[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hate Rankings  (Read 16729 times)

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
Hate Rankings
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/7/25/16011736/college-basketball-twitter-who-we-hate-mostly-duke-and-kentucky

Based on who was voting for which schools, the Marquette-Wisconsin hate and Xavier-Cincinnati hate is very, very real

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Hate Rankings
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »
I don't think it goes in both directions equally. The existence of Badger football means we will always care about this rivalry more. Maybe some of the old timers feel differently based on what it used to be, but my peers have moved on to football when we win.

I think until we get back to sustained prominence, there's a bit of 'little-brother' syndrome here.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »
If we had gotten Herro, then we would be the most hated team because of all the winning and national championships we would have.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 01:48:47 PM »
All right... who's the smartass who voted for UWM?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 01:50:27 PM »
Most hated Marquette foes (in order)

1) The Red Rodent -- The only one of our traditional foes we still regularly play each year. We live together, we recruit together and we trash talk together. No wonder we hate 'em, although when they're good, we quietly envy them and vice versa.

2) Notre Dame -- Every nun in America told us if we were good enough, we could go to Notre Dame. If we weren't, we'd go somewhere else. We hated 'em before we ever got to MU and the hate just grew as the years went on. They, of course, dismiss us as a technical school which makes us hate them even more.

3) Dayton -- Not sure why this happened,  but I sense we don't like them and they don't like us. Probably had to do with the days we were all in C*USA and the Dayton Invitational Tournament decided who would be the conference champion. Died down in recent years due to the fact we do not play them much.

4) DePaul -- It's hard to hate anyone with Jean Lenti-Ponsetto (did someone say, pity) as athletic director. Once upon a time, we hated these guys because they were really good. Now, it's like lets feel bad for them and hope something comes back.

5) Cincinnati -- When the Huggy Bear was here, these dudes were just objectionable. With Huggy in the Hills and Mick Cronin as Cincinnati's head coach, they're just obnoxious. Plus, we have not played them in several years.

6) Loserville -- Slick Rick is just deplorable. Some of the ways we lost ball games here made Loserville easy to hate. Dying off because we haven't played them in years.

7) Virginia Tech -- Haven't played them in years. Hatred of this school knows no bounds because of the Hillbilly.

Any others?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:53:08 PM by dgies9156 »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »

1) The Red Rodent -- The only one of our traditional foes we still regularly play each year. We live together, we recruit together and we trash talk together. No wonder we hate 'em, although when they're good, we quietly envy them and vice versa.

2) Notre Dame -- Every nun in America told us if we were good enough, we could go to Notre Dame. If we weren't, we'd go somewhere else. We hated 'em before we ever got to MU and the hate just grew as the years went on. They, of course, dismiss us as a technical school which makes us hate them even more.

3) Dayton -- Not sure why this happened,  but I sense we don't like them and they don't like us. Probably had to do with the days we were all in C*USA and the Dayton Invitational Tournament decided who would be the conference champion. Died down in recent years due to the fact we do not play them much.

4) DePaul -- It's hard to hate anyone with Jean Lenti-Ponsetto (did someone say, pity) as athletic director. Once upon a time, we hated these guys because they were really good. Now, it's like lets feel bad for them and hope something comes back.

5) Cincinnati -- When the Huggy Bear was here, these dudes were just objectionable. With Huggy in the Hills and Mick Cronin as Cincinnati's head coach, they're just obnoxious. Plus, we have not played them in several years.

6) Loserville -- Slick Rick is just deplorable. Some of the ways we lost ball games here made Loserville easy to hate. Dying off because we haven't played them in years.

7) Virginia Tech -- Haven't played them in years. Hatred of this school knows no bounds because of the Hillbilly.

Any others?

I'd just move up Loserville and insert them after ND.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
We don't play them anymore, but I hated playing Charlotte, Southern Mississippi, TCU, Memphis, and UAB.  I felt like we always lost games to them that we shouldn't have.  I'm glad we are no longer in the same conference as them.

I very much enjoy our historic rivalries with ND and Dayton.  I wish we played them more, TBH.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
I'd add Creighton. Their fans were just obnoxious the first couple times here. Of the teams in our reconstituted league, they are right at the top, with only Georgetown rivaling them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:06:40 PM »
I wouldn't say we hate Dayton; UD is like Kevin in the movie "Home Alone," i.e. part of a grossly-oversized extended family where the only people showing him any attention are the ones picking on him.  But nobody hates Kevin.

And while I agree on the history, I'd just like to say you'd just have to be pure evil to hate someone like DePaul these days.  They're like the ragged, starving puppy living in an alley somewhere without a home ever since was abandoned by its owner (seemingly) decades ago.  Even if the thing bites, i.e. beats, you once in a while, that's not hate, that's just your own stupidity for not paying attention.

Too early to add folks like Butler and Creighton.  Hard to hate anyone in the C-7, actually... like hating one of the guys in your infantry unit after pulling through a brutal war together.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:08:22 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
Wisconsin is #7 and we're tied for 19th.

It's just one more way we don't measure up to the Badgers.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 02:22:48 PM »
I don't think it goes in both directions equally. The existence of Badger football means we will always care about this rivalry more. Maybe some of the old timers feel differently based on what it used to be, but my peers have moved on to football when we win.

I think until we get back to sustained prominence, there's a bit of 'little-brother' syndrome here.

Well Buckyville has a thread going right now titled "Marquette Sucks" so I wouldn't assume the hate is that much of a one way street.

Theres definite little brother syndrome right now.  They get all the media attention,  everyone in the state automatically cheers for them and they have sadly been better than us for most of the new millennia. But the hate that can develop between a little and big brother is something that is unique and fuels the rivalry.  I am confident that Wojo is leading us back to our rightful place in the state and I am hopeful that Gard will lead the rodents off a cliff.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »
This sums up the top of my hate ranking.
I will never root for Kentucky, except for when they play Wisconsin.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 02:43:44 PM »
If we had gotten Herro, then we would be the most hated team because of all the winning and national championships we would have.

Teal was unnecessary!

For me, ND is #1. I truly, truly, truly hated them when I was at MU. We played 'em every year and they games were always intense as hell.

My freshman year (78-79) they came into the Mecca ranked #2 in the nation and we had 'em beat but blew it.

My sophomore year, we went to Joyce when they were ranked #10 and we took 'em. We had just lost to Stetson - effen Stetson!!!! - and were unlikely to make the NCAAs. But we won at ND to begin a season-ending 3-game winning streak, and we snuck into the tourney. I went to South Bend for that game, arriving the night before and staying with a buddy who (unforgivably) had transferred to ND. We got completely shyte-faced the night before, slept through the alarm and almost missed the opening tip. Then it was glorious when the Warriors won by 3!

My junior year was Glenn Rivers' heave - one of the great shots in Marquette history. It was probably the best post-game celebration I've been part of.

My senior year, we went to Joyce and beat the Effen Irish again!

So that was 3-1 during my time there, all emotion-packed games, including one decided by a half-court buzzer-beater. So intense, and that has formed my opinion on this question forever. I know that before I got there, Al and Digger went at it big-time, with Al usually prevailing. I was thrilled when we joined the Big East so that we'd get games against them every year again; sad when they left for the ACC.

When I was at Marquette, Wisconsin was mostly an after-thought. Their program sucked and we usually rolled 'em. Obviously, Wisconsin is more of a rival now, given that we don't even play ND anymore. And the recruiting rivalry has really picked up, with us getting the better of Bucky quite often. So it makes sense for anybody who doesn't have old history vs ND to rank Wisconsin higher.

After ND and Bucky, it's a pretty far drop to No. 3 for me. Probably would be DePaul if they were any good at all or maybe Louisville if we still played them.

I do think Butler and Creighton offer some real potential for hate-filled rivalries to be built!

For now, though, my second-favorite team is still whoever is playing Notre Dame. And in football, that team is my first-favorite!!!
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »
I can see Butler and Xavier becoming really good Big East rivalries.

Indianapolis and Cincinnati are both within 400 miles of Milwaukee β€” farther than Madison or South Bend, of course, but a lot closer than Omaha or Philadelphia. Both schools have had more recent success than Marquette. I flat out hate to lose to them, let alone multiple times in the same season (like we did against Xavier two years ago, or the Bulldogs in 2016-17). Hinkle Fieldhouse, apparently referred to as "Indiana's Basketball Cathedral," can burn to the ground as far as I'm concerned.

Truly great rivalries go both ways, of course. I'm sure Xavier's fans won't soon forget us setting a Cintas Center record by scorching the Musketeers for 95 points the last time we came to town. I hope we can find a way to score 100+ against them next time.

Finally, even though Kevin Willard served as an assistant under Rick Pitino, his Seton Hall teams remind me a little of Huggins' Bearcats: very physical, defensively oriented, and easy to label as a bunch of thugs. Their nickname is the Pirates, after all. That's another word for brutish criminals. And they're from Jersey. I hate them already.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:49:15 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
Living in the state, it's UW. Especially after the last 5 years. It's hysterical to me how the mind of an average UW fan works.

"I root for all the state teams, except Marquette."

Upon finding out I don't like UW: "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CHEER FOR ALL THE STATE TEAMS."

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »
1) UW
2) ND

3) DePaul or at least trying to hate them but they need to meet us halfway
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
1. Wisconsin
2. Notre Dame
3. Creighton
4. Louisville
5. Syracuse

Other than that, everyone else is pretty meh. Also, pretty easy to dislike Creighton if you've had the unfortunate occurrence of running into any of their fans.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »
1.Wisconsin
2.Wisconsin
3.Wisconsin
4.Kentucky (goes all the way back to the Baron)
5.Notre Dame
6.Louisville
7.Cincinnati
8.Syracuse
9.Georgetown
10.Seton Hall

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 04:06:43 PM »
As a Minnesota Grad and a Marquette Mom, I cannot think of any three teams, put together, that would eclipse my hate for Wisconsin.  Maybe Duke+Louisville+Kentucky would come close.

However, having two Badger parents and one Badger sibling, I have to keep my rancor to myself.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 04:30:03 PM »
Everybody love Everybody
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
1.  ND.  ND blows.
1A.  Wisky.

And Golden Warrior is right.  If we had Herro, we'd win so much we may even get  tired of winning!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »
Living in the state, it's UW. Especially after the last 5 years. It's hysterical to me how the mind of an average UW fan works.

"I root for all the state teams, except Marquette."

Upon finding out I don't like UW: "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CHEER FOR ALL THE STATE TEAMS."

Saw about 10 people wearing Rodents gear while grocery shopping a couple of days ago. I thought I wonder if I said Joey Hauser to them how many of them would actually react. Maybe one? Maybe.
GO WARRIORS!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »
I'd add Creighton. Their fans were just obnoxious the first couple times here. Of the teams in our reconstituted league, they are right at the top, with only Georgetown rivaling them.

I concur with this analysis.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 10:54:35 PM »

Any others?

7). Virginia Tech cuz of ace custis, sean smith and a blown charging call.

FIFY
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback