[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oh Georgetown...  (Read 10640 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Oh Georgetown...
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 07:45:21 AM »

There isn't a President in the world that would expel students for staging a sit-in.  It would be a PR nightmare and only make the situation worse.

I'm sure you're right.  There isn't a university president in the world who would do that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
Yikes.  A sit-in protest in the President's office?  I'd hand them their transcript and a bottle of water on their way out the door and off the campus.  Attending a university is not some right.  Bye.

I see that this all occurred last winter.  Anyone know where this whole contract thing stands today?

That would be an overreaction. Students need to be held accountable but all these students did was trespass and it was at least for noble causes. Universities don't even expel most students found responsible for violent acts like assault and sexual assault.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »
What Scoop thinks of Wojo -- or anyone else for that matter -- until we win our next national championship.

Wow, that's harsh.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »

There isn't a President in the world that would expel students for staging a sit-in.  It would be a PR nightmare and only make the situation worse.

While I agree it would be a terrible idea....that doesn't mean that some university president's wouldn't do it. Some aren't very good at PR and don't listen to their general counsel.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »
While I agree it would be a terrible idea....that doesn't mean that some university president's wouldn't do it. Some aren't very good at PR and don't listen to their general counsel.

I was being hyperbolic. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »
That would be an overreaction. Students need to be held accountable but all these students did was trespass and it was at least for noble causes. Universities don't even expel most students found responsible for violent acts like assault and sexual assault.

I'm not actually disagreeing with you and I too was being over the top to make a point.  But their behavior was unacceptable on any level and appropriate sanctions were in order.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 08:17:28 AM »
Sit ins happen all the time.  It has happened here at the college where I work.  As long as they are peaceful and people aren't screaming, it's really not that big of a deal. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1REZA_enUS728US728&q=sit+in+president%27s+office+college&oq=sit+in+president%27s+office+college&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i71k1l4.37239.37239.0.37524.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0.suCGYC2KP1c

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »
Sit ins happen all the time.  It has happened here at the college where I work.  As long as they are peaceful and people aren't screaming, it's really not that big of a deal. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1REZA_enUS728US728&q=sit+in+president%27s+office+college&oq=sit+in+president%27s+office+college&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i71k1l4.37239.37239.0.37524.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0.suCGYC2KP1c

Of course, the problem occurs when civility is lost or the free exchange of ideas is quashed.  And let's agree that a university campus environment is actually the best place for that.  We don't need to take this too far down the rat hole, I'm sure.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 08:52:43 AM »
What Scoop thinks of Wojo -- or anyone else for that matter -- until we win our next national championship.

Have a Great Day.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »
Of course, the problem occurs when civility is lost or the free exchange of ideas is quashed. 

Yes.  The Boston Tea Party would have been so much more effective had the parties carried on a rational debate about taxation policy in the colonies. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2017, 09:38:59 AM »

Yes.  The Boston Tea Party would have been so much more effective had the parties carried on a rational debate about taxation policy in the colonies.

The Boston Tea Party occurred because free exchange of ideas was quashed.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »
The Boston Tea Party occurred because free exchange of ideas was quashed.

Exactly.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
Yeah, I'm with you on that.  I think it was a bad move to pull out of the tournament, but I really don't think it had anything to do with the shoes.  If Ewing cared that much about not shilling for Nike, he wouldn't have taken the job at one of Nike/Jordan's flagship schools.  He knew at the time that the opportunity was much, much bigger than a shoe allegiance, and I doubt he's lost sight of that in the ensuing months.

My money is on him thinking they'd be humiliated if they played in the tournament -- and somehow not realizing that pulling out would be even more humiliating.

Except it's not more humiliating.

Only a handful of true fanatics are even going to notice the announcement about dropping a pre-conference tournament, made in August, when most people aren't paying attention. The average fan likely didn't even had a clue that Georgetown was playing in this tournament, no less be able to form an opinion about them dropping out. 

However, by November, even casual fans are paying attention. A whole lot of people, not to mention the national media, are going to notice consecutive 30+ point blowouts.

The rest of the league should extent thanks to the Hoyas.  We won't be tagged with an 0-8 record added to our opponents SOS rating based on their performance. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
Except it's not more humiliating.

Only a handful of true fanatics are even going to notice the announcement about dropping a pre-conference tournament, made in August, when most people aren't paying attention. The average fan likely didn't even had a clue that Georgetown was playing in this tournament, no less be able to form an opinion about them dropping out. 

However, by November, even casual fans are paying attention. A whole lot of people, not to mention the national media, are going to notice consecutive 30+ point blowouts.

The rest of the league should extent thanks to the Hoyas.  We won't be tagged with an 0-8 record added to our opponents SOS rating based on their performance.

Actually, I think that's fair.  You're right.

At this point, I think the more interesting question is whether this is somehow related to the relationship between Georgetown and Nike.  Not because of Ewing's preferences -- I don't buy into that at all -- but because of the expired licensing agreement.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
At this point, I think the more interesting question is whether this is somehow related to the relationship between Georgetown and Nike.  Not because of Ewing's preferences -- I don't buy into that at all -- but because of the expired licensing agreement.

Occam's Razor: Georgetown dropped out because Ewing didn't want to lose three games.