[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ranking the Big East Coaching Jobs  (Read 7023 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Ranking the Big East Coaching Jobs
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 11:43:30 AM »
The writer of this article is a 17 year old Seton Hall fan.

Notice I did not use teal.

Well there ya go.  MU hasn't been overly impressive since 2014, when the author was 14.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 03:50:16 AM »
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I start to think that there's a little bit of sentimentality causing me to put MU ahead of Georgetown.  But MU was really awesome in the 70s...that counts for something.  It's kind of difficult to decide how to factor in program success.  Obviously, championships are key.  But beyond that, how to account for MU's amazingly successful 70s?  Georgetown's awful recent past?  Butler's flash in the pan?  The fact that SJU has more wins than anyone? Etc.

Just for fun, I looked into a couple of the the more quantifiable/concrete criteria mentioned by WarriorFan.  Here's how it shakes out:

Budget ('15-'16):  GU ($11.34); MU ($11.31); Nova ($9.45); SJU ($9.17); Prov ($7.91); Creighton ($7.26); Hall ($6.26); X ($5.71); DePaul ($5.57); Butler ($4.83)

Attendance ('16):  Creighton (15941); MU (13308); X (10281); Prov (9703); GU (8879); Butler (8164); Nova (8119); Hall (7070); SJU (6944); DePaul (5513)

After a little more thought, if I had to rank them all, I'd go with:

Villanova
Georgetown
Marquette
Saint Johns
Butler
Creighton
Xavier
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul

If more proof that Barry Collier is a genius was needed, here it is.  Lowest budget in the league, but Butler continues to pump out top coaches that other programs or the pros want whom Collier then replaces with another great coach.  How much of Butler's attractiveness as a program is related to Collier being the AD?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »
You should apply. Much more knowledgeable than this guy. Not kidding; besides you would give them a "midwest perspective" about the Big East.

You nailed it, there is no Midwest perspective.  At heart we are an independent currently playing in the BIG EAST.  50% of the universities are EAST coast and Catholic, Al is turning over in his grave.

For now, for the $$$$$, its a good deal, long term, we shall see.   There was a time when bicycle racing and speed skating were big sports, now we have lacrosse and football.  Ten years from now some big name football programs will fold and the BE TV contract will end, in the mean time, we are playing the hand we have been dealt.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 02:48:41 PM »
You nailed it, there is no Midwest perspective.  At heart we are an independent currently playing in the BIG EAST.  50% of the universities are EAST coast and Catholic, Al is turning over in his grave.

For now, for the $$$$$, its a good deal, long term, we shall see.   There was a time when bicycle racing and speed skating were big sports, now we have lacrosse and football.  Ten years from now some big name football programs will fold and the BE TV contract will end, in the mean time, we are playing the hand we have been dealt.

I think Al would be happy that the Big East schools said FU to the bigger conferences and instead of settling for small, actual mid-majors, the created a basketball only conference that is top 5 year in, year out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »

When was speed skating a big sport? That one month everybody fell in love with apollo Anton ono?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »

Was he beside himself when we were in C-USA? He was alive for that. The simple reality is independents don't exist anymore. Who was the last, NJIT? Just because the landscape has changed since the 1970s doesn't mean our forebears would be appalled.

And since Al (and Hank, and Rick, and all the old Marquette players) lived to at least see us join a conference, I don't think any of the deceased are doing donuts underground.

The idea of the college basketball independent is anachronistic. Show me a modern independent and I'll show you a failing program desperate to join a conference.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
I think you're much closer than the author, but there's no way that Georgetown isn't in the top three using the criteria you listed.  I'd take your list, insert Georgetown at No. 3 and leave everything else the same.  I think you could make an argument that SJU should be ahead of Georgetown (although I'd definitely disagree), but it's crazy to suggest that Butler and/or Creighton are ahead of them.  Hell, you could argue that GU belongs ahead of MU (again, I'd disagree).  Was that an oversight on your part?  Or were you drunk when you posted?   ;)
Yep, you're right... I just have something against GTown and I think they have been and still are an in-bred nepotistic pool of incompetence and that's harder to recover from than one thinks.  Kudos to Pat Ewing if he can do it, but my bet is he fails but lingers a bit too long just like his predecessor. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback