[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 79Warrior
[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hate Rankings  (Read 16719 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Hate Rankings
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 11:15:16 PM »
Close geography and winning creates the hate. Syracuse is on there because so many of their alums travelled up from Chicago and we had close NCAA matches. Add that Jimmy B is a pompous swarthy scumbag elite.

Always hated DePaul but now it's a pity clap. ND tops my list. Badgers is a great fan rivalry. Louisville's Pleather Travelling Sideshow was special. Creighton is a fast riser as we are their nearest (good) travel game.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:23 PM »
The problem with our "Rivals" is that we're not playing them!

Of course bucky is #1 and that's because they suck and because of the in-state thing and really because we've had a home and home with them forever and because they suck. 

ND should be #2 but we haven't played them in a long time so the will to hate is fading.

Cincy was the one that always got me going because I worked with several cincy grads and always wondered how anyone that dumb ever got a high school degree let alone a university degree... but we don't play them any more either. 

Dayton was never interesting.  In any fashion.  I similarly can't get excited about Creighton.

DePaul is the natural rival but I agree with the above abandoned dog analogy. 

What we need is a home and home series with another top level midwestern team like Michigan, Minnesota, MSU, Indiana and to bring back the ND home and home series so we have 3 legit rivalry games each year.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »

The problem with our "Rivals" is that we're not playing them!

This.

Other than Bucky, the schools I hated the most when we played them regularly were ND, UL, Cincy (especially in the Huggins/CUSA days) and 'Cuse.  And I hated DePaul beck in the 70s and 80s when they had a high major caliber team; now I look at them kind of like I look at UWM - a team we should blow away every time, but which occasionally gives us a challenge because of geography and it would be their signature win.

The conference merry go round has taken its toll, since many of our traditional rivals were once independents, then were with us in C-USA and/or the BE.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
Living in the state, it's UW. Especially after the last 5 years. It's hysterical to me how the mind of an average UW fan works.

"I root for all the state teams, except Marquette."

Upon finding out I don't like UW: "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CHEER FOR ALL THE STATE TEAMS."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »
All this hate for a fellow Catholic School; I guess with the Jesuits not in charge of the Theology Department it's not surprising.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
All this hate for a fellow Catholic School; I guess with the Jesuits not in charge of the Theology Department it's not surprising.

Don't need to be a catholic to go to MU. Certainly don't need to love the fans of every catholic school to attend a catholic school whether that's MU or anywhere.  don't act like in your day it was somehow better as Al famously talked trash at ND with the nose picking thing
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 09:47:44 AM »
Saw about 10 people wearing Rodents gear while grocery shopping a couple of days ago. I thought I wonder if I said Joey Hauser to them how many of them would actually react. Maybe one? Maybe.

How many would react if you said "free beer for UW alumni"?  Probably none?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
Cincy!

In 93/94 the conference tourney was in cincy and they put MU fans as far away from the court as possible. All the cincy fans stayed for our game and threw cubes of cheese at us and chanted "Dahmer Cheeseheads".

Huggins team of thugs were tough. Even though Cronin coaches now, they still are in my top 3.

1.  UW (intolerant)
2. ND (elitists)
3.  Cincy (cheaters)

I am developing a strong urge to hate creighton and butler as well.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »
1. Wisconsin
2. ND
3. Louisville
4. Cincy

In my mind that's it. There is potential for newer BE teams to become a rival, but for me these are the four true rivals.
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »
The trouble with rivalry games is it really sucks when you lose.
I am so glad we no longer play Louisville. There are so many games that we lost in the last second against them that we should of won.
Amoroso getting called for a foul on a made free throw.
Buycks driving in and missing instead of holding onto the ball.
Game winning shots by Smith and another player I cannot remember his name.
Butch Lee missing two free throws at end of game when we were down one.
Besides that it seems like we always lose recruiting battles with them.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 11:11:16 AM »
It definitely used to be Louisville, Cincy (especially in the 90s) and Notre Dame.  The fact that we don't play these teams anymore makes it hard for me to really care much.

