2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Academic All Americans by Pakuni
[Today at 09:06:28 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oh Georgetown...  (Read 10622 times)

GGGG

• All American
Oh Georgetown...
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/08/01/georgetown-drops-out-of-loaded-pk80-tournament/

"The Hoyas dropped out of the field of the PK80, the star-studded November tournament in honor of Nike founder Phil Knight’s 80th birthday, on Tuesday."

They're being replaced by DePaul.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Oh Georgetown...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
I don't really understand why.  Are they that worried about getting their butts kicked?

I know they're going to be bad this season, but why drop out of a nice non con tournament?  Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:19:46 AM »
I don't really understand why.  Are they that worried about getting their butts kicked?

I know they're going to be bad this season, but why drop out of a nice non con tournament?  Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

That's what it looked like on Twitter when I saw the Casual Hoya tweet. I think they're pretty much scared. How sad that DePaul has more confidence to go into that type of tournament than the mighty Hoyas?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
That's what it looked like on Twitter when I saw the Casual Hoya tweet. I think they're pretty much scared. How sad that DePaul has more confidence to go into that type of tournament than the mighty Hoyas?

Well, DePaul has nothing to lose, so there's that...
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
Ceding their place among the game’s greats is bad move for Georgetown, even more so if it comes from a place of fear of their ability to compete.

SMFH.  WTF?!?

Seriously, I'm trying to find the silver lining in having one of our conference's three flagship programs deciding to tuck tail.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
Well, DePaul has nothing to lose, so there's that...

With a new coach and considering what they lost, I don't think GT does either. GT has missed two tournaments running, losing both seasons both years, and has missed three of the last four. People know what they are right now. Hiding away from the spotlight won't change that.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »
What message does this send to the freshmen and sophomores who you're going to need to lead in a few years?
I'm dying to know whose idea this was and the convos around it, but we probably never will.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 10:50:30 AM »
This is probably because Ewing has his own shoe line and he can't stomach the thought of shilling for the company that MJ built.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
What message does this send to the freshmen and sophomores who you're going to need to lead in a few years?
I'm dying to know whose idea this was and the convos around it, but we probably never will.

Does anyone know if prorams are limited in the number of preseason tournaments they can play in?  Can a school play in one every year?  If there's any limit, GU may be putting particiopation off until they have more to work with, and so they can use a future tournament as a recruiting aid.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 11:04:48 AM »
Does anyone know if prorams are limited in the number of preseason tournaments they can play in?  Can a school play in one every year?  If there's any limit, GU may be putting particiopation off until they have more to work with, and so they can use a future tournament as a recruiting aid.

Marquette plays in one every year.  They are valuable due to the number of games you can play. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »

Marquette plays in one every year.  They are valuable due to the number of games you can play.

Maybe Patrick doesn't want to run with the big dogs until he's had some time to install his system?

Being in a preseason tournament every year is a sign of a quality program since they are by invitation.  For the sake of the Big East, let's hope that Georgetwon stays on that list.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:23:17 AM by 4everCrean »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
Very interesting.  I agree that GTown looks very weak in doing this.  It would be much better and take your beatdown like a man.  Ridicule worthy.

But let me ask a different question.  If my memory serves, teams are limited to one of these tournaments a year and that the tournament counts as 'one' game (or is it 'two'?) even if the tournament is like three games guaranteed.  That's why teams play them so they can get extra games.  (Somebody can please clarify all that.)  Now I can understand that GTown can simply 'go short' this year but I'm really surprised that DePaul still has the opportunity to slot in at this very late date.  Could DePaul still possibly be asking girls to the dance this close to Prom?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:27:21 AM by jsglow »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
Wow. Ewing just brought in a 2017 top 100 recruit too. There still going to be bad but not so bad that I think they should be running from challenges.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
Wow. Ewing just brought in a 2017 top 100 recruit too. There still going to be bad but not so bad that I think they should be running from challenges.

