This one bothers me.  There is not logical reason to explain why he can't earn money in this way. 

The Ohio State/Thad Matta issue sucks, but I can live with it. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 04:28:24 AM »
I love MU82 new idgaf attitude. But in all actuality, I want to hear one good reason why this kid should be punished for wanting to switch schools.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 06:48:37 AM »
Roseboro never enrolled in classes.

Thanks. I thought he had but couldn't remember for sure.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 06:53:23 AM »
Did his summer school credits transfer?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 07:03:09 AM »
Thanks. I thought he had but couldn't remember for sure.

I'm all for him calling this out, because I think it is a bad rule, and bad rules don't change without things like this happening.  But we should drop the "he is being punished" narrative, because he isn't.  He's merely having the well-defined and established rules (not necessarily good rules) apply to him.

Now the other piece to this is, who pays for his summer classes at OSU?  Since he hasn't played there at all, I don't see why he should be due any scholarship at all from OSU.  And I definitely don't think NC State should have to pick that tab up.

I'm ok if the student pays for those summer courses, transfers and doesn't have to sit the year out.  I do agree that I would like to see the rule change that if a coach leaves, players are given some leeway.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
I love MU82 new idgaf attitude. But in all actuality, I want to hear one good reason why this kid should be punished for wanting to switch schools.

He shouldn't be punished for wanting to switch schools.

Look, I am all for transfers without waiting a year in residence.  But this is actually an intra-year transfer.  He started the academic year at Ohio State.  He should finish it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 07:41:21 AM »

He's not being punished Chi.  We all can think the rule needs some work or possibly some loophole created but it is the rule.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 08:05:49 AM »
This is a collective eh for me. Yes, the NCAA sucks as do it's rules, but this is one of those oddities where someone wanted to get a jump start on the season and the coach just happened to leave at an odd time. This is the same scenario as would happen to a football player who graduates high school in December and enrolls in college in the spring to get a jump start on their freshman year football season but the coach gets fired after spring practice (I'm looking at you Hugh Freeze).

It ain't fair, but it's not like this was a hidden rule.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »
Do you a anti-rule whiners believe schools should be able to cancel financial aid to an SA on full scholarship when a coach leaves?

No?

So you want a kid to be able to commit to a coach... but a school to commit to the kid?

I like how it is today -- and what kids AGREE TO: they are committing to the school in exchange for financial aid.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 08:32:59 AM »
Do you a anti-rule whiners believe schools should be able to cancel financial aid to an SA on full scholarship when a coach leaves?

No?

So you want a kid to be able to commit to a coach... but a school to commit to the kid?

I like how it is today -- and what kids AGREE TO: they are committing to the school in exchange for financial aid.

In an effort to tie this thread to another recent thread, I think that all student-athletes should drink a couple shots right before signing the NLI -- just enough to get to 0.08%.  It's always good to keep your options open.   ;)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »
In an effort to tie this thread to another recent thread, I think that all student-athletes should drink a couple shots right before signing the NLI -- just enough to get to 0.08%.  It's always good to keep your options open.   ;)

Well played!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »

No?

I'm nonplussed by this particular students plight, but your stance is incorrect generally because the rules are stacked against the SAs. You make it sound like the school is this benevolent entity bestowing great value on an SA.....at the end of the day they are the ones exploiting those SAs for the schools financial gain so I have zero sympathy for the schools if a SA transfers
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »

No?

Right... Because a school has never dropped a scholarship for someone. Ever. Nope.

feedback