[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by PointWarrior
[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2016-17 BIG EAST All-Academic Team - 5 Mens BBall  (Read 5766 times)

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
2016-17 BIG EAST All-Academic Team - 5 Mens BBall
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »
Aug. 2, 2017
BIG EAST Release | Marquette honorees (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader

NEW YORK – Nearly 200 Marquette University student-athletes were named to the 2016-17 BIG EAST All-Academic Team, the BIG EAST Conference announced Wednesday morning.

The women’s soccer team’s 26 representatives led the way for the 192 Golden Eagles to earn the honor, while the men’s tennis team had the highest percentage of its roster with 10 of its 11 student-athletes listed.

The men’s cross country team, which had 84 percent (16 of 19) of its roster earn recognition, led all Marquette squads with a cumulative spring GPA of 3.62, while the women’s cross country team posted an MU-high fall GPA of 3.44.

In total, Marquette had 18 student-athletes post perfect 4.0 grade-point averages during the fall semester and 20 do the same in the spring, led by an MU-high eight women’s soccer players.

Nominations for the All-Academic Team are submitted by each of the BIG EAST’s 10 member and nine affiliate institutions. To be eligible for the honor, a nominee must have competed in a BIG EAST-sponsored sport, attained a minimum grade-point average of 3.00 for the preceding academic year, and completed a minimum of two consecutive semesters or three consecutive quarters of academic work, with a total of 18 semester or 27 quarter credits, not including remedial courses.

The nominations are reviewed and approved by the BIG EAST Academic Affairs Committee. There are 2,501 honorees for the 2016-17 academic year, the most in the four years since conference realignment.

:)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: 2016-17 BIG EAST All-Academic Team - 5 Mens BBall
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
I am sure they are all pre Med majors.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »

Why do that? Why make fun of or belittle the accomplishment of a bunch of our student athletes?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »

Dr. muwarrior69, not everyone can be full-time premed student, full-time athlete, and academic all-star like you. 8-)

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:02:58 AM »
It was always interesting to read the majors of players when Bart Miller was on the team.

Have we had an engineering major on the team since?   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:14:27 AM »

As long as they don't turn into grumpy old men 48 years down the road.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
It was always interesting to read the majors of players when Bart Miller was on the team.

John Mueller majored in computer engineering, IIRC.

Go off slightly on a tangent, one of my all time favorite anecdotes was when my neighbors (UW-Extension alums/Badger fans) were convinced Sam Dekker would not turn pro after his JR year because he was going to come back to earn his degree.  Curious as to what that degree would be, I looked up his official profile page which listed his major as "undecided."  I said, "Well, unless he's coming back to earn a degree in Undecided Studies, he's going pro."

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »

Go off slightly on a tangent, one of my all time favorite anecdotes was when my neighbors (UW-Extension alums/Badger fans) were convinced Sam Dekker would not turn pro after his JR year because he was going to come back to earn his degree.  Curious as to what that degree would be, I looked up his official profile page which listed his major as "undecided."  I said, "Well, unless he's coming back to earn a degree in Undecided Studies, he's going pro."

Since colleges won't let players list Basketball Studies as a major, I do have to respect Dekker's honesty in listing his field of study.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »

MU had a similar situation where they didn't update player majors in their online bios and several upperclassmen were still listed as undecided. I believe it was the Domers' chant of "What's your major?" that prompted the athletic office to get on that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »

Pre-med defines just about anyone with a near-science degree. When I worked in a hospital, every student said "I'm Pre-Med". The number that actually went on to become "Med" was about 2%. The world is full of pre-Med majors. It's a completely meaningless and throwaway phrase. When someone says they are Pre-Med, I actually lose respect for them rather than gain it.

(EDIT: And I noted the sarcasm, I just hate it when I hear that term ;D )
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »
Pre-med defines just about anyone with a near-science degree. When I worked in a hospital, every student said "I'm Pre-Med". The number that actually went on to become "Med" was about 2%. The world is full of pre-Med majors. It's a completely meaningless and throwaway phrase. When someone says they are Pre-Med, I actually lose respect for them rather than gain it.

Pre-med, pre-law, what's the difference?
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »
Pre-med, pre-law, what's the difference?

