[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Which freshman will have the best season/biggest impact

Jamal Cain
23 (18.7%)
Ike Eke
5 (4.1%)
Theo John
91 (74%)
Greg Elliott
4 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Voting closed: August 10, 2017, 09:16:38 PM

Author Topic: Which freshman will have the best season/biggest impact  (Read 6024 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Which freshman will have the best season/biggest impact
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
Well, it was obvious. After the other poll regarding breakout seasons from our returning guys, someone needed to post this. We have an interesting bunch of frosh, with differing attributes and talents. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, and give Scoopers a chance to look back and see how well they prognosticated.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Which freshman will have the best season/biggest impact
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »
John, simply because he has the least positional overlap and the most college ready body.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »
I have to agree with you, Brew. Have not seen any of them play, but Jamal and Greg seem rather slim, and from what I hear Ike is a bit of a project.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:21 PM »
I think Ike will have the biggest impact.   I am not sure why everyone is labeling him raw etc. The young man started as a Junior at Center on the Michigan Class A state championship team. That is not the definition of a raw player at all. His skills around the rim and running the floor are exceptional. I think we get 6-8 minutes of solid energy from him a game in Big East play and much more against the cupcakes.

Here are Haanifs comments on Ike Per Mr. Dodds:

http://scout.com/college/marquette/Board/104085/Contents/Haney-Cheatham-on-Ike-Eke-105538201
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »
I think Ike will have the biggest impact.   I am not sure why everyone is labeling him raw etc. The young man started as a Junior at Center on the Michigan Class A state championship team. That is not the definition of a raw player at all. His skills around the rim and running the floor are exceptional. I think we get 6-8 minutes of solid energy from him a game in Big East play and much more against the cupcakes.

Here are Haanifs comments on Ike Per Mr. Dodds:

http://scout.com/college/marquette/Board/104085/Contents/Haney-Cheatham-on-Ike-Eke-105538201

I'm shocked a 6'10" kid could find time on his high school basketball team.

He's ranked over 300 just about everywhere you look, wasn't ranked in any of the lists of top Michigan players, etc.

This is the best of the best of Scoop.  MUFNY picks the lowest rated kid in each class and hypes the heck up out of them just so that when they don't get any run whatsoever he can yell from the top of the molehill that Wojo is demotivating the guys, treating his freshman unfairly, not giving Eke his shot, and going to force the kid out if he doesn't change his ways.

Sad, but true.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »
I like Cain a lot. I think John will get more opportunity this season but I think we will some flashes from Cain that make us very excited for the future.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:33:06 PM »
I'm shocked a 6'10" kid could find time on his high school basketball team.

He's ranked over 300 just about everywhere you look, wasn't ranked in any of the lists of top Michigan players, etc.

This is the best of the best of Scoop.  MUFNY picks the lowest rated kid in each class and hypes the heck up out of them just so that when they don't get any run whatsoever he can yell from the top of the molehill that Wojo is demotivating the guys, treating his freshman unfairly, not giving Eke his shot, and going to force the kid out if he doesn't change his ways.

Sad, but true.
Rankings are not worth the paper they are written on. However, Ike was consistently ranked highly in the state.   Michigan is not Wisconsin. There is a rich basketball tradition in the state and to start as a Junior on a  Class A , large school ,  State Championship team is a big deal . Guys at level uniformly over the last 70 years or so have all gone on to be solid D1 players.

If you cared to read Dodds piece he feels Ike will be among the all time Great shot blockers in our school history and his teammate Haanif had very positive things to say, when he could have just as easily said proforma stuff. Haanif is a good guy and doesnt just run his mouth.

Ike is not  a joke. He is the real thing. You should take the time and go watch him in person the way I did. You might feel differently about him if you did.

Also if you cared to read what I said, I expect Ike to get 6-8 minutes a game. So its not like I am saying he is going to take over a starting role.  Theo will get minutes and Matt will get the Majority of the minutes. Froling will have some time as well. They all contribute in different ways.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:51:39 PM »
Rankings are not worth the paper they are written on. However, Ike was consistently ranked highly in the state.   Michigan is not Wisconsin. There is a rich basketball tradition in the state and to start as a Junior on a  Class A , large school ,  State Championship team is a big deal . Guys at level uniformly over the last 70 years or so have all gone on to be solid D1 players.

If you cared to read Dodds piece he feels Ike will be among the all time Great shot blockers in our school history and his teammate Haanif had very positive things to say, when he could have just as easily said proforma stuff. Haanif is a good guy and doesnt just run his mouth.

Ike is not  a joke. He is the real thing. You should take the time and go watch him in person the way I did. You might feel differently about him if you did.

Also if you cared to read what I said, I expect Ike to get 6-8 minutes a game. So its not like I am saying he is going to take over a starting role.  Theo will get minutes and Matt will get the Majority of the minutes. Froling will have some time as well. They all contribute in different ways.

http://bankhoops.com/michigan-player-rankings/

Not listed here.  What do you think Cheatham is going to say?  Dods: "Hey Haanif, how is your teammate Ike Eke looking?"  Cheatham: "He looks lost out there.  He has a lot of work to do to catch up to everyone else.  A redshirt year would do him well."  Yeah, seems likely.

You said you expect Ike to be the biggest impact freshman this year and that you don't understand how anybody could call him raw.  If Ike is not raw and he really is the biggest impact freshman this year he's getting more than 6-8 mpg in the BE.  I would hope that if he's getting 6-8 mpg in the BE that means he's raw, because I'm hoping there's room for progress there and by his junior and senior seasons he's contributing more than 6-8 BE minutes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:07:42 PM »
I can tell you, based on seeing him only once, which can be very misleading, is that Elliot can really shoot. The biggest opportunity at playing time is at guard.  Sacar, Cain and Hani can play guard, but the team really only has three true guards, which gives Elliot a great opportunity to get playing time.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 11:34:46 PM »
http://bankhoops.com/michigan-player-rankings/

Not listed here.  What do you think Cheatham is going to say?  Dods: "Hey Haanif, how is your teammate Ike Eke looking?"  Cheatham: "He looks lost out there.  He has a lot of work to do to catch up to everyone else.  A redshirt year would do him well."  Yeah, seems likely.

You said you expect Ike to be the biggest impact freshman this year and that you don't understand how anybody could call him raw.  If Ike is not raw and he really is the biggest impact freshman this year he's getting more than 6-8 mpg in the BE.  I would hope that if he's getting 6-8 mpg in the BE that means he's raw, because I'm hoping there's room for progress there and by his junior and senior seasons he's contributing more than 6-8 BE minutes.
Mick McCabe has a perspective on Michigan High School Basketball that dates back to the 70s. He listed Ike quite high.
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/mick-mccabe/2016/12/09/michigan-high-school-basketball/95123422/

I like all our freshman. I think Ike will be the biggest impact because in the minutes he has he will make an important contribution in shot blocking, rebounding and running the floor.  The others will have their moments as well and I think the whole group will be fantastic by the time they are sophomores.

I am firmly in the Pro Ike Camp.
                       ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 11:41:40 PM »
I can tell you, based on seeing him only once, which can be very misleading, is that Elliot can really shoot. The biggest opportunity at playing time is at guard.  Sacar, Cain and Hani can play guard, but the team really only has three true guards, which gives Elliot a great opportunity to get playing time.

Thanks, for your view on the limited exposure of Greg.  I was going for John, which certainly is the most logical choice.

But I remembered a Big Daddy post mention Wojo would not be recruiting that position once Greg was committed.

I'm a big fan of Wojo's  evaluation of talent, and get the feeling that if we don't get "Q", coach will be happy with what Greg contribute in his first year.

If he is a late bloomer that can hit 3's then I think we step forward, not back.
Anyways it looks like he only got my vote. It's go'na be an exciting season. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 05:02:40 AM »
I like Cain a lot. I think John will get more opportunity this season but I think we will some flashes from Cain that make us very excited for the future.

Damn, why didn't I write that?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 05:07:53 AM »
Mick McCabe has a perspective on Michigan High School Basketball that dates back to the 70s. He listed Ike quite high.
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/mick-mccabe/2016/12/09/michigan-high-school-basketball/95123422/

I like all our freshman. I think Ike will be the biggest impact because in the minutes he has he will make an important contribution in shot blocking, rebounding and running the floor.  The others will have their moments as well and I think the whole group will be fantastic by the time they are sophomores.

Are you sure you like all our freshmen?  Your man, Mick McCabe, only has Greg Elliott rated at 13th.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 06:38:51 AM »

So a list from the first month of last year's high school season ranked a high major D1 commit highly on his very early season player ranking list?

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
Test...... Just checking, wanted to make sure there wasn't a 5000 post minimum on this thread.   

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
Are you sure you like all our freshmen?  Your man, Mick McCabe, only has Greg Elliott rated at 13th.
These ratings don't matter. Lots of good players. Elliot is going to be a strong player for us.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
So a list from the first month of last year's high school season ranked a high major D1 commit highly on his very early season player ranking list?
Yes it did. Nothing unusual with that. He saw Ike play in person many times.

