[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dr. Lovell does it again  (Read 19503 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Dr. Lovell does it again
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54402.msg935336;topicseen#new

Other than the students who use mommy and daddy's Uber account to get from 2040s to the Sendik's and then use mommy and daddy's credit card to pay for said Sendik's trips, I'm not sure what college students would shop at Sendik's.

2040, represent.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 01:16:21 PM »
The ones who would be shopping at the 7-11 otherwise because the don't have a car to go to Pic n Save.  It's a win all around and a huge accomplishment, so stop crapping on it.

Yep.  Sendiks isn't cheap, but it beats the heck out of convenience stores and fast food places.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »
I don't remember the name of the place I used to go in 90-91, but it was a fairly significant bus ride.  It was definitely over on the East side.

This is a good thing.  I'm honestly surprised they didn't have one already.  I'd have thought that they would have gotten this done in the last 25+ years.

They have proactively been working on it for many, many, years, including approaching over a dozen grocery store chains directly. They were told that no one can make money when the students are only there 9 months out of the year.  I can't tell you how huge of an accomplishment this is.

I am not sure how many of you are aware of the Avenues West Association.  It is a partnership between Marquette, Miller Coors, Potowatomi, and Aurora Healthcare whose goal is to transform the neighborhood into a place where their employees want to live and socialize.  They were heavily involved in this.  They were also instrumental in getting the city to close down an apartment complex that was basically a drug den.  They are doing great things.

http://www.avenueswest.com/
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
They have proactively been working on it for many, many, years, including approaching over a dozen grocery store chains directly. They were told that no one can make money when the students are only there 9 months out of the year.  I can't tell you how huge of an accomplishment this is.

I am not sure how many of you are aware of the Avenues West Association.  It is a partnership between Marquette, Miller Coors, Potowatomi, and Aurora Healthcare whose goal is to transform the neighborhood into a place where their employees want to live and socialize.  They were heavily involved in this.  They were also instrumental in getting the city to close down an apartment complex that was basically a drug den.  They are doing great things.

http://www.avenueswest.com/

This is all great stuff.  Thanks for the info, Chick.  Marquette has come a long way since I was there...and I suspect is almost unrecognizable from the last time I was there (more than 20 years).  I'm happy to hear they are doing so well.  I've still got two chances to get one of mine there.  I'm planning to take a road trip next fall (2018) on the weekend my daughter plays at MU and DePaul.  I can hardly wait.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 01:24:06 PM »
1) No immediate relationship
2) If you do a real comparison shop, you'll find P&S costs more.  They rely on their reputation of savings more than actual pricing.  But also, it's groceries so we're talking pennies here.  Of course prepared foods (where stores make their money) will be expensive but some students (and their parents) will pay for it.

I agree with this.  And the grocery business is getting saturated in the Milwaukee area right now.  Don't know what it's like across the rest of the fruited plain, but by my count we have:

1. Pic 'n Save (now owned by Roundy's, a division of Kroger's) and its ancillary stores (Metro Markets)
2. Sendik's
3. Meijer
4. Woodman's
5. Whole Foods
6. Outpost
7. Wal Mart grocery's (some are free standing grocery only)
8. Target
9. Cermak
10. Trader Joe's
11.  Fresh Thyme
12. Sentry, including Metcalfe's

I'm probably missing a few, and I'm not considering the specialty outfits likes Bunzel's/Glorioso's/Rupena's   As such, the price competition is crazy tight. 
Ludum habemus.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
They were also instrumental in getting the city to close down an apartment complex that was basically a drug den. 

It was bittersweet to see my senior housing closed down.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 01:28:47 PM »
I've worked in grocery for a while - a store is only as expensive as the customer makes it. I can survive on a $200/month Whole Foods budget just as well as I can on a $200/month Cub Foods budget. Learn how avoid waste, shop promotions and sales, learn to preserve your food longer, don't eat steak every night, etc.

Shopping at Sendik's may be more expensive for us brand loyalist, but those millennials don't give a care.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »
One of the key things is that the store will only be 4800 square feet. And Sendik's has already stated publicly that it caters its individual store to the local community.  The Sendik's on campus won't be an exact repeat of a Sendik's in Bayshore. Different target audience.  But if you think about it, one of its features, individual sized ready to cook meals, fits perfectly with a student body.

This is a HUGE win for Marquette. And the observant should take note that the store will be located inside Marquette owned property.  I have no specifics to offer other than to say that financial viability had been cited by numerous prospective retailers during the 2 year search and that Marquette is the landlord.  I trust you can do the math here.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »
This is all great stuff.  Thanks for the info, Chick.  Marquette has come a long way since I was there...and I suspect is almost unrecognizable from the last time I was there (more than 20 years).  I'm happy to hear they are doing so well.  I've still got two chances to get one of mine there.  I'm planning to take a road trip next fall (2018) on the weekend my daughter plays at MU and DePaul.  I can hardly wait.

In short, yep.

You should visit as you mention.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 02:11:10 PM »
Here's da thin' many of y'all may knot reelize. Dis will bee Sendik's first store in da city of Milwaukee. All 14 locations are in suburban communities, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 02:16:46 PM »
KAMPUS FOODS >>>>>>>>>>

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
Marquette Foods > Dany's > Kampus Foods

The OP where store manager Randy would "socialize" with students in the cooler is in a whole different category.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
KAMPUS FOODS >>>>>>>>>>

Winner! 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
1) No immediate relationship
2) If you do a real comparison shop, you'll find P&S costs more.  They rely on their reputation of savings more than actual pricing.  But also, it's groceries so we're talking pennies here.  Of course prepared foods (where stores make their money) will be expensive but some students (and their parents) will pay for it.

Pick's prices are horrible. If it isn't on sale, it's overpriced, and sometimes even then it's overpriced. I remember one coffee creamer my wife liked selling for $2.99 at PnS, then going on sale for $1.99. The same item's regular price at Woodman's was $1.59. That's an extreme, but it's fairly normal to find items at Pick costing $1-2 more than the same item at Woodman's. I'd guess an average comparison shop would find Pick's prices to be about 125-150% higher than Woodman's, and I truly don't think that's an overexaggeration at all. But they've dominated the market for so long that people keep coming back on the basis of familiarity.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »
I agree with this.  And the grocery business is getting saturated in the Milwaukee area right now.  Don't know what it's like across the rest of the fruited plain, but by my count we have:

1. Pic 'n Save (now owned by Roundy's, a division of Kroger's) and its ancillary stores (Metro Markets)
2. Sendik's
3. Meijer
4. Woodman's
5. Whole Foods Amazon
6. Outpost
7. Wal Mart grocery's (some are free standing grocery only)
8. Target
9. Cermak
10. Trader Joe's
11.  Fresh Thyme
12. Sentry, including Metcalfe's

I'm probably missing a few, and I'm not considering the specialty outfits likes Bunzel's/Glorioso's/Rupena's   As such, the price competition is crazy tight.
:P
Goal is National Championship

source?

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
Here's da thin' many of y'all may knot reelize. Dis will bee Sendik's first store in da city of Milwaukee. All 14 locations are in suburban communities, hey?

There's one on the corner of downer and park.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
There's one on the corner of downer and park.

Different family, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 03:53:32 PM »
I would have killed for a grocery store on campus. I used to have to take the bus to the store (or bum a ride from SaveOD). I didn't have a meal plan after being an RA (where I got it as part of my compensation). I can make grocery store food go a lot father for a lot cheaper than I could a meal plan.

I remember Marquette ran a shuttle bus on Saturdays to Pick 'N Save out by Miller Brewing.

When I was out for reunion in Summer 2016 I visited a Pick 'N Save that was on the end of the Viaduct.  They said Marquette students always came but they said the store was closing in September 2016.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
Save-On Foods at 20th and Clybourn, no matta?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
Save-On Foods at 20th and Clybourn, no matta?

Bout damn time someone gives Save-On a shout. Palermo's that fell off the truck for two bucks. Hit em with a little hot sauce and ranch and they clean up real nice.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
How is Freeway's favorite store, Aldi, not part of this discussion?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
How is Freeway's favorite store, Aldi, not part of this discussion?

I'm surprised there aren't more in the inner city. Prices are good, albeit with woeful selection. Honestly, though, Aldi has some of the best produce of any chain in Milwaukee. Far superior to Pick or Woodman's. The only places that are consistently better are produce specific locations like Pete's or Layton Fruit Market.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

erubiel

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 04:52:55 PM »
For those of us in the Thoma's/Conway's metroplex, Kassee's Foods on 22nd and Wells was tough to beat. 

Nice shout out to Save-On Foods. Took two guys to carry a bag of rice home from there...

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »
It's a big win for Marquette,  but I question Sendiks as the choice. No one on campus with their own money can really truly afford Sendiks, so as others have said, it will be those that are spending Mom and Dads money. When I was in school, I might have gone for their ready-made meals every now and again as a Jr and Senior over Qdoba or other fast food, but more often than not, I would have still driven to Pick n Save at Ogden.

The bigger concern is that it seems like a missed opportunity for the surrounding community. Its location - in the heart of campus - and prices leave them in a good desert. There's a Cermak going in at Grand Ave,  but they missed a community outreach opportunity. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 05:38:41 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54402.msg935336;topicseen#new

Other than the students who use mommy and daddy's Uber account to get from 2040s to the Sendik's and then use mommy and daddy's credit card to pay for said Sendik's trips, I'm not sure what college students would shop at Sendik's.

You really packed in all your unresolved issues in this one.

feedback