[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Theo is a Bad Man  (Read 12516 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Theo is a Bad Man
« on: July 25, 2017, 04:12:39 PM »
Quote from Big Daddy: "Theo is a bad man on the court." And none other than JFB agrees.

Makes me think I'm going to like Theo a lot. We could stand a little badassedness.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Theo is a Bad Man
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »
Quote from Big Daddy: "Theo is a bad man on the court." And none other than JFB agrees.

Makes me think I'm going to like Theo a lot. We could stand a little badassedness.

I sincerely hope this is correct.  I really do

But, I've been here 10 years and heard similar things about Erik Williams (NBA body, will he leave early for the draft?... I kid you not!).  Jamil Wilson can play all five positions.  Liam McMorrow is a stud.  Mbao is similar to Hasheem Thabeet and on and on.

Meanwhile, the summer before their freshman year we heard little about Butler, Sam Hauser and no one was thinking big things from Markus Howard.

So yes, I want to believe this is true.  But, I'm not holding my breath.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »

But, I've been here 10 years and heard similar things about Erik Williams (NBA body, will he leave early for the draft?... I kid you not!).  Jamil Wilson can play all five positions.  Liam McMorrow is a stud.  Mbao is similar to Hasheem Thabeet and on and on.

Meanwhile, the summer before their freshman year we heard little about Butler, Sam Hauser and no one was thinking big things from Markus Howard.

No one was thinking big things about Markus?

Are you too busy finding sh*t to post on the Superbar that you don't read this here board?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »

As far as Butler, we didn't hear anything about his freshman year because he was at Tyler Junior College.

As far as Markus, Jay Bee posted this in April of 2016:

In all seriousness, Markus could have an enormous impact. His profile doesn't suggest there's a strong likelihood of him having a "normal freshman" year. He's legit.

I don't mean this in the wrong way, but when you look at Henry's usage of 26%.. Markus can be there. When you look at Henry's ORtg of 103, Markus has the *ability* to obliterate it. Such an important addition to the program.

More than anything from returns like JjJ, Duane, Haanif, etc.. I want to see consistency. High-level, strong play, yes. But consistency. JjJ displayed it late in the year. Need to see it from the others (and him again).

But, Markus.. wooooweeeee...
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »

No one was thinking big things about Markus?

Are you too busy finding sh*t to post on the Superbar that you don't read this here board?

Last July we were thinking he was one of the best point guards in the country his freshman year.

Yeah, I missed those threads.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
As far as Butler, we didn't hear anything about his freshman year because he was at Tyler Junior College.

As far as Markus, Jay Bee posted this in April of 2016:

Don't remember Jay Bee's post.  Great call.  Should be the post of 2016!

Brew, you appear to be defending all the predictions about MU players here in the middle of the summer.  That is what I'm talking about.  I really want the Theo comments to be true, but I'm not holding my breath.  History around here suggests I should hold my breath.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:37:47 PM »

The summer before Butler's first year at MU, we were gushing about Joe Fulce and hoped Butler (the "other guy" that committed with Fulce) would be an able practice body.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
Nothing against JB, but Markus was a top 35 recruit in his original class, played for team USA, and put up outrageous numbers at Findlay Prep. I think it was pretty obvious to most people he was going to be a high impact player from the get-go.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
The summer before Butler's first year at MU, we were gushing about Joe Fulce and hoped Butler (the "other guy" that committed with Fulce) would be an able practice body.

In our defense, JFB did turn out to be very capable in practice.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »

Erik Williams and Mbao....legit. Those predictions didn't come true. Though as Wades brought up the other day, Thon Maker might secretly be Yous Mbao.

But I'm pretty sure Jamil Wilson did play all 5 positions at one point or another during his career here. Liam McMorrow gets an asterisk since he had a heart condition.

You must not have been paying attention because expectations were sky high for Markus. The #markus2NBA meme was born before he ever step foot on campus. You're right about Sam and Butler, very muted expectations there.

Nitpicking aside, you are correct. Predictions on this site run the gambit from outrageous to dead on. I will say the fact that this particular comment gives more hope than others because it came from an NBA All Star. I trust Jimmy's sense of who a "bad man on the court" is more than I do us dweebs on the internet.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »

To be fair to Fulce, we'll never know what he could've been if he hadn't destroyed his knees.

As far as defending the predictions, what predictions? I'm hoping John can add some defense but expect Heldt and Froling to be our main bigs. I expect very little out of Elliott and Eke. Cain, any contribution would be nice, but Cheatham, Hauser, and Anim will take most of those minutes.

Now next year I expect Joey to hit the ground running, but I expect more from returning players this year than freshmen.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »
I don't believe anything on Scoop after that one guy predicted the demise of the stock market and said don't buy Apple.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
Don't remember Jay Bee's post.  Great call.  Should be the post of 2016!

Brew, you appear to be defending all the predictions about MU players here in the middle of the summer.  That is what I'm talking about.  I really want the Theo comments to be true, but I'm not holding my breath.  History around here suggests I should hold my breath.
nearly every player is supposed to be a stud.  pointing out those that didn't meet expectations and saying it could be happen to theo is no different than pointing to those that did go on to have big time careers...and stating that could happen to theo.  odds say he won't be the next JFB, but i don't think anyone is saying that.  if JFB sees toughness in theo...i'm glad to hear it.  that's all. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »
I don't believe anything on Scoop after that one guy predicted the demise of the stock market and said don't buy Apple.
in fairness...i heard he bought mcdonalds...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 05:05:15 PM »
Nothing against JB, but Markus was a top 35 recruit in his original class, played for team USA, and put up outrageous numbers at Findlay Prep. I think it was pretty obvious to most people he was going to be a high impact player from the get-go.

He was #71 in the 2016 RSCI, small, reclassified after 3 years of HS, ZERO of his Team USA 17U teammates played college basketball last season, didn't put up "outrageous numbers" at Findlay, SI/Luke Winn's Marquette player projections didn't even acknowledge him.

You're re-writing history and it's a lie!

Nonetheless, when people comment that Theo is a bad man, they're likely referring to what's been explained long ago -- physically he's a specimen who gives MU an inside physical preference that has been missing for a long time, NOT that he will put up insane numbers and earn awards for being the best in the NCAA in a statistical category.

Be patient. Appreciate that he is a bad, nasty man... enjoy the physicality, toughness, rebounding, blocks/alters and occasionally jams off put backs & dump offs.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »
Agreed.  Theo John's contribution is going to be as a physical presence.   No idea what his numbers will be.  He may not make an actual offensive move this season, scoring only off of dump offs and put backs.  And if he is a physical presence defensively and on the boards, I am OK with that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 05:52:47 PM »
Agreed.  Theo John's contribution is going to be as a physical presence.   No idea what his numbers will be.  He may not make an actual offensive move this season, scoring only off of dump offs and put backs.  And if he is a physical presence defensively and on the boards, I am OK with that.

He may hit a hook shot and/or 14 foot baseline jumper in a game early on in the season and people will flip out.... proclaiming he's way better than Luke offensively :/

Heck, last season several games in there was a healthy contingent of folks who believed Traci needed many more minutes and strongly preferred him to Markus. That's the true history.

Eventually, the truth shall be revealed to those who don't want to accept it today.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
I don't think we are disagreeing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
I don't think we are disagreeing.

No, no definitely not you & I. Just saying fans will likely react that way at some point early in the year. I think your perspective makes complete & rationale sense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »
Anyone have a clip of Theo destroying Tre Jones' layup in the Minnesota championship game? That's when I knew he was a bad man.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 07:03:37 PM »
Not Tre, but...

https://twitter.com/jbbauer612/status/845823775220416513

Thanks. I wish I could find the one of him demolishing Tre. Thought I had posted it to my twitter but can't find it. It was a man size block.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 10:15:26 PM »
I have long been in the pro Theo Camp. The kid has an incredible work ethic. Looking for a very productive career at MU for him.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

fjm

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »
I have long been in the pro Theo Camp. The kid has an incredible work ethic. Looking for a very productive career at MU for him.

Yeah man, I think he'll be very solid. Here's hoping he's a rebounding machine this year and one of the first 2 or 3 off the bench.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:47 AM »
Not Tre, but...

https://twitter.com/jbbauer612/status/845823775220416513

First thing noticed in this clip is he kept the ball in play after the block instead of swatting it out of bounds.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

feedback