Quote from Mr. Dodds:

"He is 6-9. Before his career is over, he will rank among the best shot blocker's in the history of MU with Jim McIlvaine , Bo Ellis , Larry McNeill. Jerome Whitehead. Jim Chones. Just not this yr

Eke is able to block shots with 2 hands"

That is very good company that Ike is potentially in.

---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 09:34:30 AM »

6-8 minutes is a reasonable prediction for Eke. I don't think he'll get there but it is more than reasonable to think that he could. What I'm curious is about is that 6-8 minutes will somehow translate to being the impact freshman. Does that mean you expect the the 7 returners to get the brunt of the minutes, with Eke being the third guy off the bench who gets 6-8 and all the other freshmen just get spot minutes? I would assume the impact freshman would likely get the most minutes of the freshmen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
I don't know if Dodds is a lawyer or not, but his interview technique sounds a lot like when the criminal defendant decides to represent himself in an episode of SVU. Leading the question is an understatement.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
I saw that and immediately knew he was a hack.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »
Yes it did. Nothing unusual with that. He saw Ike play in person many times.

Quote from Mr. Dodds:

"He is 6-9. Before his career is over, he will rank among the best shot blocker's in the history of MU with Jim McIlvaine , Bo Ellis , Larry McNeill. Jerome Whitehead. Jim Chones. Just not this yr

Eke is able to block shots with 2 hands"

That is very good company that Ike is potentially in.
so the thread is about biggest impact this year, and you continue to quote dodds as your reason for thinking eke will have the biggest impact, and in dodd's post he says, "just no this yr."  makes perfect sense. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
As a Detroit Catholic league alum (Brother Rice) I've seen Ike a couple times and other than his size and athleticism I haven't been impressed. Maybe now that he's in college he'll actually work on/learn basketball skills but in high school he didn't really have any.

I've mentioned this before but I work with a UofD alum who goes to all their games and his comparison of Ike is a raw Dennis Rodman.

I think he'll be a good energy guy and can snag a few rebounds but I'm not expecting much outta him
Bring back FFP!!!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
6-8 minutes is a reasonable prediction for Eke. I don't think he'll get there but it is more than reasonable to think that he could. What I'm curious is about is that 6-8 minutes will somehow translate to being the impact freshman. Does that mean you expect the the 7 returners to get the brunt of the minutes, with Eke being the third guy off the bench who gets 6-8 and all the other freshmen just get spot minutes? I would assume the impact freshman would likely get the most minutes of the freshmen.
When I look at the freshman relative to the rest of our roster I believe the best chance for a freshman to make an impact is on the defensive , rebounding end etc.  There are too many incumbent upperclassmen who will either dominate the ball or have significant experience for the freshman to have a chance to make a meaningful offensive impact.

So in that scenario, Ike being the most athletic, fastest  and having  the sense of running the floor has the best chance to come in and be an  instant energy player. I value his speed a lot. Theo will be right there with him doing a lot of dirty work. Cain and Elliot , who both have huge upside, will be getting stronger and adjusting to the physicality of our league etc.   The luxury of having a deep bench is to let those two guys work their way in. Part of my analysis is that Sacar is going to be better than expected and will garner significant time.
                       ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »
When I look at the freshman relative to the rest of our roster I believe the best chance for a freshman to make an impact is on the defensive , rebounding end etc.  There are too many incumbent upperclassmen who will either dominate the ball or have significant experience for the freshman to have a chance to make a meaningful offensive impact.

So in that scenario, Ike being the most athletic, fastest  and having  the sense of running the floor has the best chance to come in and be an  instant energy player. I value his speed a lot. Theo will be right there with him doing a lot of dirty work. Cain and Elliot , who both have huge upside, will be getting stronger and adjusting to the physicality of our league etc.   The luxury of having a deep bench is to let those two guys work their way in. Part of my analysis is that Sacar is going to be better than expected and will garner significant time.

Somehow I believe we have just been given a preview version of 75% of MUFINY's posts over the next season.  Hit ignore now if you don't want to hear this over and over again.

The only suspense left is which of our best players Sand-knit will decide to hate on.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:26:07 AM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »
Rankings are not worth the paper they are written on.

Beyond stupid. They are incredibly accurate at the top.

9 of the top 10 ranked guys last year were 1st round draft picks (the 10th would have been as well if he entered the draft). Also 4 more from rankings 11-19.

The rest of the thousands and thousands of HS players? A total of 3. And one of those was Markkanen who was a foreign guy.

If you want to say that they don't mean a lot when talking about whether a guy is ranked 40th or 81st, then you have a point. That is not what you said though.

feedback