Didn't they grab a few grad transfers too? Can't imagine those guys are too happy with the news.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
But let me ask a different question.  If my memory serves, teams are limited to one of these tournaments a year and that the tournament counts as 'one' game (or is it 'two'?) even if the tournament is like three games guaranteed.  That's why teams play them so they can get extra games.  (Somebody can please clarify all that.)  Now I can understand that GTown can simply 'go short' this year but I'm really surprised that DePaul still has the opportunity to slot in at this very late date.  Could DePaul still possibly be asking girls to the dance this close to Prom?

Teams are limited to one tournament. It counts as one game but allows for up to four games played. So our tournament in Maui will have 3 games on the island and one on the mainland (Mount St. Mary's) but only count as one on the schedule.

The schedule allows you to play 10 non-conference games, but if one of those is an exempt tournament you can get 12-13 games.

Interestingly, last year North Carolina actually played 14 non-conference games. Not sure how that worked but one of the teams was Chaminade, who is D2 and thus doesn't count towards RPI. Maybe they were given an exemption because of it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »
Teams are limited to one tournament. It counts as one game but allows for up to four games played. So our tournament in Maui will have 3 games on the island and one on the mainland (Mount St. Mary's) but only count as one on the schedule.

The schedule allows you to play 10 non-conference games, but if one of those is an exempt tournament you can get 12-13 games.

Interestingly, last year North Carolina actually played 14 non-conference games. Not sure how that worked but one of the teams was Chaminade, who is D2 and thus doesn't count towards RPI. Maybe they were given an exemption because of it.

Okay, so assuming that DePaul has yet to announce their full non-con and further assuming that they had the actual tournament dates wide open, they would be in position to accept a late invite.  I suppose they could also 'un-invite' a previously purchased buy game writing them a check to simply go away.

I'll say it again.  I find GTown's decision incredulous.  Very weak.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »

Was Chaminade their opening game in Maui?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
It seems like Hoya fans don't have any explanation for this either: http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/30418/georgetown-backs-out-pk80-tournament?page=8
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 11:52:59 AM »
Was Chaminade their opening game in Maui?

Yes, so they did know in advance they would have a D2 opponent on the schedule. Regardless, even if it's a D2 opponent, it is still part of the "1 game" included in the tournament. In the past, we have been involved in tournaments that only gave us 3 games instead of 4 and did not get any additional game as compensation. I suppose it wouldn't be the first time UNC got preferential treatment, if that's the case.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »

If Chaminade wasn't a tournament game, maybe they were an exhibition game?

answered

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
I think this is most disheartening from a fan's perspective.  Could you imagine if MU pulled out of its tournament in Wojo's first year, only to play a couple crap games?  Not that it was a top level tournament, but those games are part of the fun of being a fan.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »
I think this is most disheartening from a fan's perspective.  Could you imagine if MU pulled out of its tournament in Wojo's first year, only to play a couple crap games?  Not that it was a top level tournament, but those games are part of the fun of being a fan.

If Georgetwon managed an upset, the fans would be floating out of the arena.  And it'd be a legendary start for a new coach.  Ewing must think he's got a ton of new stuff to put in.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »
This just in.  Casual Hoya reports that Georgetown has announced that it will forfeit each of their 18 Big East conference games in 2017-18.  Coach Ewing is quoted as saying, "We will use the January through March time period as an extended training camp in preparation for a highly competitive 2018-19 season.  Full season ticket holders will enjoy reruns of our 1984 national championship on the Jumbotron in lieu of our games."  Continuing contributions to the Blue & Gray fund are required to maintain your season ticket seats for 2018-19.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »

Agreed. We were underdogs against both Georgia Tech and Tennessee. We won those games and got both Carlino's 38-point blitzkrieg and Duane Wilson's 30-point coming out party. Granted, bigger programs in this tournament, but all it takes is one win in a game like that to be a highlight of the season like those two games were.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
If Georgetwon managed an upset, the fans would be floating out of the arena.  And it'd be a legendary start for a new coach.  Ewing must think he's got a ton of new stuff to put in.

Exactly.  No one would have cared if they got blown out by even a decent team but if they got a big upset (which can always happen that time of year) people would be really stoked for the season.  In other words, just like DePaul they had nothing to lose.  Very weak move.

feedback