[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jamil to NBA?  (Read 11641 times)

MuMark

• All American

KampusFoods

• All American
Re: Jamil to NBA?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
Happy for that guy. Has all the tools and is finally putting them together. Was hoping to see him play in TBT though.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:48:13 AM »
Jamil definitely always had the raw ability. Great to see him putting it all together.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »
We'll see what happens, most likely his agent trying to get the process moving like Buycks agent. Really no reason for a team to leak they are interested in a guy, also no reason for an agent to leak something unless there really isn't anything and they are trying to drum up a sense of urgency for other teams. All these NBA "writers" outside of a couple at the top are just conduits to promote agents agendas. If he doesn't play this weekend then that would be a sign things are moving along I'd think.

Hoping for him or Buycks to get a run, another guy in the NBA > TBT championship for the program IMO.

Kyler did mention the possibility that it might be a two-way contract. Not sure you hang a banner for that.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:27:45 AM by dw3dw3dw3 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
Jamil definitely always had the raw ability. Great to see him putting it all together.
I always thought so. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
Looked like Tarzan
Played like Jane
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »
Goody he didn't look like Jane, doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »

Jamil is not quick, he's not a great shooter and he can't create his own shot. I like Jamil a lot but he's the type of guy who "looks the part" because he's a long 6'7" guy who can jump so fans tend to overrate his abilities (especially at a program that featured similar-sized players in Hayward, Butler and Crowder). He never had the ability to be "the man" on his team, which isn't a knock on him. He was a nice third option and, at best, he has the potential to be a 10th man version of 3-and-D guy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »
Jamil is not quick, he's not a great shooter and he can't create his own shot. I like Jamil a lot but he's the type of guy who "looks the part" because he's a long 6'7" guy who can jump so fans tend to overrate his abilities (especially at a program that featured similar-sized players in Hayward, Butler and Crowder). He never had the ability to be "the man" on his team, which isn't a knock on him. He was a nice third option and, at best, he has the potential to be a 10th man version of 3-and-D guy.

For me, Jamil's problem was always consistency. Whether it was that he simply wasn't good enough to consistently deliver (indicating fans overrated his ability) or that he didn't have the personality or tenacity to consistently take over (indicating the ability was there but untapped) I'm not sure.

He certainly showed all the qualities you'd like at moments, but not enough moments to ever be what many of us thought he could be.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
If you can judge anything from SL his shooting has improved.......a lot.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
I'm certainly not the first one to say this, but Jamil's issues were more mental than physical.  He simply didn't play with an edge very often, but the few times he would really stand out.  Didn't Buzz have a quote along the lines of Jamil being too nice or thoughtful?

I think if he consistently played with that edge/focus/intensity/passion/desire -- whatever you want to call it-- he could play in the NBA.  But does someone change how they fund mentally play at his age?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »
I'm certainly not the first one to say this, but Jamil's issues were more mental than physical.  He simply didn't play with an edge very often, but the few times he would really stand out.  Didn't Buzz have a quote along the lines of Jamil being too nice or thoughtful?

I think if he consistently played with that edge/focus/intensity/passion/desire -- whatever you want to call it-- he could play in the NBA.  But does someone change how they fund mentally play at his age?

I think Merritt's is more right than you are. I don't think it was a mental issue. I think his physical attributes were overrated. Not particularly quick or explosive.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »
I agree with TSmith.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
That's fantastic.  Good money for Jamil.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
For me, Jamil's problem was always consistency. Whether it was that he simply wasn't good enough to consistently deliver (indicating fans overrated his ability) or that he didn't have the personality or tenacity to consistently take over (indicating the ability was there but untapped) I'm not sure.

He certainly showed all the qualities you'd like at moments, but not enough moments to ever be what many of us thought he could be.

Yeah I think it was mostly mental. He didn't seem to have that killer instinct. Some guys just don't have it. Not everyone can be a Jimmy or Jae.

I had friends who were not MU fans but would catch some games or parts of them during Jamils last two years. He was always the one that stood out to them as our best player in limited viewing.

He looked the part. But if you watched long enough you'd see what we all saw.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 07:52:22 PM »
Wow, that's great for Jamil. His two contested 3-pointers in that magical final minute against Davidson forever endeared him to this cat.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 08:13:30 PM »
always liked the way he moved, had an NBA ready body.  now that it's his full time job and doesn't have an 18 credit class schedule to worry about... ::)
don't...don't don't don't don't

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 06:36:11 AM »
Wow, that's great for Jamil. His two contested 3-pointers in that magical final minute against Davidson forever endeared him to this cat.
+1. I'll always be thankful to JW for that.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »
Lazy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »
Not lazy.    Not the forceful dynamic leader that Vander, Jae, JFB, Amigos were.   

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
For Jamil, it was ALWAYS a matter of fans overrating his skills. It was never about lacking heart or desire or a killer instinct or passion or intensity or whatever you want to call it. Fans just need something to point to because saying, "He's just not as good as I thought" doesn't cut it for them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »
For Jamil, it was ALWAYS a matter of fans overrating his skills. It was never about lacking heart or desire or a killer instinct or passion or intensity or whatever you want to call it. Fans just need something to point to because saying, "He's just not as good as I thought" doesn't cut it for them.

I generally agree with this. I do think that, most of the time, he wasn't willing to "go for it" and was willing to defer to others who might not have been as talented as he was. But I've always thought that for someone who seemed, on the surface, to be "athletic," he really lacked "basketball quickness."

Not an NBA player. Of course, I thought the same about Buycks; I was stunned when he got even 5 minutes in the league.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »
I generally agree with this. I do think that, most of the time, he wasn't willing to "go for it" and was willing to defer to others who might not have been as talented as he was. But I've always thought that for someone who seemed, on the surface, to be "athletic," he really lacked "basketball quickness."

Not an NBA player. Of course, I thought the same about Buycks; I was stunned when he got even 5 minutes in the league.

Buycks has just gotten better and better as a player.  Was one of those guys that didnt hit his potential at20-21 but 23-24 kinda thing imo.

On wilson, im not sure anyone ever overestimted his skills.  I think it was more like , " yikes with athleticism like that and that god given body if he lived in the gym n played with more hunger he could be all everything". Wilson always seemed like a great kid blessed with supreme athleticism that just never really bled to be great.  Travis dieners will in jamil wilsons body is where super stars come from
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.