[Today at 12:09:51 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Starters  (Read 16227 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: Starters
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »
To the topic, I have to admit that I (for now) agreed with the first poster, TAMU. But Jockey had some meaningful comments. I have got to admit that I am grievously worried about Haani. He needed to do a lot of work this summer and I pray to God he has done it. I also am very suspect about expecting much from Sacar. I know a year off is big for kids of this age, and I hope it has gone well for him, but to date I haven't seen enough to expect him to make a significant difference. May he make me eat my words.  I also worry about Markus and Andrew on the floor at the same time, particularly on defense in the BE. They are both diminuative, and we might need a bigger body on D. Offense/defense subs?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »
Having Markus and Rowsey on the court together is what reversed our slide down the stretch last season.  Having 2 of the best shooters in the entire country on the court together is the last thing I'm worried about.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
My thoughts:

Excited to see Wojo's first team of just his recruits.

Excited to see Stan's and Wojo's proclamation that this team will be vastly improved defensively.

Excited to see stability with five starters who have actually played together before.

For non-100 rated recruits who seem undervalued, excited to see how their potential unfolds. Froling was lower rated than Matty, so let's also see how that plays out. Like John defensively.

Not expecting a NCAA bid with so many inexperienced bench players.

Sacar is X factor.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:48:38 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »
Playing Howard and Rowsey at the same time is not going to be sustrightble for long stretches.  We will get destroyed on the perimeter and they will just collect fouls.

Playing Howard and Rowsey at the same time for double digit minutes is necessary. Is it "sustrightble"? No idea. But it's the appropriate path in most games.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »
Playing Howard and Rowsey at the same time for double digit minutes is necessary. Is it "sustrightble"? No idea. But it's the appropriate path in most games.

No mocking sustainable. That's on the mods for banning the term "aina". Or on 4ever for overusing it. Same reason it would've been awkward had we landed Simi Shittu.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 09:00:41 AM »
Having Markus and Rowsey on the court together is what reversed our slide down the stretch last season.  Having 2 of the best shooters in the entire country on the court together is the last thing I'm worried about.

Yeah I mean do people remember last year?  Starting the two of them together was a huge boost to momentum.  Did it weaken them defensively.  Yeah a little.  But that was more than balanced by how much it strengthened them offensively.

The difference is now they may be able to bring some defensive off the bench when they need to.  Basketball lineups are all about match up and balance.  And they are never set in stone.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »
No mocking sustrightble. That's on the mods for banning the term "aina". Or on 4ever for overusing it. Same reason it would've been awkward had we landed Simi Shittu.

lol, didn't make that connection!! I forgive sustainable.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »
lol, didn't make that connection!! I forgive sustrightble.

Has to be one of my favorite little Scoop quirks  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »
Rowsey and Howard aren't completely incompetent on the defensive end and, and Howard especially, could improve in the off season. The bigger factor now is going to be that we'll have rim protectors that take away the need to force Wowsey and Howard to press the ball which resulted in them getting beat off the dribble or foul. I'm anticipating their foul rate goes down fairly significantly.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »
I love M2N but he was pretty close to incompetent on defense. Worst ppp allowed on the team and in the 5th percentile of D1iirc. But I do agree that he can definitely improve.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
Um, no.  And who is this Rousey you speak of?

I think he played with O'Tule.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 02:35:47 PM »
Problem with Rowsey and Howard together is the switches defensively. You can get by with one undersized guard, but two makes it difficult. I haven't seen enough good high ball screen defense from the rest of the team to feel comfortable with them together. Offensively, they will be awesome. Maybe we should screw defense and just outscore everyone. It would be a fun season at least.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »
Problem with Rowsey and Howard together is the switches defensively. You can get by with one undersized guard, but two makes it difficult. I haven't seen enough good high ball screen defense from the rest of the team to feel comfortable with them together. Offensively, they will be awesome. Maybe we should screw defense and just outscore everyone. It would be a fun season at least.

My view is that isn't a commentary on them but on the bigs (okay, one big in particular) that simply couldn't execute last year on the screen roll.

