[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Starters  (Read 16231 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Starters
« on: July 25, 2017, 06:56:19 PM »
Who do u guys think will start and get most minutes off bench this year

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Starters
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »
I personally see the starters as:

G: Andrew Rowsey
G: Markus Howard
W: Haanif Cheatham
F: Sam Hauser
C: Harry Froling (with Heldt starting the first 9 or whatever games)

I think the backup C (John at first, Heldt once Froling is eligible) will get the most minutes off the bench and basically split time with the starter. After that is anyone's guess. I would hypothesize that Cain, Anim, and John would round out the rotation with Elliott and Eke getting spot minutes. But that is based off very limited viewings of each player and secondhand opinions from those who have seen a little more of them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »

Thanks for the input. Is Morrow eligible this year though

I think the backup C (John at first, Heldt once Froling is eligible) will get the most minutes off the bench and basically split time with the starter. After that is anyone's guess. I would hypothesize that Cain, Anim, and John would round out the rotation with Elliott and Eke getting spot minutes. But that is based off very limited viewings of each player and secondhand opinions from those who have seen a little more of them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
Morrow needs to redshirt per NCAA transfer regulations.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
I share TAMUs thoughts at this time
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »

I was feelin' good about next year til I saw your starting lineup prediction - not that I think you are wrong.

But that lineup really doesn't make us any better than last year unless there is a huge improvement from Hani. Two small guards (albeit great shooters), a guy who played his way to the end of the bench, a guy playing out of position at the '4', and a center who has yet to prove himself at the college level. There is not much chance the defense will be better with that lineup and it could be worse.

We really need Cain or John to step up as freshman.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 07:34:10 PM »
I was feelin' good about next year til I saw your starting lineup prediction - not that I think you are wrong.

But that lineup really doesn't make us any better than last year unless there is a huge improvement from Hani. Two small guards (albeit great shooters), a guy who played his way to the end of the bench, a guy playing out of position at the '4', and a center who has yet to prove himself at the college level. There is not much chance the defense will be better with that lineup and it could be worse.

We really need Cain or John to step up as freshman.
'

I have said this before, but I would not be surprised at a small step back next year.  Unless a couple people play better than I think they will.

And while I think 2018-19 will be very good with Morrow's eligibility and Joey joining, 2019-20 could really be incredible if everyone sticks around.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »
There is actual size coming off the bench.  The starters should be a year better.  Haanif is the wild card.  Second  wild card is how fast the freshmen   if both break in MU's favor, it will be a good year.  If they break poorly, then Sacar and Froling had better be money.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »
I'd rather see some 2nd unit scoring so that means either Froling or Rowsey or (my preference) both off the bench.
PG howard
2 Sacar
3 Sam
4 revolving frosh
5 Heldt

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »
Non-Conference

G: Haanif Cheatham
C: Matt Heldt

Conference

F: Theo John
C: Harry Froling

To start the year, very similar to last year. Heldt was already a spot starter while Cheatham steps into the type of role JJ and Reinhardt played. Anim and John first off the bench, with Cain, Elliott, and Eke getting spot minutes.

Once conference play rolls around, I think Theo's shot-blocking and physicality will be a better pairing for Froling. I don't expect much offense from the freshman, but everyone else in that lineup can score. Heldt, Haanif, Anim, and Cain give us a solid bench with Elliott and Eke likely getting even less than they did in non-conference. It wouldn't surprise me if one or both of Elliott and Eke considered a redshirt.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
'

I have said this before, but I would not be surprised at a small step back next year.  Unless a couple people play better than I think they will.

And while I think 2018-19 will be very good with Morrow's eligibility and Joey joining, 2019-20 could really be incredible if everyone sticks around.

Yes
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »
We'll miss KR and Luke.  But as has been mentioned, big man depth, while perhaps not as talented, might allow us to do a better job of protecting the rim.  We might not be quite the scoring machine we were this past season.  But maybe we can prevent the other guys from scoring just a bit more.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »
I also think the step back is very possible, and while I'm hoping for another NCAA bid, it's not as important as it was last year. There most important thing this year is to develop this roster. Do that, and 2018-19 could be very special.

That said, we should be better defensively, and any team with three shooters like Markus, Sam, and Rowsey should be prolific offensively. I think we can be on the right side of the bubble.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 09:35:08 PM »
Torn between:

Rowsey
Howard
Sacar
Sam
Heldt

and:

Rowsey
Howard
Sam
Theo
Heldt
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 09:57:41 PM »
My prediction is that Rousey starts the whole year, but as the season goes on Elliot will be taking away more and more of his minutes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

Heldt has the physicality and toughness to compete in the Big East and will receive the majority of the center minutes. He is the key to the season.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 10:14:54 PM »
Non con

PG rowsey
Sg Howard
Sf hani
Pf Sam
C heldt

Conference

PG Rowsey
Sg Howard
Sf Sam or Sacar
Pf Sam or theo
C heldt (froling will get more time)

A lot of people forget that Rowsey was the main handler when both were in last year. He will be the pg when both are in
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:16:44 PM by #UnleashRowsey »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 10:17:39 PM »
Torn between:

Rowsey
Howard
Sacar
Sam
Heldt

and:

Rowsey
Howard
Sam
Theo
Heldt

Hey nice list   ;D ;D :D

fjm

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 07:22:09 AM »
I really see the following:

Rowsey
Howard
Hannie
Sam
Heldt/froiling

Also, I think Sacar is a beast, but can some of you explain how you have a kid, who played spot minutes his frosh year and then red shirted is automatically in your starting lineups?

I will admit he may be the first 2 people off the bench (with Theo or Cain) but not sure I've seen enough to see him as an immediate starter.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 07:49:57 AM »
My prediction is that Rousey starts the whole year, but as the season goes on Elliot will be taking away more and more of his minutes.

Um, no.  And who is this Rousey you speak of?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 07:55:05 AM »
I really see the following:

Rowsey
Howard
Hannie
Sam
Heldt/froiling

Also, I think Sacar is a beast, but can some of you explain how you have a kid, who played spot minutes his frosh year and then red shirted is automatically in your starting lineups?

I will admit he may be the first 2 people off the bench (with Theo or Cain) but not sure I've seen enough to see him as an immediate starter.

The truth is, we actually probably only know 3 lock starters at this point.  Sam, Rowsey and Markus.  Heck, half the team we've never seen play. The reality of today's NCAA.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »

Has to be backup quarterback syndrome. We've been hearing for two years about how athletic he is, Reinhardt praised his work ethic and development, and we all have the nostalgic memories of Wade.

Plenty of people were disenchanted with Cheatham last year, so it seems like Anim is the next most "known" quantity.

Honestly, the same could be said about Heldt and Froling. Matty Ice Cream didn't just start ahead of Luke the last 7 games, he also averaged 20.5 mpg. Maybe Froling comes in and takes his spot by January 1, but maybe Heldt continues his development and is our main center all year long.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »
Has to be backup quarterback syndrome. We've been hearing for two years about how athletic he is, Reinhardt praised his work ethic and development, and we all have the nostalgic memories of Wade.

Plenty of people were disenchanted with Cheatham last year, so it seems like Anim is the next most "known" quantity.

Honestly, the same could be said about Heldt and Froling. Matty Ice Cream didn't just start ahead of Luke the last 7 games, he also averaged 20.5 mpg. Maybe Froling comes in and takes his spot by January 1, but maybe Heldt continues his development and is our main center all year long.

Yep.  If Matty can continue his development at anything approaching the same pace he'll never give up that starting spot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »
I just don't know who else starts.  My thought is I'm somewhat comfortable thinking 4 spots will be filled by Sam, Hedlt, Rowsey, and Howard for most of the year.  I wouldn't be shocked if Heldt isn't starting, but surprised.  I wouldn't be surprised if, at some point in the season, Wojo wanted to stagger Rowsey and Howard's minutes as much as possible so at least 1 of them is always on the court.  But for the most part those 4 I see as the most likely to be consistent starters.

That leaves one spot open, with 3 of the 4 spots being locked into "positions."  Rowsey/Howard are your guards, Heldt is your center.  That leaves Sam to play either the "3" or "4."  So I think either Sacar at the 3 or Theo at the 4.  Even when Froling is eligible, I can't see having him and Heldt on the court at the same time.  Until I see otherwise, I just can't imagine MU being able to defend the 4 well with both of them on the court together.  No quickness whatsoever from what I've seen.  I hope I'm wrong.

So that leaves Theo at the "4" with Sam at the "3" and we have very little offense from either the "4" or the "5," or Sacar, Cheatham, or Cain at the "3" with Sam at the 4.  I think Cain has a higher ceiling than Sacar, but is very slender and might get beat up in the BE in his first year at MU.  I just haven't seen enough from Cheatham without an NBA post taking his defender away from him to think he can be an effective starter.  His defense is "fine," but his offense has been largely terrible while at MU.  He's not some smooth player who just hasn't put it all together, everything he does offensively is herky-jerky and just doesn't look like it naturally comes to him.  We'll see how he develops.  I have my doubts that he'll be more than a hustle guy off of the bench (which is totally fine, every team needs those guys, I just don't see him as a BE starting caliber player).  Compare that to Sacar who, in extremely limited minutes and situations, seemed to just have a natural smoothness about him, and we've heard his shot and handling have improved by leaps and bounds and I'm hopeful (while understanding I could be totally wrong in being so) that he can be a solid wing that plays a bit like Trent Lockett.  Good defender, good rebounder, hits some open shots.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:18:29 AM by HausersWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »
We lost Fisher, Reinhardt, JJJ and Wilson from last year's team.  That was a lot of production on a 19-win team.  We won 20 the year before with Ellenson and a weaker schedule.  However, I have optimism for next year and here's why:

Between Fisher, Johnson and Reinhardt, that's around 34 points per game that we are losing.  However, with the progression of Howard, Hauser, and Heldt, I think they collectively make that up.  You still have Rowsey, and I would not be shocked if he is a little better next year too.  Cheatham I think will be better next year because his role won't demand him to be an impact game changer, and he will allow the game to come to him. 

The freshmen, John specifically, will absolutely add a rebounding and toughness element that we were lacking last year.  I really think that Heldt has a breakout year this year.  He showed flashes of being more than capable of replacing Luke last year, and I think he will enter this year with a lot of confidence.  The x factor will be Froling.  There just isn't enough on him at this point to accurately. 

Bottom line, with a more challenging schedule, but with the progression of last year's core, I think we will be around 18/19 wins next year entering the BET. 

feedback