I would add Villanova and Georgetown.  We've built a history of some great games against those teams and they have the same elitist attitude as ND (without referencing football championships from 50 years ago). Right now Nova is without question the top dog in our conference and the team to hate for that reason.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
It definitely used to be Louisville, Cincy (especially in the 90s) and Notre Dame.  The fact that we don't play these teams anymore makes it hard for me to really care much.

I would add Villanova and Georgetown.  We've built a history of some great games against those teams and they have the same elitist attitude as ND (without referencing football championships from 50 years ago). Right now Nova is without question the top dog in our conference and the team to hate for that reason.

Which is completely different than referencing a basketball championship from 40 years ago...   ;)
As the bible says, "Let he who is without wins cast the first stone."
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »
This sums up the top of my hate ranking.
I will never root for Kentucky, except for when they play Wisconsin.

Before there was a Cincinnati, before there was a Louisville...there was Kentucky.

There was no better counterpoint and turning of the page than Adolph Rupp vs Alfred McGuire.

Death on call

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
Which is completely different than referencing a basketball championship from 40 years ago...   ;)
As the bible says, "Let he who is without wins cast the first stone."

So true.  I remember watching a game recently and they showed highlights of D-Wade against Kentucky and it made me so proud.  My wife pointed out that nobody else cares about the fact that they got to the final four like 15 years ago.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »
So true.  I remember watching a game recently and they showed highlights of D-Wade against Kentucky and it made me so proud.  My wife pointed out that nobody else cares about the fact that they got to the final four like 15 years ago.

Why are you married to this woman?
Have some patience, FFS.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Why are you married to this woman?

They can't all be like you warrior chick...

LON

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »
The trouble with rivalry games is it really sucks when you lose.
I am so glad we no longer play Louisville. There are so many games that we lost in the last second against them that we should of won.
Amoroso getting called for a foul on a made free throw.
Buycks driving in and missing instead of holding onto the ball.
Game winning shots by Smith and another player I cannot remember his name.
Butch Lee missing two free throws at end of game when we were down one.
Besides that it seems like we always lose recruiting battles with them.

Reece Gaines?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
List #2  -- Hate teams when we get really, really good again:

1) Kentucky -- No two teams in the NCAA have played each other more in tournament play than Marquette and Kentucky. The best time we played them was the DWade game in Minneapolis! We've gone back and forth with them over the years but we've certainly held our own. This is a jerk team and a jerk school. Coach Cal is what's wrong with basketball and hating Kentucky is sort of like hating the New York Yankees in the 1950s. It just comes natural unless you live in the Commonwealth and didn't go to Loserville. Besides, the Baron was a Bigot.

2) North Carolina -- We've only beaten them one time in the four or so times we played them. It was the one time that mattered. They're easy to hate because they're so good. And so arrogant. And they hate us immeasurably. Why? Most Carolina Fans remember Wojo and they hate his guts! Call it hate by association but I've had a few UNC fans tell me they could never again cheer for Marquette because we hired Wojo. Made me feel the Wojo hire was a good one when I heard that!

3) Indiana -- Only God really knows where this program is going now that the Tanned One has been relieved of command. Nonetheless, there's a score to settle with these guys. Dates to 1976 and the regional final. They were really good. So were we. They were just a little bit better that day. So we went home and they were national champions. Their fans are southern Indiana versions of Notre Dame fans. Arrogant, obnoxious and somehow thinking they can reignite the Knight era without Knight. Sorry dudes, aint happening but we hate you anyway!

4) West Virginia -- Huggy coaches here. Need I say more? They hate us because of the Hillbilly dance on their logo (which should have told us Buzz was not happy in a sophisticated place like Milwaukee).