I agree with eng.  Our new beef inside should improve rim protection.  Alter and miss the shot.  We aren't winning 56-52. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:33 PM »
My view is that isn't a commentary on them but on the bigs (okay, one big in particular) that simply couldn't execute last year on the screen roll.

I agree with eng.  Our new beef inside should improve rim protection.  Alter and miss the shot.  We aren't winning 56-52.

Luke hedged on 90%? of those high screens last year.  I'm pretty sure that was the strategy that the coaches wanted.  Our best defense in 3 years was when we played zone in Wojo's first year.  I haven't seen a man to man that has worked yet...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2017, 08:17:05 PM »
Luke hedged on 90%? of those high screens last year.  I'm pretty sure that was the strategy that the coaches wanted.  Our best defense in 3 years was when we played zone in Wojo's first year.  I haven't seen a man to man that has worked yet...

It was the strategy that the coaches settled on given their personnel. Luke had a lot going for him but lateral quickness and rim protection were not his strengths. And to be fair to Luke, some of the problem was at the 4 spot, we had no secondary post player who could protect at the rim when Luke was caught out.

And if you didn't know this, Howard was 17, so he's got a lot to learn around recovery and how to play proper defense. I'm confident he will get it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
I love M2N but he was pretty close to incompetent on defense. Worst ppp allowed on the team and in the 5th percentile of D1iirc. But I do agree that he can definitely improve.
So should we rename him M2G until he can play D.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
the rosterbation never stops

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
It's really hard to say who will start beyond Rowsey and Howard. There's at least four guys who likely will have significant minutes next year and maybe more depending on how off-season work, etc, pans out.

Specifically:

1) We don't know who did what over the summer. Material improvement might change Wojo's mind dramatically.

2) We don't know the effect of the redshirt on Anim.

3) We don't know yet how our freshmen will adapt to the college game.

There's too many "we don't knows." That won't come clear until at least October and maybe not until the team is exhibited in early November.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 09:46:07 AM »
It's really hard to say who will start beyond Rowsey and Howard. There's at least four guys who likely will have significant minutes next year and maybe more depending on how off-season work, etc, pans out.

Specifically:

1) We don't know who did what over the summer. Material improvement might change Wojo's mind dramatically.

There's too many "we don't knows." That won't come clear until at least October and maybe not until the team is exhibited in early November.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »

Specifically:

Hauser will be starting. Sam, Markus, Rowsey for sure.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
I agree with this analysis.

As much as I like the pigmy guards together, it is hard to improve defensively with those 2 in at the same time.  I do see both playing 25-30 minutes, but why not
go a little bigger.  How about Howard, Cheatham, Anim, Hauser and Heldt.    Or instead of Anim or Cheatham, how about Cain?  Or Elliot if he can D it up.   Options
are there, but 2018 with the experience this team gets this year plus adding height with Joey and Ed, it will be interesting.  Did not mention Bailey, as I am still not
sold he will show up and if he does, when will he start practicing with the team.  If he has all summer, then I expect him to get some playing time as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2017, 09:59:52 AM »
You guys do realize this isn't like soccer right?  There are unlimited substitutions and players can come in and out of the game at any time.  Worrying about how a certain line up performs defensively against a theoretical team is strange, because Wojo can adjust at any time. 

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
You guys do realize this isn't like soccer right?  There are unlimited substitutions and players can come in and out of the game at any time.  Worrying about how a certain line up performs defensively against a theoretical team is strange, because Wojo can adjust at any time.

Yep, the best thing going this year is that there starting the year with 10 players, they all will get a chance.  Froling may or may not add anything, but again I see the
following year with 13 players being a little different.  Wojo is not playing 13, that is for sure.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2017, 01:52:02 AM »
last i checked, outscoring the other team was one of the keys to winning the game...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »
I'd rather see some 2nd unit scoring so that means either Froling or Rowsey or (my preference) both off the bench.
PG howard
2 Sacar
3 Sam
4 revolving frosh
5 Heldt

My reaction was; "This guy can't have been a college basketball fan very long."  Sacar?  Revolving frosh at the 4?  (Different) revolving frosh at the 3 is slightly more likely.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback