[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just watched the video...  (Read 7019 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Just watched the video...
« on: July 04, 2017, 11:33:19 PM »
Crean states Dwyane Wade wasnt in the Top 500 player rankings going into his Senior year of HS.  The guy is suuuuch a freacking AHole!!!
Also, went on to say MU was on a 33 game winning streak.  Where is the banner?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:36:39 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Re: Just watched the video...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:37:01 AM »
Those two guys made a ton off money off each other. Bill Cords told me himself Dwade would not have become the player he was without Crean. (Had a brief chat with him at an MU event once.) My point: I wouldn't put too much weight into one comment.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 06:30:13 AM »
Crean states Dwyane Wade wasnt in the Top 500 player rankings going into his Senior year of HS.  The guy is suuuuch a freacking AHole!!!
Also, went on to say MU was on a 33 game winning streak.  Where is the banner?

IIRC, Wade played center in HS.  He was a late developer who didn't start until his junior year. Having a solid junior year may have been offset by the fact that he was a just over six foot center when rankings came out.

From biography.com:

"Although he initially found more success as a wide receiver on the football team, Wade worked hard to earn regular time on the varsity basketball court during his junior year. After improving his ball-handling skills and outside game, as well as shooting up by nearly four inches—to more than 6 feet tall—Wade emerged as the basketball team's new star. During his junior year, he averaged 20.7 points and 7.6 rebounds per game, making a name for himself throughout Chicago. His success continued into his senior year—at that time, he was averaging 27 points and 11 rebounds per game. However, due to his poor grades, he was only recruited by three college basketball programs."
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »
The 33 game winning streak was on our home court, as I recall. At the time I'm pretty sure it was longest in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »
Those two guys made a ton off money off each other. Bill Cords told me himself Dwade would not have become the player he was without Crean. (Had a brief chat with him at an MU event once.) My point: I wouldn't put too much weight into one comment.

When Wade arrived on campus he was immediately the top player enrolled at Marquette. In his "sit out" year he wowed Buck's players in pick up games and dominated senior Brian Wardle in practice. He was always going to get his. Crean was along for the ride.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »
When Wade arrived on campus he was immediately the top player enrolled at Marquette. In his "sit out" year he wowed Buck's players in pick up games and dominated senior Brian Wardle in practice. He was always going to get his. Crean was along for the ride.

Crean has always painted himself as the master developer, that he took a non top 100 kid, now accirding to Crean, its a non top 500 kid n made him an all nba HOF player.  He built his career on it n it has been the  backbone of any discussion he has ever had with any recruit and administrator. 

The reality is all coaches werk hard all coaches push their kids.  Winning n losing in the college game ends up being mostly coaching mental approach n 98% recruiting. Its a simple game only so much can be done and not many basketball revolutionary developments taking place.  Crean hiwever likes to paint himself as a revolutionary, its why peer coaches mock him as Tommy Naismith.  ( he thinks he invented the game n what hes doing is revolutionary).
Great coaches realize they dont make players.  Al called them "cradles". They were born great, god given ability, great drive etc. 
God bless Crean he rode that narrative to a decade and a half of great pay checks.   
However, i think after Wade left between MU and IU he made the ncaa tournament less than half of the time.  Its a shame he could not werk his revolutionary magic in those followup years.  He was in fact a very very poor game coach.  A far poorer coach than oneil and deane.  Deanes issue was poor recruiting, when he had oneils talent he was really realky good.  Oneil was a far better coach and a better recruiter imo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
Crean has always painted himself as the master developer, that he took a non top 100 kid, now accirding to Crean, its a non top 500 kid n made him an all nba HOF player.  He built his career on it n it has been the  backbone of any discussion he has ever had with any recruit and administrator. 

The reality is all coaches werk hard all coaches push their kids.  Winning n losing in the college game ends up being mostly coaching mental approach n 98% recruiting. Its a simple game only so much can be done and not many basketball revolutionary developments taking place.  Crean hiwever likes to paint himself as a revolutionary, its why peer coaches mock him as Tommy Naismith.  ( he thinks he invented the game n what hes doing is revolutionary).
Great coaches realize they dont make players.  Al called them "cradles". They were born great, god given ability, great drive etc. 
God bless Crean he rode that narrative to a decade and a half of great pay checks.   
However, i think after Wade left between MU and IU he made the ncaa tournament less than half of the time.  Its a shame he could not werk his revolutionary magic in those followup years.  He was in fact a very very poor game coach.  A far poorer coach than oneil and deane.  Deanes issue was poor recruiting, when he had oneils talent he was really realky good.  Oneil was a far better coach and a better recruiter imo.

You would be a terrible recruiter. I can imagine your pitch "Wade had the talent all along. I did absolutely nothing, want to take a chance on me and see if I can do absolutely nothing for you as well?"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
You would be a terrible recruiter. I can imagine your pitch "Wade had the talent all along. I did absolutely nothing, want to take a chance on me and see if I can do absolutely nothing for you as well?"

Selling something to 16 year olds and selling the same things to professional adults are two wholly different things.  And he is mocked because he believes it.  Im sorry this is lost on you, do u offer candy and puppy dogs to adults as well?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:11:34 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
Selling something to 16 year olds and selling the same things to professional adults are two wholly different things.  Im sorry this is lost on you, do u offer candy and puppy dogs to adults as well?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
Selling something to 16 year olds and selling the same things to professional adults are two wholly different things.  Im sorry this is lost on you, do u offer candy and puppy dogs to adults as well?

If I had a brand as big as crean's I'd harp on that topic no matter who was listening. Now as far as candy and puppies I know very few adults who would turn that down.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 01:15:24 PM »

You neglect to mention that when Wade, ODB, Sanders and Merritt signed Wade was the lowest rated of the four.  Merritt was the "prize" as he was local and we beat out Pitt and other high major programs for him. I believe we beat out UVA for Sanders, Notre Dame for ODB, Illinois State and Bradley for Wade. He wasn't even ranked until the 90 point day during a holiday tournament double header.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »

However, i think after Wade left between MU and IU he made the ncaa tournament less than half of the time.  Its a shame he could not werk his revolutionary magic in those followup years.

2004 - NIT Quarterfinals (lost to Iowa State at Hilton). Had injury issues that year
2005 - NIT (Was NCAA bound until Diener got injured)
2006 - NCAA
2007 - NCAA (lost Jerel for the season right before the Pitt game on NMD)
2008 - NCAA

2009 - left loaded roster for Buzz

Your thought (along with your ridiculously poor grammar) is incorrect

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »
The 33 game winning streak was on our home court, as I recall. At the time I'm pretty sure it was longest in the country.

It all fell apart when we lost to Vandy by ~4,000 points. Never seen a crowd go from that hyped to so demoralized so quickly.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:20:32 PM »
It all fell apart when we lost to Vandy by ~4,000 points. Never seen a crowd go from that hyped to so demoralized so quickly.

One of my friends fell asleep while sitting in the stands during that game. Total ass kicking
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 02:31:32 PM »

The streak Crean was talking about was when Wade was here and we lost to Louisville in the Final Four year. It was the only home game we lost with Wade.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 02:58:41 PM »
You neglect to mention that when Wade, ODB, Sanders and Merritt signed Wade was the lowest rated of the four.  Merritt was the "prize" as he was local and we beat out Pitt and other high major programs for him. I believe we beat out UVA for Sanders, Notre Dame for ODB, Illinois State and Bradley for Wade. He wasn't even ranked until the 90 point day during a holiday tournament double header.

You neglect to mention that the reason Wade wasn't ranked very high was his sporadic play on the AAU circuit and that he was a "late grower". You further neglect to mention that the reason he was overlooked recruiting wise was grades/test scores not talent.

Uninformed MU fans may have considered Merritt the crown jewel of the class or thought that ODB or Sanders were Wade's equal or better. The Marquette fans that I hang with knew better. And we knew better nearly a year before he set foot on campus.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 03:48:14 PM »

Revisionist history.  Wade was highly regarded tho lightly recruited.  Schmidt brothers held him in high regard as did a number of other servicess.  One site had him top 50 dont recall whom.  He was not a consensus top 100.

Lenny is correct.  For revisionists to parrot Crean n say Merritt was considered the jewel are either too young to remember, ignorant, or Crean slurpers.
Merritt was the first to commit n yes it gave Crean some legitimacy n most likely momentum with the other recruits.  But to continue to continue the Crean narrative that he was some doofus that wasnt top 500 is sad.  Krunti Hester was Top 500. 
As Brian Wardle said Wade was putting in work against the Bucks all stars.  Wade was lightly seen but those that saw and knew didnt recruit.  Crean had the luxury of being in probably the best conference that took non qualifiers... call it the Anfernee Hardaway rule if u like
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:55:32 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 03:57:37 PM »
2004 - NIT Quarterfinals (lost to Iowa State at Hilton). Had injury issues that year
2005 - NIT (Was NCAA bound until Diener got injured)
2006 - NCAA
2007 - NCAA (lost Jerel for the season right before the Pitt game on NMD)
2008 - NCAA

2009 - left loaded roster for Buzz

Your thought (along with your ridiculously poor grammar) is incorrect

Yep he went 2 nits and 3 ncaas after wade at mu n was worse at iu iirc
Billy u r wrong on so many fronts

Point remains ffor the guy with the revolutionary player development its ironic that he went maybe . 500 in ncaa appearances after wade left in his next 14 years of coaching and is now unemplyed with no one interested in higher this genius known by his peers as Tommy Naismith
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:00:44 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
Revisionist history.  Wade was highly regarded tho lightly recruited.  Schmidt brothers held him in high regard as did a number of other servicess.  One site had him top 50 dont recall whom.  He was not a consensus top 100.

Lenny is correct.  For revisionists to parrot Crean n say Merritt was considered the jewel are either too young to remember, ignorant, or Crean slurpers.
Merritt was the first to commit n yes it gave Crean some legitimacy n most likely momentum with the other recruits.  But to continue to continue the Crean narrative that he was some doofus that wasnt top 500 is sad.  Krunti Hester was Top 500. 
As Brian Wardle said Wade was putting in work against the Bucks all stars.  Wade was lightly seen but those that saw and knew didnt recruit.  Crean had the luxury of being in probably the best conference that took non qualifiers... call it the Anfernee Hardaway rule if u like

Yes, was ranked top 55 by Fox Sports....after the season. He was not top 100 when he was signed.

Merritt was the top rated recruit on signing day - fact.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »
Yep he went 2 nits and 3 ncaas after wade at mu n was worse at iu iirc
Billy u r wrong on so many fronts

Point remains ffor the guy with the revolutionary player development its ironic that he went maybe . 500 in ncaa appearances after wade left in his next 14 years of coaching and is now unemplyed with no one interested in higher this genius known by his peers as Tommy Naismith

What did he inherit at IU?  Anyone with any knowledge of sport (ok, not you) knows that what Crean inherited at IU was an absolute brutal situation that no coach could have been successful with. On his first team he had only two returning players who had even scored the previous season, both walk-ons.  Plus IU was on severe probation that limited recruiting - both scholarships, calls and contacts and evaluations.  After he got through that he went to the tourney 4 of 6 years with three Sweet 16 appearances and a 2 outright Big Ten titles.

I guess Crean ran over your dog, or called you out on your borderline illiterate grammatical skills or something like that for you to have such vitriol towards the man. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
http://latenighthoops.com/2012-13-preview-3-indiana-hoosiers-11/#.WV2B2ITyvIU, ainn@?

Consensus #1 heading into the season.. ooops
AP Poll:
Preseason: #1
Week 14: #1
Week 15: #1
Week 16: #1
Week 17: #1 (24-3)
Week 18: #2 (25-4)
Week 19: #3 (26-5)

The Hoosiers should have an excellent season, but we cannot rationalize them as being the best in the country.

Indiana has tremendous talent and undeniable depth, but now it gets down to coaching. Tom Crean is a great PR man, but are there concerns with the X’s and O’s? Having tons of talent is better than having no talent, but optimally balancing this group of players throughout the year could prove to be quite a challenge.

Indiana’s schedule lends itself to high expectations continuing for much of the year. After a weak non-conference portion, the season heads into conference play where Indiana’s four most difficult road games are all on the back half of the conference calendar.

Indiana will lose road games during the last month of the regular season, pushing them away from the top spot in the polls at year end. In the tournament, their defense makes it highly unlikely that they’ll be able to put together a championship run.

The difference in our projections for the top three Big Ten teams is small. Indiana will be entertaining to watch and they can certainly contend for the Big Ten title. However, concerns with defense, playing away from home and balancing of playing time are too much for us to consider them contenders for a national championship.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 07:30:54 PM »
Bad coach

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 07:31:14 PM »
Bad recollection of reality

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 07:40:22 PM »
What did he inherit at IU?  Anyone with any knowledge of sport (ok, not you) knows that what Crean inherited at IU was an absolute brutal situation that no coach could have been successful with. On his first team he had only two returning players who had even scored the previous season, both walk-ons.  Plus IU was on severe probation that limited recruiting - both scholarships, calls and contacts and evaluations.  After he got through that he went to the tourney 4 of 6 years with three Sweet 16 appearances and a 2 outright Big Ten titles.

I guess Crean ran over your dog, or called you out on your borderline illiterate grammatical skills or something like that for you to have such vitriol towards the man.

Crean was so successful at Indiana that he was summarily fired by an AD who hired him, extended him and defended him long after the handwriting was on the wall.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »
Lenny,
Some people are still buying long after others are selling.

You think the same would still be buying Wojo if in year 6 here if he missed the tourney "only because Diener got hurt"?.
Might of had nothing to do with the 7-8 Barely D1 players on the roster

feedback