Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hate Rankings  (Read 16722 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Hate Rankings
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2017, 07:54:40 AM »
All right... who's the smartass who voted for UWM?

The smart money is on a UWM alum.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »
Close geography and winning creates the hate. Syracuse is on there because so many of their alums travelled up from Chicago and we had close NCAA matches. Add that Jimmy B is a pompous swarthy scumbag elite.

Always hated DePaul but now it's a pity clap. ND tops my list. Badgers is a great fan rivalry. Louisville's Pleather Travelling Sideshow was special. Creighton is a fast riser as we are their nearest (good) travel game.

The truly sad thing about DePaul is that although they are at best a meh game for us, we are a huge rival from their point of view.  They really hate all that yellow they see at their home games with us.  It makes them a dangerous team for us in Chicago.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2017, 08:12:11 AM »
The truly sad thing about DePaul is that although they are at best a meh game for us, we are a huge rival from their point of view.  They really hate all that yellow they see at their home games with us.  It makes them a dangerous team for us in Chicago.

True those 10 fans of theirs hate us vehemently
Maigh Eo for Sam

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »
That is right, but I did not really want to remember the name.

January 15, 2011.  The "Miracle on Main".  Up 18 with 5:36 to go and lose by 1.  Still hurts.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
January 15, 2011.  The "Miracle on Main".  Up 18 with 5:36 to go and lose by 1.  Still hurts.

Was in Louisville for this game.  Pretty sure Preston Knowles got hot in the last 5 minutes and then Mike Marra hit a 3 with about 5 seconds left.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
Was in Louisville for this game.  Pretty sure Preston Knowles got hot in the last 5 minutes and then Mike Marra hit a 3 with about 5 seconds left.

And we went in to our classic stall offense because why would you want to continue scoring points once you have a lead?

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
Seton hall is absolutely on the hate ratings. I hope we crush these guys this year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »

True dat.  Ironically, the DePaul Athletic Dept. actually loves us as it's the only game they sell any tickets for.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
I am confident that Wojo is leading us back to our rightful place in the state and I am hopeful that Gard will lead the rodents off a cliff.

WELL SAID TAMU!!!!!!

Well said!

Eye

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »
Was also at the MU game at UL in '11. Up 18 with 5:44. Buycks made the terrible decision to attack and try and score with about 15 seconds left up 1 when should have waited, taken a foul, made two free throws and run more time off the clock. Final bucket for UL wasn't a 3, but a wide-open 2 underneath for Kyle Kuric after Knowles had hit all those 3s in the previous 5-plus minutes. JFB missed a shot at the horn. Center Stephen Van Treese had a career day too down the stretch IIRC and center Terrance Jennings, who was an awful foul shooter, hit 4-of-4 down the stretch for UL. All this came after MU clobbered ND earlier in the week on Big Monday. A 10 a.m. Central tip time game. Made for a rotten rest of the weekend and trip back home.

Found the box score - Weird to see an MU box score with Vander Blue playing 5 minutes, 3 fouls, 1 T0, and Davante Gardner, 2 minutes, 1 TO. Also weird to see a box score for UL with Russ Smith, 2 minutes, 0-1 3's. And also funny I don't remember Driscoll doing that game. That's the way it's supposed to work. Boy has that changed in 6 1/2 years.
GO WARRIORS!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2017, 07:29:03 AM »
Well Buckyville has a thread going right now titled "Marquette Sucks" so I wouldn't assume the hate is that much of a one way street.

Theres definite little brother syndrome right now.  They get all the media attention,  everyone in the state automatically cheers for them and they have sadly been better than us for most of the new millennia. But the hate that can develop between a little and big brother is something that is unique and fuels the rivalry.  I am confident that Wojo is leading us back to our rightful place in the state and I am hopeful that Gard will lead the rodents off a cliff.

I love beating UW as much as any other MU alum; and I agree that Wojo is leading us back, but I hope that UW does not sink to the level that we experienced over the last few years. I rather defeat a worthy rival than one down on its backside. Competition is good and we may just be better for it, and you know what: Marquette has sucked for the past 3 years albeit last season, but the future looks promising.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »

Nonsense.  We compete with them for the attention of the average local fan.  Nothing about UW being good can help us.  I hope they experience 10 more Steve Yoders.

