'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Starters  (Read 16086 times)

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Re: Starters
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
If we get freshman Haani this year, I could see him splitting time with Markus/Rowsey at the guard position.  Creates more of an inside/outside threat.  If we get sophomore Haani, then I agree with TAMU.  I also think we could see John work his way into a starting role, a la Sam last year.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
Um, no.  And who is this Rousey you speak of?
When I am at work I do not always review what I type.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
Haani is our x-factor this year. We need him to demonstrate that his game is - at minimum - as diverse as his freshman year, which consisted of a left-handed layup and corner 3s (though this seems to be Sam's turf now). Anything else is a bonus from Haani at this point in his career.

I fully expect a small step back, and that's ok. Asking Rowsey and Howard to do what they did last year over more minutes and more defensive attention is a lot. They need to play out of this world for us to duplicate or build upon last year. Sam's development can compensate for that too, but a lot has to break right for us to be in position for a tourney bid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
Non-Conference

G: Markus Howard
G: Andrew Rowsey
G: Haanif Cheatham
F: Sam Hauser
C: Matt Heldt

Conference

G: Markus Howard
G: Andrew Rowsey
F: Sam Hauser
F: Theo John
C: Harry Froling

To start the year, very similar to last year. Heldt was already a spot starter while Cheatham steps into the type of role JJ and Reinhardt played. Anim and John first off the bench, with Cain, Elliott, and Eke getting spot minutes.

Once conference play rolls around, I think Theo's shot-blocking and physicality will be a better pairing for Froling. I don't expect much offense from the freshman, but everyone else in that lineup can score. Heldt, Haanif, Anim, and Cain give us a solid bench with Elliott and Eke likely getting even less than they did in non-conference. It wouldn't surprise me if one or both of Elliott and Eke considered a redshirt.

I don't think either redshirt this year.  There simply isn't enough depth IMO.

I can see Eke redshirting next year.  A full year of Froling, Heldt, Morrow and John will take up a great deal of playing time.  Eke can then come in as a sophomore and slide into the "Heldt position," and if he's good enough, get good minutes after Froling and Morrow leave.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 01:15:42 PM »

I don't think either redshirt this year.  There simply isn't enough depth IMO.

I can see Eke redshirting next year.  A full year of Froling, Heldt, Morrow and John will take up a great deal of playing time.  Eke can then come in as a sophomore and slide into the "Heldt position," and if he's good enough, get good minutes after Froling and Morrow leave.

I agree with this analysis.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
Last year MU essentially had four seniors (Wilson was here four years with his redshirt).  This year MU has one and four freshman.

Last year we had two frosh step up into starting/major minute roles.  That usually doesn't happen.

Froling will get major minutes and there is opportunity for the frosh to step up, but hold no expectations of that.

Unless this team learns to play some defense, MU will take step back.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
MU will take a step back this season but I think we still end up in the tournament. Keep in mind that per KenPom we were "underseeded" in the tournament last year.  We finished with KP of 32 meaning we were around 8 seed worthy.  I think we take a step back but end up a 10 or 11 seed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »
Last year MU essentially had four seniors (Wilson was here four years with his redshirt).  This year MU has one and four freshman.

Last year we had two frosh step up into starting/major minute roles.  That usually doesn't happen.

Froling will get major minutes and there is opportunity for the frosh to step up, but hold no expectations of that.

Unless this team learns to play some defense, MU will take step back.

I don't agree with that. Only one of our seniors actually played like a senior. The rest were massive head cases who would either perform or shrivel up into a ball and be useless. The last two (three? Did we have a senior last year? ) senior classes we have had were bad. Plan and simple. I didn't think I could hate anyone more then Derrick but Jujuannnnn and fisher came close at times.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
I don't agree with that. Only one of our seniors actually played like a senior. The rest were massive head cases who would either perform or shrivel up into a ball and be useless. The last two (three? Did we have a senior last year? ) senior classes we have had were bad. Plan and simple. I didn't think I could hate anyone more then Derrick but Jujuannnnn and fisher came close at times.

1) The fact that you hate any of our players is concerning
2) The fact that you put JJJ/Fischer in the same sentence as Derrick is bonkers
TAMU

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
1) The fact that you hate any of our players is concerning
2) The fact that you put JJJ/Fischer in the same sentence as Derrick is bonkers

At times. There was nothing more annoying then watching that guy dribble for 28 seconds with no one even attempting to guard him for 2 years. Juan Anderson comes in a close 2nd.

Followed very distantly by Jujuan. Who would make some freak athletic amazing play that belonged to the globetrotters and then instantly run back and make the dumbest mistake of his life.

The  followed fairly close to Jujuan was hack attack Fischer. I still can perfectly see that foul that allowed DePaul to come to Milwaukee and win.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 03:29:12 PM »
At times. There was nothing more annoying then watching that guy dribble for 28 seconds with no one even attempting to guard him for 2 years. Juan Anderson comes in a close 2nd.

Followed very distantly by Jujuan. Who would make some freak athletic amazing play that belonged to the globetrotters and then instantly run back and make the dumbest mistake of his life.

The  followed fairly close to Jujuan was hack attack Fischer. I still can perfectly see that foul that allowed DePaul to come to Milwaukee and win.

Fischer was immensely frustrating because he should have been so much better than he was. So from that lens, I get this - the expectation gap is different for me with Fischer than it was for someone like Derrick, who had a notably low floor. But to say he shriveled isn't fair. He did not shine as brightly as he should have, but that's different than being useless.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »
I do hope that at the #4 and #5 we get some decent passing, some much improved rebounding, and some solid rim protection.

Still think we'll be able to score.  We've got to defend better to be better.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 08:31:02 PM »
Still think we'll be able to score.  We've got to defend better to be better.

Agreed. When you have shooters like Markus, Rowsey, and Hauser, we're going to hit threes and there are going to be open lanes for others to penetrate and score down low. Losing Luke, JJ, and Reinhardt could hurt the offense, but I still think we'll be able to score.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 06:03:01 AM »
But that lineup really doesn't make us any better than last year unless there is a huge improvement from Hani.
We really need Cain or John to step up as freshman.

I think if Cain or John are much better than expected we can be better than last year, but in general in college I think having the same guys year to year is underrated. We want some new DWade-like savior to come in and instantly elevate, but just having young guys grow up together can be a source of improvement. Especially since Wojo seems better than the previous guy at developing guys from year to year.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 06:47:12 AM »
Haani is our x-factor this year. We need him to demonstrate that his game is - at minimum - as diverse as his freshman year, which consisted of a left-handed layup and corner 3s (though this seems to be Sam's turf now). Anything else is a bonus from Haani at this point in his career.

Cheatham didn't have a diverse game as a freshman. He could drive left and pull up for three. That didn't change last year, but everyone knew what was coming. As a freshman, that was enough because everyone was focused on Henry. As a sophomore, he was one of the focal points and teams realized if you guarded him to the arc and took away his left, he didn't have anything else in the arsenal.

Diversifying his game is key. He needs to be able to go right and he could really use a mid-range pull-up. But if his game goes back to what he showed his freshman year, he'll be even less effective. Everyone has already seen that and the scouting report is in.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
Playing Howard and Rowsey at the same time is not going to be sustainable for long stretches.  We will get destroyed on the perimeter and they will just collect fouls.  I'm really hoping that Cheatham and Sacar (maybe Cain) can be productive and solid defenders to help us there. Sam will play a lot and Heldt / Froling should be at least serviceable in the post.  Theo John should be a good rebounder and defender in spurts.  If we can somehow match our record from last and make the tournament that will be a huge success and credit to Wojo.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
Playing Howard and Rowsey at the same time is not going to be sustrightble for long stretches.  We will get destroyed on the perimeter and they will just collect fouls.  I'm really hoping that Cheatham and Sacar (maybe Cain) can be productive and solid defenders to help us there. Sam will play a lot and Heldt / Froling should be at least serviceable in the post.  Theo John should be a good rebounder and defender in spurts.  If we can somehow match our record from last and make the tournament that will be a huge success and credit to Wojo.

was going to post along these lines with rowsey/howard.  i can see rowsey coming off the bench.  capable of giving and offensive boost, as solid as anyone we have ball handling wise, mature enough to come off the bench to calm down a relatively young team, and we don't have to worry about the foul issues as much.  would think they'd play together more down the stretch of games if fouls aren't an issue.  obviously defensive match-ups and needed size will play a role is well. 

i would expect a step-back this year...next year ncaa...following year doing some work in the ncaa. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
Dodds interviewed Haanie. HC says he's added about 5 pounds of muscle and "his confidence is at an all time high."
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Dodds interviewed Haanie. HC says he's added about 5 pounds of muscle and "his confidence is at an all time high."

...But has he grown a right hand?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »
...But has he grown a right hand?

When asked about what he's working on he talked about shooting and mid range game.  No mention of a right hand
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 04:46:16 PM »
When asked about what he's working on he talked about shooting and mid range game.  No mention of a right hand
Being able to pull up and make a  a mid-range jumper may be more important than developing a right hand.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:21:44 PM by bilsu »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 04:53:27 PM »
any thoughts on yosemite sam at the shooting guard position?  that might create a few match up issues, but otherwise...

markus
          rowsey
          matt
          highway harry

don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
any thoughts on yosemite sam at the shooting guard position?  that might create a few match up issues, but otherwise...

markus
          rowsey
          matt
          highway harry

I think having Markus, Rowsey and Sam worked very well at the end of last year simply by putting so many shooters on the floor.  I don't think they switch that up unless it becomes ineffective.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
I hope Markus can protect the ball better this year. My concern for the upcoming season is that we are a very young team so I promise I will not get too upset if we lose a few we should win. I can see our young rebounders getting into foul trouble.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
any thoughts on yosemite sam at the shooting guard position?  that might create a few match up issues

The biggest matchup issue that would create is Sam trying to keep up with smaller, quicker twos.