[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dr. Lovell does it again  (Read 19507 times)

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On
Re: Dr. Lovell does it again
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 06:00:46 PM »
It's a big win for Marquette,  but I question Sendiks as the choice. No one on campus with their own money can really truly afford Sendiks, so as others have said, it will be those that are spending Mom and Dads money. When I was in school, I might have gone for their ready-made meals every now and again as a Jr and Senior over Qdoba or other fast food, but more often than not, I would have still driven to Pick n Save at Ogden.

The bigger concern is that it seems like a missed opportunity for the surrounding community. Its location - in the heart of campus - and prices leave them in a good desert. There's a Cermak going in at Grand Ave,  but they missed a community outreach opportunity.

Cermak at Grand Ave - has that been announced yet or insider info?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »
Cermak at Grand Ave - has that been announced yet or insider info?

No, I'm an idiot. It's in Walkers Point. I saw an ad a ways back downtown near GA and assumed.

So in other words, my point stands  ;D

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
It's a big win for Marquette,  but I question Sendiks as the choice. No one on campus with their own money can really truly afford Sendiks, so as others have said, it will be those that are spending Mom and Dads money. When I was in school, I might have gone for their ready-made meals every now and again as a Jr and Senior over Qdoba or other fast food, but more often than not, I would have still driven to Pick n Save at Ogden.

The bigger concern is that it seems like a missed opportunity for the surrounding community. Its location - in the heart of campus - and prices leave them in a good desert. There's a Cermak going in at Grand Ave,  but they missed a community outreach opportunity.

You talk like Marquette picked Sendik's out of a pile of grocers that were begging to set up shop on Campus.  Getting any grocer to agree to put a store in Marquette's neighborhood took years of focused, organized work. I know for a fact that they approached every grocery chain that has a presence in Milwaukee, and a number of them gave it serious consideration before they eventually said that they didn't think they could make it work. 

For example, Marquette led this initiative by Near West Side Partners:

http://www.nearwestsidemke.org/grocery-challenge/

Anyone who gripes that the Sendik's isn't their store of choice for Marquette either doesn't realize how hard this was to achieve, or is an ungrateful douchebag.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 07:03:39 PM »
You talk like Marquette picked Sendik's out of a pile of grocers that were begging to set up shop on Campus.  Getting any grocer to agree to put a store in Marquette's neighborhood took years of focused, organized work. I know for a fact that they approached every grocery chain that has a presence in Milwaukee, and a number of them gave it serious consideration before they eventually said that they didn't think they could make it work. 

For example, Marquette led this initiative by Near West Side Partners:

http://www.nearwestsidemke.org/grocery-challenge/

Anyone who gripes that the Sendik's isn't their store of choice for Marquette either doesn't realize how hard this was to achieve, or is an ungrateful douchebag.

...or are simply voicing their opinion that it might not be a perfect fit.  There's nothing wrong with thinking that it's great a grocery store is coming to Marquette's campus and understanding that it's either Sendik's or nothing but still voicing the opinion that it would've been nice had a different grocery store been the one to step up and give it a shot.  Some might see Sendik's typical target audience, see Marquette's campus population, and think the fit may not be perfect.  Others may think it's douchey to do that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »
...or are simply voicing their opinion that it might not be a perfect fit.  There's nothing wrong with thinking that it's great a grocery store is coming to Marquette's campus and understanding that it's either Sendik's or nothing but still voicing the opinion that it would've been nice had a different grocery store been the one to step up and give it a shot.  Some might see Sendik's typical target audience, see Marquette's campus population, and think the fit may not be perfect.  Others may think it's douchey to do that.

Let me rephrase what I said:

Anyone who gripes about Sendik's being the chain that is opening the store on campus either doesn't realize how hard this was to achieve, or is an ungrateful douchebag.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
I doubt Sendiks is going to be opening up a full service grocery store like what they have in Brookfield and Mequon.  It will likely be stocked more with offerings that appeal to a college student both in price and in variety.  They aren't dumb. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »
Let me rephrase what I said:

Anyone who gripes about Sendik's being the chain that is opening the store on campus either doesn't realize how hard this was to achieve, or is an ungrateful douchebag.

Look, I understand the economics of this.  I don't doubt that it was extremely difficult to achieve. There's no other reason it took forever to accomplish. It's game theory - no one wants to be the first to prove that something doesn't work. It's why no anchor stores have been interested in Grand Ave for a decade.

I think it's great for Marquette. Walgreens has competition for toiletries and other products. And it supports a great Wisconsin based business, which Roundys no longer is.

I don't think it does anything for the community at large, and given the Jesuit mission, that's a bummer.

I'm probably a douchebag for several other reasons that my wife can attest to, but I don't think this is one of them.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2017, 07:31:20 PM »
Look, I understand the economics of this.  I don't doubt that it was extremely difficult to achieve. There's no other reason it took forever to accomplish. It's game theory - no one wants to be the first to prove that something doesn't work. It's why no anchor stores have been interested in Grand Ave for a decade.

I think it's great for Marquette. Walgreens has competition for toiletries and other products. And it supports a great Wisconsin based business, which Roundys no longer is.

I don't think it does anything for the community at large, and given the Jesuit mission, that's a bummer.

I'm probably a douchebag for several other reasons that my wife can attest to, but I don't think this is one of them.

You said "I question the choice".  There was no choice. And I was assuming that were the first kind of griper, not the second.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:35:54 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2017, 07:34:49 PM »
I doubt Sendiks is going to be opening up a full service grocery store like what they have in Brookfield and Mequon.  It will likely be stocked more with offerings that appeal to a college student both in price and in variety.  They aren't dumb.

Exactly.  Glow found this quote in an article about Sendik's that was published last May:

"Serve the neighborhood. While there are core things we do that are key to our brand (make homemade deli salads), we have to serve the neighborhood. That means selections vary by store because every area is unique. For instance, we know we’re going to sell a lot more Polish sausage on the south side of Milwaukee than the north side.”

In other words, they will sell what the neighborhood wants to buy.
Have some patience, FFS.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 07:43:42 PM »
You said "I question the choice".  There was no choice.

Conceded, though my post was meant more in the context of my disappointment on the limited scope of impact to the community.

Sendiks is not a store that wins on volume sales as much as the others, so it makes sense they're the ones that feel they can capitalize.

No ill will intended, but I would have expected more civil discourse from one one of Scoops best posters.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »
What the hell is 2040s?   And get off my lawn.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »
Conceded, though my post was meant more in the context of my disappointment on the limited scope of impact to the community.

Sendiks is not a store that wins on volume sales as much as the others, so it makes sense they're the ones that feel they can capitalize.

No ill will intended, but I would have expected more civil discourse from one one of Scoops best posters.

I suppose it is a little unlike me, but I know how much work went into getting this store, including a lot of work by our non-university neighbors.  I believe that getting this store is one of the most important things to happen at Marquette in recent memory.  It could literally change the face of the neighborhood. 

It has been proven in studies that one of the biggest obstacles to having middle and upper-middle class folks move to the Near West Side is the lack of a grocery store.  And one of the biggest obstacles in attracting students to Marquette is the economic state of the neighborhood.  So you can understand when the reaction by some to this news is "Pffft...they should have gotten a different store", it sticks in my craw.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
What the hell is 2040s?   And get off my lawn.

The 2040s is an apartment building at 2040 W Wisconsin.  Its name was changed in the past year or so to The Marq, although the oldtimers might remember it as the Bockl building.  It was the first of the upscale student apartment complexes that are being developed close to campus.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2017, 08:58:08 PM »
The 2040s is an apartment building at 2040 W Wisconsin.  Its name was changed in the past year or so to The Marq, although the oldtimers might remember it as the Bockl building.  It was the first of the upscale student apartment complexes that are being developed close to campus.

I completely forgot about that. It really confused some of the new LIMO drivers when out of habit I would call it out as 2040s.

Another fun one was calling 7-11 as Open Pantry. I believe my freshman year was the last year it was OP.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
This is not the Sendik's boutiques of the 80s / 90s.  They compete on with all super markets now and function like a traditional grocer.  If you cannot afford groceries at Sendik's you probably can't afford them at Pick & Save either.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »
Youngin', wen due ya sleep, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
Youngin', wen due ya sleep, hey?

Very late at night, and not for very long. Its actually kind of a problem.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:09:01 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
First thin' you and I actually agree on, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
If they carry Sonoran salsa, they will make a killing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2017, 12:46:12 AM »

You are the second person to say this. I have never shopped at Sendick's, its all HEBs and Krogers deep in the heart of Texas. Is it really that expensive? I can't imagine a grocery store that is so expensive that its cheaper to buy a meal plan or go out to eat all the time. Give me a 10 lb bag of rice, let me buy a little chicken and veggies every week and I can keep myself fed on the cheap for months!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2017, 12:50:12 AM »
I remember going to a Cub Foods a mile or two south of campus.
Yep, Old Milwaukee was $1.99 for a case.  Cheaper than CocaCola.
I guess that dates me, but it was new then.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2017, 06:16:37 AM »
Great news for Marquette, but I have to say some of our Pick N Save runs are great memories!

A case of Huber returnable bottles was something like $2.75

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
No oneder hour fookin' endowment is so pathetic, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »

The 'heart of campus' is somehow a problem? Please don't tell me that you don't understand exactly why the new grocery is located in Marquette owned property?  Remember, this outcome has been nearly impossible to achieve for the economic reasons stated.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »

Winner, winner chicken dinner.