DePaul on the other hand, I could at least see an argument about how it would help us if they were better, but not as good as us.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »
Nonsense.  We compete with them for the attention of the average local fan.  Nothing about UW being good can help us.  I hope they experience 10 more Steve Yoders.

DePaul on the other hand, I could at least see an argument about how it would help us if they were better, but not as good as us.
Given that we do not seem to recruit much in Illinois these days, I think DePaul becoming good again wouild be a postive.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2017, 11:26:45 AM »
Given that we do not seem to recruit much in Illinois these days, I think DePaul becoming good again wouild be a postive.

Maybe Ed Morrow could be the start of some inroads into Chicago. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2017, 09:31:52 PM »

Couldn't disagree more. To be the best, you have to beat the best. Can't be afraid of competition. Whether it's on the court or battling for top local recruits. By your logic, we shouldn't be in the Big East because we compete with Nova, Xavier etc. for fans and recruits on the East Coast or nationwide.

Duke-UNC is a great rivalry because they're both legendary programs in the same state. Both programs benefit; every game is a highlight game on a national basis — especially when both schools are ranked highly.

As our main rival and strongest non-conference opponent, UW benefits us most when they're at their best (and we're at the same level or better). I'd like nothing more if the UW-Marquette series approached the level of Duke-UNC.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:34:19 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »
We play them once a year and we aren't even in the same conference like Duke and NC.

Let them go ahead and rot for the foreseeable future. Couldn't care less if they won single digit games for the next 20 years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »
Hear what you all are saying but I don't care. Hate isn't logical. I want to see Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas, and Kentucky loss as many games as possible.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
If UW was a hopelessly pathetic program, at the level of UW-Milwaukee (ranked 259th by KenPom in 2016-17), why continue the rivalry at all? I focus on the Big East conference schedule. But I do look forward to playing the Badgers every year. And I wouldn't enjoy beating them nearly as much if they were a complete pushover. Sounds boring, if you ask me.

I'm curious about something else. Let's say by some miracle we resumed our annual series with Notre Dame — another non-conference opponent repeatedly mentioned as a hated rival. Would you want them to be terrible, as well? For me, it wouldn't be worth playing the Fighting Irish if they were last-place in the ACC every season.

Great rivalries require a worthy opponent. Getting a victory at the Kohl Center — where the Badgers win close to 90% of their games — will be a huge challenge. I wouldn't have it any other way.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2017, 07:38:56 AM »
If UW was a hopelessly pathetic program, at the level of UW-Milwaukee (ranked 259th by KenPom in 2016-17), why continue the rivalry at all? I focus on the Big East conference schedule. But I do look forward to playing the Badgers every year. And I wouldn't enjoy beating them nearly as much if they were a complete pushover. Sounds boring, if you ask me.

I'm curious about something else. Let's say by some miracle we resumed our annual series with Notre Dame — another non-conference opponent repeatedly mentioned as a hated rival. Would you want them to be terrible, as well? For me, it wouldn't be worth playing the Fighting Irish if they were last-place in the ACC every season.

Great rivalries require a worthy opponent. Getting a victory at the Kohl Center — where the Badgers win close to 90% of their games — will be a huge challenge. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes. I would enjoy pounding the snot out of a last place Wisconsin and Notre Dame every year. Told you, hate ain't logical.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. To be the best, you have to beat the best. Can't be afraid of competition. Whether it's on the court or battling for top local recruits. By your logic, we shouldn't be in the Big East because we compete with Nova, Xavier etc. for fans and recruits on the East Coast or nationwide.

Duke-UNC is a great rivalry because they're both legendary programs in the same state. Both programs benefit; every game is a highlight game on a national basis — especially when both schools are ranked highly.

As our main rival and strongest non-conference opponent, UW benefits us most when they're at their best (and we're at the same level or better). I'd like nothing more if the UW-Marquette series approached the level of Duke-UNC.

Just curious, but did you grow up in WI and do you live here now?  I think this always impacts everyone's feeling about UW.  In my experience, the more you interact with their fan base, the more you dislike them and want them to lose every game.

Also, how familiar are you with the Duke/UNC rivalry?  I lived down there for a few years, and everyone hates Duke, except for people that actually went there.  Duke can fill their arena because it's small, they have just enough local hard-core fans, and it's a novelty to visit.  At MU, we have 18,000 seats to fill every game, which means we need more of the casual, local fans.  We struggle to get a decent radio deal, and struggle to get any coverage from the local media.  UW being good only makes that more difficult.  We fight with UW for a limited number of local recruits.  I think Duke is a unique situation since they're able to live off their national reputation and fan following.  Life is better for MU when UW sucks.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2017, 08:48:05 AM »
Just curious, but did you grow up in WI and do you live here now?  I think this always impacts everyone's feeling about UW.  In my experience, the more you interact with their fan base, the more you dislike them and want them to lose every game.

Also, how familiar are you with the Duke/UNC rivalry?  I lived down there for a few years, and everyone hates Duke, except for people that actually went there.  Duke can fill their arena because it's small, they have just enough local hard-core fans, and it's a novelty to visit.  At MU, we have 18,000 seats to fill every game, which means we need more of the casual, local fans.  We struggle to get a decent radio deal, and struggle to get any coverage from the local media.  UW being good only makes that more difficult.  We fight with UW for a limited number of local recruits.  I think Duke is a unique situation since they're able to live off their national reputation and fan following.  Life is better for MU when UW sucks.

Lifelong Wisconsin resident. Born in Milwaukee, grew up in the northwest part of the state (River Falls), graduated high school from Platteville, lived in Milwaukee since graduating from Marquette.

As pointed out, fandom isn't rational. You can't change how you feel. But I think a series against a vastly inferior opponent has little to offer. Look at the Marquette-DePaul series. This used to be a truly great rivalry. Today it's a ghost of its former self — despite the fact that we're just 90 miles apart and play twice a year.

My hatred for the Blue Demons flowed much more strongly in the 90s when they were good. I can only imagine what it was like in the 70s. Today I almost feel pity for them; their basketball program is pathetic. If they were at least semi-competitive the past decade, the rivalry would be way better. Just my opinion. Hate away however you like.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
To have a meaningful rivalry, both schools have to be consistently performing at a high level . When the disparity is too much the rivalry loses intensity.

A great example is the Michigan State Michigan football rivalry. There was a long period where MSU was a significantly  weaker program and the rivalry lost its appeal. It was still a big sold out game but the U of M people focused much more on the Ohio State game.  In the last 10 years or so the game has become more of a rivalry type game as the programs have been more evenly matched.

I never considered UW much of a rival in the Al era. Now that they are consistently competitive the game has more of a rivalry feel to it. I like where our program is relative to theirs at this point and believe we will do well over the course of next few years in this game.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2017, 09:58:45 AM »
Lifelong Wisconsin resident. Born in Milwaukee, grew up in the northwest part of the state (River Falls), graduated high school from Platteville, lived in Milwaukee since graduating from Marquette.

As pointed out, fandom isn't rational. You can't change how you feel. But I think a series against a vastly inferior opponent has little to offer. Look at the Marquette-DePaul series. This used to be a truly great rivalry. Today it's a ghost of its former self — despite the fact that we're just 90 miles apart and play twice a year.

My hatred for the Blue Demons flowed much more strongly in the 90s when they were good. I can only imagine what it was like in the 70s. Today I almost feel pity for them; their basketball program is pathetic. If they were at least semi-competitive the past decade, the rivalry would be way better. Just my opinion. Hate away however you like.

Thanks for the answer, you make a lot of valid points, and I agree the games are more fun when they're competitive.  I just wish we were winning more than losing against UW.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
To have a meaningful rivalry, both schools have to be consistently performing at a high level . When the disparity is too much the rivalry loses intensity.

I agree, kind of like how the Packers-Bears rivalry isn't what it could be when both are pretty good teams.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2017, 10:12:59 AM »
My feelings on this topic have changed a great deal over the years. Sitting here today, the one team I always to see MU play, and beat, is Kentucky. Strong feelings on Kentucky since childhood and they still remain today. Honestly, the other hated teams have lost their hate for us and it takes away from the rivalry.