[Today at 08:40:42 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: George Thompson  (Read 9449 times)

T-Bone

• All American
Re: George Thompson
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
Not to further hijack this thread, but was there any compensation to the former coaches, or just travel/room/board?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 04:18:49 AM »
We shouldn't retire numbers. There are only 36 available numbers in college basketball. And if we retired everyone who was deserving, probably half would be gone.

As is, there are only 25 numbers left Marquette can give out. And that's with 7 of our top 10 scorers, 8 of our top 10 rebounders, and 9 of our top 10 assisters not retired.

Retiring numbers in college basketball is senseless.

Except, of course, in the case of 77.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »
My understanding was that Buzz was invited but chose not to attend.  That was probably a smart choice by him.  It's just too soon.

It has been 3 years since he left.  There is only one event this great, celebrating 100 years of basketball.  No one here will be around for year 200, if MU basketball even exists then.

There is not a single person I know that attended this event that said it wasn't the best MU basketball event ever, and some of these people have been following Marquette hoops for close to 60 years. 

He should have been there.  In 2009, only one year removed, a former coach who left MU came back for a celebration in Milwaukee. It wasn't too soon.  It is never too soon when these once in a lifetime events happen.  http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/051109aaa.html

Buzz would have been wildly supported and it would have been magnanimous of him to be there.  Not much character revealed on this one. An unfortunate choice. He was missed at the event and would have made it better.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
It has been 3 years since he left.  There is only one event this great, celebrating 100 years of basketball.  No one here will be around for year 200, if MU basketball even exists then.

There is not a single person I know that attended this event that said it wasn't the best MU basketball event ever, and some of these people have been following Marquette hoops for close to 60 years. 

He should have been there.  In 2009, only one year removed, a former coach who left MU came back for a celebration in Milwaukee. It wasn't too soon.  It is never too soon when these once in a lifetime events happen.  http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/051109aaa.html

Buzz would have been wildly supported and it would have been magnanimous of him to be there.  Not much character revealed on this one. An unfortunate choice. He was missed at the event and would have made it better.
There is a difference in events.  the recent one was all about MU.  The 2009 event was more about individuals, specifically Bill Cords and Dwyane Wade and other members of the 2002-03 Final 4 team.  Hard for a sitting Power 5 coach to come honor MU when there could be future recruiting issues as well as his personal issue with MU.  Far different than Harris and Wardle who are MU grads and former MU assistants.  Deane and Crean and O'Neill are obviously unemployed.  I'll give Buzz a pass here.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:47:46 AM by Nukem2 »

GOO

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »
I would not expect Buzz to attend, and do not think any different about him, good or bad, for not attending.  Maybe slightly less if he attended.  A lot of strained relationships and it is too soon and he is employed by a direct competitor.  If he were employed by Kansas or UNC or Duke, I could see him coming and it not being an issue with his employer.

As I see it: If the ex-CEO of GM, now employed by a competitor, was invited to celebrate GM and the greatness and history of GM... I sure would hope the ex-GM CEO has enough respect for his current employer to not attend.

As for George Thompson, I think it is too bad he feels that way, if true.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »
In theory I don't mind Buzz not coming to the hoopla. I can understand that it could be awkward or send the wrong message if he took time off from his job at another school to celebrate his former school. I'm not sure that Crean would have come back of he was still at I4. Same for KO and Deane if they were still coaching.

However,  my guess is that Buzz not coming had less to do with that and more to do with his bitterness towards MU.

Very few Buzz era recruits at the event too. But my assumption is that they are probably all still playing professionally and couldn't get away. It was nice to hear Jamil speak. And I saw Ners' favorite PG!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2017, 10:24:15 AM »
Except, of course, in the case of 77.

77 is fine to be retired. In fact, it's such a crucial number that I'm glad it isn't eligible for use not just at Marquette, but any Division 1 basketball program.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »

When TC came back to recognize the '03 team he kept a very low profile.  My recollection is that he barely said any word publicly but just wanted to be around his team.  Furthermore the coach at the time was a former assistant.

Pretty stark contrast to a guy you are suggesting being part of a panel discussion on the history of Marquette basketball.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »
There is a difference in events.  the recent one was all about MU.  The 2009 event was more about individuals, specifically Bill Cords and Dwyane Wade and other members of the 2002-03 Final 4 team.  Hard for a sitting Power 5 coach to come honor MU when there could be future recruiting issues as well as his personal issue with MU.  Far different than Harris and Wardle who are MU grads and former MU assistants.  Deane and Crean and O'Neill are obviously unemployed.  I'll give Buzz a pass here.

A difference, yes, but even taking away the Hall of Fame event, the 100th only happens one time. There will never in our lifetimes be an all encompassing event like this again for Marquette that brings in generations of participants.  Crean and Deane committed when they were employed.  Crean and O'Neill are employed now, but in different jobs.  Only Deane is retired and he also committed when he was employed.  It is too bad that he chose not to.   Why is it hard for a sitting Power 5 coach to come?  Sitting Power 5 coaches are able to attend events all the time where conflicts may occur. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »

Goddammit Chicos ruins everything

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »
Goddammit Chicos ruins everything
Pr is it Hoopaloop just trolling us?
Goal is National Championship

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »
77 is fine to be retired. In fact, it's such a crucial number that I'm glad it isn't eligible for use not just at Marquette, but any Division 1 basketball program.

And to think some people say Marquette is not a respected program!
I have a source who tells me that the '70 NIT championship is being similarly acknowledged throughout not only DI, but DII and DIII as well.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria