[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 26311 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Scholarships
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
That wouldn't free a scholarship if that is what you're implying

Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »
It's very simple.  We have one player ending eligibility (Rowsey) and one scholarship carried over from this year since we only have 12 under scholarship in 2017-18.  Therefore two new are available for next year.  Joey and Bailey are supposed to take those scholarships.

The only way that additional scholarships can be freed up is if someone currently under scholarship transfers, or if an incoming recruit doesn't show up.

I put the chances at about 75% that a scholarship will become available.  Not because I know anything, but because of history.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
It's very simple.  We have one player ending eligibility (Rowsey) and one scholarship carried over from this year since we only have 12 under scholarship in 2017-18.  Therefore two new are available for next year.  Joey and Bailey are supposed to take those scholarships.

The only way that additional scholarships can be freed up is if someone currently under scholarship transfers, or if an incoming recruit doesn't show up.

I put the chances at about 75% that a scholarship will become available.  Not because I know anything, but because of history.

Exactly.  And speculating on who that may be is a useless exercise 8-10 months in advance.  All these guys think they deserve big minutes on high major programs.  If they didn't, they wouldn't be at MU and they wouldn't be as good as they are.

Minutes have to around to 11 guys this year.  Chances are at least 1 dude thinks he should be playing more, and will transfer, giving us an opening.  Its the way of college hoops these days.  Now, lets let the next season play out before we worry about that. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
Exactly.  And speculating on who that may be is a useless exercise 8-10 months in advance.  All these guys think they deserve big minutes on high major programs.  If they didn't, they wouldn't be at MU and they wouldn't be as good as they are.

Minutes have to around to 11 guys this year.  Chances are at least 1 dude thinks he should be playing more, and will transfer, giving us an opening.  Its the way of college hoops these days.  Now, lets let the next season play out before we worry about that.

Exactly. Wisconsin had one available in 2015 but wanted a PG.  So they ignored Sam Hauser.  At semester Riley Dearring left.  And now the rest is history.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
Even 4-5 months could be the timeframe. Marquette announced that Sandy Cohen asked to be released from his scholarship on November 20th.

Personally, I like our roster and would hate to see anyone go. But it could be that one of our 2017 recruits (Jamal, Theo, Greg or Ike) isn't happy with the playing time he gets. Or a family situation comes up for someone. You never know. Most of all, Wojo and his staff are always looking for talent that can make the team better.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
Wojo has said he wants to make MU into a year to year contending program and the way of doing it is to improve year after year. Not being complacent with what he has.
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »

If Q Grimes wants to come to MU, I put the chances of a scholarship becoming available at 100%.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
I'm on a cruise  visiting my neighbors. I'm St. Lucia today if I stop making sense too many Guinness Stout, in my book not a bad thing, hey?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:32:54 PM by News-Joey dreams MU »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

The only ones I feel certain will be here fore 2018-19 are Markus, Sam and Joey...Sacar and Froling are also fairly certain as they have both taken a redshirt or transferred (slim chance Froling goes back to australia for pro-ball). 

The rest are almost completely unknowns and lots of things can happen.  Keep recruiting.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
If Q Grimes wants to come to MU, I put the chances of a scholarship becoming available at 100%.
I agree with this analysis

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »
I'm on a cruise  visiting my neighbors. I'm St. Lucia today if I stop making sense too many Guinness Stout, in my book not a bad thing, hey?

St. Lucia is quite possibly my least favorite Caribbean Island, but I hope you have a good time!  And why aren't you drinking Carib?
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 01:21:54 PM »
St. Lucia is quite possibly my least favorite Caribbean Island, but I hope you have a good time!  And why aren't you drinking Carib?

Just so you know newsy, chick loves PR.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »
Just so you know newsy, chick loves PR.

Except, what's the deal with all the freakin' cats everywhere?
Have some patience, FFS.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
There will be an open scholly next year because Bailey will never set foot on campus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »
There will be an open scholly next year because Bailey will never set foot on campus.

Your basis?  Gut?  Evidence?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »
Your basis?  Gut?  Evidence?