5) Miami of Ohio  -- OK, this is personal for anyone who has been a Warrior fan for years. But there is a score to settle here dating to 1978. They need to be wasted, pummeled into the ground and then beaten for good measure.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:01:10 PM by dgies9156 »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 02:40:19 PM »

1) Kentucky -- No two teams in the NCAA have played each other more in tournament play than Marquette and Kentucky. Last time we played them was the DWade game in Minneapolis!
We've gone back and forth with them over the years but we've certainly held our own. This is a jerk team and a jerk school. Coach Cal is what's wrong with basketball and hating Kentucky is sort of like hating the New York Yankees in the 1950s. It just comes natural unless you live in the Commonwealth and didn't go to Loserville. Besides, the Baron was a Bigot.

Actually the last time we played them was when we beat them in the NCAA tournament in 2008 preceding the loss to Stanford with the three Amigos.  That was Tom Crean's last win as an MU coach.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »
Actually the last time we played them was when we beat them in the NCAA tournament in 2008 preceding the loss to Stanford with the three Amigos.  That was Tom Crean's last win as an MU coach.

Forgot about that one... oops.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »
How many would react if you said "free beer for UW alumni"?  Probably none?

Under 1/2 -10000 would be a good bet there Benny.
GO WARRIORS!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 08:20:21 PM »
Reece Gaines?
That is right, but I did not really want to remember the name.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »

1) Kentucky -- No two teams in the NCAA have played each other more in tournament play than Marquette and Kentucky. The best time we played them was the DWade game in Minneapolis! We've gone back and forth with them over the years but we've certainly held our own. This is a jerk team and a jerk school. Coach Cal is what's wrong with basketball and hating Kentucky is sort of like hating the New York Yankees in the 1950s. It just comes natural unless you live in the Commonwealth and didn't go to Loserville. Besides, the Baron was a Bigot.

2) North Carolina -- We've only beaten them one time in the four or so times we played them. It was the one time that mattered. They're easy to hate because they're so good. And so arrogant. And they hate us immeasurably. Why? Most Carolina Fans remember Wojo and they hate his guts! Call it hate by association but I've had a few UNC fans tell me they could never again cheer for Marquette because we hired Wojo. Made me feel the Wojo hire was a good one when I heard that!

3) Indiana -- Only God really knows where this program is going now that the Tanned One has been relieved of command. Nonetheless, there's a score to settle with these guys. Dates to 1976 and the regional final. They were really good. So were we. They were just a little bit better that day. So we went home and they were national champions. Their fans are southern Indiana versions of Notre Dame fans. Arrogant, obnoxious and somehow thinking they can reignite the Knight era without Knight. Sorry dudes, aint happening but we hate you anyway!

4) West Virginia -- Huggy coaches here. Need I say more? They hate us because of the Hillbilly dance on their logo (which should have told us Buzz was not happy in a sophisticated place like Milwaukee).

5) Miami of Ohio  -- OK, this is personal for anyone who has been a Warrior fan for years. But there is a score to settle here dating to 1978. They need to be wasted, pummeled into the ground and then beaten for good measure.

I was wearing a Marquette shirt while waiting outside a store for my wife and two different guys came up to me and said they hated us because of the 77 title game. Loved hearing that!

Indiana - "Arrogant, obnoxious and somehow thinking they can reignite the Knight era without Knight." Also could have added that there's a nice KKK presence in that part of the state!

We were getting a doggone good rivalry with West Virginia going before the Big East broke up. Too bad it's over.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2017, 12:08:08 AM »
I was wearing a Marquette shirt while waiting outside a store for my wife and two different guys came up to me and said they hated us because of the 77 title game. Loved hearing that!

Indiana - "Arrogant, obnoxious and somehow thinking they can reignite the Knight era without Knight." Also could have added that there's a nice KKK presence in that part of the state!

We were getting a doggone good rivalry with West Virginia going before the Big East broke up. Too bad it's over.

There's a decent KKK showing all over southern Indiana (and a few areas up north too).  If I didn't know better, I'd swear the Mason-Dixon Line ran right down Washington Street in Indianapolis. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.