I'm willing to wager absolutely nothing ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 03:06:51 PM »

Pretty true these days.  Most law schools really don't care what classes you took undergrad - they're mostly interested in diverse backgrounds, good grades and good LSATs.  Med schools require science and math prerequisites, but you could still turn that into plenty of majors.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »

I see what you did there.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
My son dual majored in religious studies (more like a philosophy major) and linguistics while completing his pre-med requirements.

He said he's be taking nothing but medical/science related things once he got into med school and wanted to do something that interested him as an undergrad. He also played lead guitar in one of the top local bands as an undergrad.

In his med school interviews he was told more times than not that it was so nice to see someone who wasn't a chem or bio major  and who could carry on an intelligent conversation in something other than the sciences. He had the grades and a great MCAT but the diverse majors and his playing in a band while doing all the other things really worked in his favor and got him into a top 10 Med school.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
My son dual majored in religious studies (more like a philosophy major) and linguistics while completing his pre-med requirements.

He said he's be taking nothing but medical/science related things once he got into med school and wanted to do something that interested him as an undergrad. He also played lead guitar in one of the top local bands as an undergrad.

In his med school interviews he was told more times than not that it was so nice to see someone who wasn't a chem or bio major  and who could carry on an intelligent conversation in something other than the sciences. He had the grades and a great MCAT but the diverse majors and his playing in a band while doing all the other things really worked in his favor and got him into a top 10 Med school.

Man I cannot tell you how many times I have told college kids to do something different than the pack.  Or apply to a grad / professional school where you are going to be more unique.  That's what schools want.  Your son's experience confirms that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »

My next door neighbor's kid played basketball on scholly at a Big Ten school and was an engineering major. Graduated a couple of years ago, and in 4 years.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:39:47 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 02:15:53 PM »

Man I cannot tell you how many times I have told college kids to do something different than the pack.  Or apply to a grad / professional school where you are going to be more unique.  That's what schools want.  Your son's experience confirms that.

That is so true. I remember when he was applying to undergrad in 2003, Yale admission reps said that they could fill their classes five times over with 4.0/ 1580-1600 SAT kids but that would make for a very boring class. They said over and over that they wanted "interesting" kids to make up their incoming class. They also emphasized that they put a great deal of weight on the essays and a personal interview.

In his application, he wrote several VERY "edgy" and different essays, one was a very funny play on his name and the other was about how playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon while simultaneously watching The Wizard of Oz synchronize to  create a whole other viewing experience. In his admission letter the Dean of Admissions hand-wrote a note saying how the entire admissions team loved his essays when they were read and were looking forward to meeting him.

These days you HAVE to do something to stand out from the pack especially when applying to top tier schools.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »

David Diggs was also an engineering major.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »
David Diggs was also an engineering major.

A professor told one of my classes he had Tony Smith in class previously.  I don't know if he graduated with an Engineering degree.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 03:57:08 AM »
Congrats to the students who excel in athletics and academics. Each one of them should have our respect.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 07:08:35 AM »
As long as they don't turn into grumpy old men 48 years down the road.

Whose grumpy? ;D

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 07:15:14 AM »
Tony smith was an engineering major, but then never graduated until recently.  I would assume it is in engineering but do nit know for sure
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 07:18:09 AM »

That may be your experience, but I knew at least 10 Pre-med students at MU and they all were accepted to Medical School. You see MU still had a Medical School my freshman and Sophmore years and they actually had a Pre-med program.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 07:58:20 AM »
Pretty true these days.  Most law schools really don't care what classes you took undergrad - they're mostly interested in diverse backgrounds, good grades and good LSATs.  Med schools require science and math prerequisites, but you could still turn that into plenty of majors.

Actually, I read an article* a couple years ago that was making the case that a lot of schools actively disfavor "prelaw" majors (and criminal justice, by the way).  It is not considered an academically rigorous course of study, so it is looked down upon by law schools.  Good grades are important, as you state, but good grades in an easy major aren't really that helpful.  Also, data shows that it's right at the bottom of the list for performance on the LSAT.  But you're correct:  good grades (in a rigorous program), good LSAT and diversity are all key.

*  See here and here.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback