[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ed Morrow is really good at rebounding  (Read 5801 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Ed Morrow is really good at rebounding
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:11 AM »
According to KenPom, last season Ed Morrow ranked 29th nationally (out of 2,163 eligible players) in offensive rebounding percentage at 14.3%.

He also finished in the 90th percentile for defensive rebounding percentage (20.6%) and block percentage (5.0%). His DR% isn't quite at Henry Ellenson's level, but both stats would have ranked among the top 5 in the Big East.

If he posted those numbers for Marquette in 2016-17, he would have led the team in both categories. So to anyone clamoring for rebounding, have just a little more patience. The cavalry is coming.

In the meantime, hopefully Ed works on taking better care of the ball (a less than impressive 20.6% TO percentage) and teaches our young front court players a thing or two about how to assert your will in the paint.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ed Morrow is really good at rebounding
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
He turned it over at a Chris Otule type rate last year, but it was improved from the year before. Not everyone is Davante Gardner or Jae Crowder in the post, but hopefully he uses his year to improve that hand strength and receiving ability. I'm hoping some of it has to do with him being miscast as a center. Backing guys down and catching balls in traffic are both turnover opportunities, and if he's spending more of his time as a face-up guy from 18' and in, it could help in both regards.

But it's also worth looking at someone like Luke. He had a 19.5% turnover rate as a sophomore and improved it each season to the point where his 13.6% as a senior was top-400 in the country. Watching Luke and Matt both improve steadily, as well as the acclimation Henry had in his one year here, I have confidence in this staff developing bigs. I expect Morrow will be greatly improved by the time he is wearing Blue and Gold.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
My only concern with Morrow is the expectation gap that seems to exist in terms of the role he'd like to play (spotting up) and where his skillset seems to reside.

May those of you who have watched him more at Neb (or in HS) can opine - he doesn't seem like someone whose strength is away from the basket.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
He turned it over at a Chris Otule type rate last year, but it was improved from the year before. Not everyone is Davante Gardner or Jae Crowder in the post, but hopefully he uses his year to improve that hand strength and receiving ability. I'm hoping some of it has to do with him being miscast as a center. Backing guys down and catching balls in traffic are both turnover opportunities, and if he's spending more of his time as a face-up guy from 18' and in, it could help in both regards.

But it's also worth looking at someone like Luke. He had a 19.5% turnover rate as a sophomore and improved it each season to the point where his 13.6% as a senior was top-400 in the country. Watching Luke and Matt both improve steadily, as well as the acclimation Henry had in his one year here, I have confidence in this staff developing bigs. I expect Morrow will be greatly improved by the time he is wearing Blue and Gold.

All great points. Even small details can make a big difference. Example: Keeping the ball high when you receive a pass in the post — instead of bringing it down and giving sagging defenders a chance to swipe at it for a steal. Eliminate a turnover, protect a possession, give your team a chance to put points on the board.

Seems really simple. But good, smart post play is a lot tougher than it looks. Coaching and experience are all-important for college big men.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muguru

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
His rebounding ability is why I wanted him at MU so badly. The kid eats glass..and he will bring a much needed skillset to MU.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »
My only concern with Morrow is the expectation gap that seems to exist in terms of the role he'd like to play (spotting up) and where his skillset seems to reside.

May those of you who have watched him more at Neb (or in HS) can opine - he doesn't seem like someone whose strength is away from the basket.

Agreed, but maybe he's going to use his entire year off to work on those things, to add them as an extra wrinkle to his game rather than a focal point. That's my hope anyway.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »

Agreed.  MU finally has a true PF who can rebound and defend the glass, and can put some points on the board.  Let's hope that Wojo sold him on that and that's Ed's expectation.

Regarding Brewcity's point about turnovers, one other factor to consider is that he was the focal point of Nebraska's offense last year as an undersized center.  Having more offensive talent around him and playing with a true center should take the defensive pressure he's accustomed to down a notch.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »

I think the truth will be somewhere in between, but in his first two years, it seems like the 6'7" Morrow spent most of his time playing center. As a freshman it was maybe somewhat understandable with a very good player in Andrew White at the 3 and a proven senior in Shavon Shields at the 4, but last year I'm sure he expected that would change. Instead he continued to rotate at the 5 despite being the fifth tallest guy on the team.

As long as the staff is up front with Morrow, I expect things will be fine. I think he'll still be expected to do some banging, but will also be able to float away from the hoop since we'll have Heldt, John, Eke, and Froling all to play with him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »
Agreed.  MU finally has a true PF who can rebound and defend the glass, and can put some points on the board.  Let's hope that Wojo sold him on that and that's Ed's expectation.

Regarding Brewcity's point about turnovers, one other factor to consider is that he was the focal point of Nebraska's offense last year as an undersized center.  Having more offensive talent around him and playing with a true center should take the defensive pressure he's accustomed to down a notch.

Not accurate. Watson and Webster were the focal points of their offense. Their poor 3pt shooting as a team made the lane constantly clogged, but Morrow battled down there for everything he got. I don't see Morrow ever being a force on offense except through putbacks. Hope he proves me wrong.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
Not accurate. Watson and Webster were the focal points of their offense. Their poor 3pt shooting as a team made the lane constantly clogged, but Morrow battled down there for everything he got. I don't see Morrow ever being a force on offense except through putbacks. Hope he proves me wrong.
He will not need to a force on the offense as we have other players that can score. That alone should cut down on his turnovers. No need for Morrow to be forcing shots.

wade_county37

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 04:08:11 AM »
 ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
Bumping this as I watch Butler vs. Providence today.

I have not seen Morrow play, but from the way others talk about him, it sounds like he is fairly similar to Butler's Tyler Wideman. Statistically, Morrow's sophomore season at Nebraska (9.4 pts, 7.5 reb, 3.2 OR, .514 FG) is similar to Wideman's senior season at Butler (9.6 pts, 5.2 reb, 2.3 OR, .695 FG). Wideman thoroughly dominated us twice this season, especially the game in Milwaukee.

For those who have seen Morrow, is that fairly accurate? If so, we sure could use Wideman-type toughness and rebounding next season. Maybe Morrow is a little more offensively developed while still being tough inside?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
Bumping this as I watch Butler vs. Providence today.

I have not seen Morrow play, but from the way others talk about him, it sounds like he is fairly similar to Butler's Tyler Wideman. Statistically, Morrow's sophomore season at Nebraska (9.4 pts, 7.5 reb, 3.2 OR, .514 FG) is similar to Wideman's senior season at Butler (9.6 pts, 5.2 reb, 2.3 OR, .695 FG). Wideman thoroughly dominated us twice this season, especially the game in Milwaukee.

For those who have seen Morrow, is that fairly accurate? If so, we sure could use Wideman-type toughness and rebounding next season. Maybe Morrow is a little more offensively developed while still being tough inside?

I don’t think it’s a great comp. Morrow is considerably more offensively gifted than Wideman. Toughness and rebounding? Yes...but Morrow is a fairly polished offensive player in the paint and has a lot more athleticism.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »
I don’t think it’s a great comp. Morrow is considerably more offensively gifted than Wideman. Toughness and rebounding? Yes...but Morrow is a fairly polished offensive player in the paint and has a lot more athleticism.

Angel Delgado?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
Angel Delgado?

Nah. I’m not great at comps but more like Jae without the three pointer.

Jalen Reynolds from X with maybe a bit more offense is best I can come up with off the top of my head.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 06:55:31 PM »
Thanks JJJJJJJJJJJ.

I hope you're right about Jae without the 3s!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »
IMO, this kid will be a major reason for expectations being met or not. MU needs an athletic banger and hopefully he can fill the bill. I am probably excited about him than any of three freshmen. Hopefully he will hit the ground running.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 08:27:55 PM »
IMO, this kid will be a major reason for expectations being met or not. MU needs an athletic banger and hopefully he can fill the bill. I am probably excited about him than any of three freshmen. Hopefully he will hit the ground running.

Rightfully so. Ed is going to be one of our best three players from the get go.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 09:08:51 PM »
Rightfully so. Ed is going to be one of our best three players from the get go.
what are our expectations