Gut, understanding human nature, and that a lot can happen in two years in college hoops.

Two years since recruited and currently in a personally transforming experience.

The team will have needs other than his position and a player that fills those needs may be available.

While more physically mature as a result, his focus hasn't been on basketball.

Look at the schollie table and who will be on the team when Bailey is scheduled to show up.

I don't see Heldt and Cheatham leaving for their senior year.

This year's sophomores are not going to transfer after this season. 
Morrow and Froling--Transferred in
Anim--already redshirted, loses eligibility if leaves
Hauser -- Joey showing up
Howard -- Wojo has bigger problems if this happens.

That leaves one of the four from Eke, John, Cain and Elliott to transfer out.   Reasonable chance of that, but that chance is just as reasonable as Bailey wanting out or Wojo finding a different player.

When does Phillip Flory show up on campus?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:30:44 PM by Badgerhater »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »
Not the same thing. Bailey signed an LOI and also has a dad who is a former NBA star, as well as an inspirational speaker who preaches the necessity of honoring your commitments. I think it would take a lot for Bailey to alter his course.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 04:10:53 PM »
Not the same thing. Bailey signed an LOI and also has a dad who is a former NBA star, as well as an inspirational speaker who preaches the necessity of honoring your commitments. I think it would take a lot for Bailey to alter his course.

The only potential issue could be if Stan leaves for another gig. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »
Gut, understanding human nature, and that a lot can happen in two years in college hoops.

Two years since recruited and currently in a personally transforming experience.

The team will have needs other than his position and a player that fills those needs may be available.

While more physically mature as a result, his focus hasn't been on basketball.

Look at the schollie table and who will be on the team when Bailey is scheduled to show up.

I don't see Heldt and Cheatham leaving for their senior year.

This year's sophomores are not going to transfer after this season. 
Morrow and Froling--Transferred in
Anim--already redshirted, loses eligibility if leaves
Hauser -- Joey showing up
Howard -- Wojo has bigger problems if this happens.

That leaves one of the four from Eke, John, Cain and Elliott to transfer out.   Reasonable chance of that, but that chance is just as reasonable as Bailey wanting out or Wojo finding a different player.

When does Phillip Flory show up on campus?
Bailey is going to be a fantastic player for us.  Looking forward to his arrival.

The only potential fly in the ointment would be if he found a future Mrs. Bailey and she didn't want to go to Milwaukee ( this has happened before on missions) . Possible but low probability.

I think there is more of a probability of Mr. Froling going pro in Australia than Bailey not honoring commitment. Froling evaluated those alternatives before heading here.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 04:35:15 PM »
BYU, Utah, and Utah State have been relying on LDS players for decades. They don't have anymore issues with keeping their commits than any other school. I wouldn't be surprised to learn if they have even less issues with honoring commitments than other schools. And while I'm sure there are single digit examples,  I cant think of any LDS athlete who backed out of a commitment because he met his spouse on his mission. In fact,  you arent supposed to be dating at all if you are doing the mission correctly.

As Sultan said,  I'd only get nervous if Stan took an HC job somewhere.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »
I think there is more of a probability of Mr. Froling going pro in Australia than Bailey not honoring commitment. Froling evaluated those alternatives before heading here.

I don't think Harry is looking at going pro back home, but I wouldn't rule out him exploring his options.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2017, 06:10:39 PM »
The only job Stan is leaving for is a Duke. And I think Coach K has another 4-5 years in him.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »
Under certain circumstances, aren't you allowed to oversign by 1?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
Under certain circumstances, aren't you allowed to oversign by 1?
A school can oversign but it is a very slippery slope, because ultimately the coach has to get someone on the team  to go to walk on status or take a medical disqualification to be in compliance.

Pitino, Howland , Buzz with the Newbill case and others  etc have gotten into some sticky situations because of this practice.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »

I get your point, but technically there are more ways a scholarship could open.  A player goes pro early, suffer a career ending injury, decide to not play basketball anymore, drops out of school completely, or doesn't have his scholarship renewed by the school. 

feedback