[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Grub on Campus  (Read 6122 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Grub on Campus
« on: June 28, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
Sendiks openin' on 16th & Wells, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Grub on Campus
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »
What college kid would shop at Sendik's?

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of Marquette students that will.

Just throw an ice cream store on campus for goodness sakes.  It could be the most bland ice cream in the world and someone would rake in the money anyway.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »
Are ya kiddin'? Lotsa grain-free options, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »
What college kid would shop at Sendik's?

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of Marquette students that will.

Just throw an ice cream store on campus for goodness sakes.  It could be the most bland ice cream in the world and someone would rake in the money anyway.

Dude, this is a great idea.  We can call it MU Scoops.  Who's in?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »
Y'all haven't had nothin' 'til ya've tried Go Greek in da Hills, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
Are ya kiddin'? Lotsa grain-free options, ai na?

Exactly.  This is a college campus, not a retirement community.

Dude, this is a great idea.  We can call it MU Scoops.  Who's in?

Haha that is awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
Exactly.  This is a college campus, not a retirement community.

Haha that is awesome.

Gotta keep it open late like insomnia cookie to attract the drunk crowd. It would probably work.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:24:54 AM »
Gotta keep it open late like insomnia cookie to attract the drunk crowd. It would probably work.
Freshman 15 more like the Freshman 50

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »

Yup.  I personally haven't been able to figure out how an ice cream shop hasn't been open on campus since my freshman year at MU.  I think it'd rake in money, not only because what college kid doesn't like ice cream, but also because there's not only nothing on campus but there's also nothing really close to campus.  Off the top of my head the closest thing I can think of is a frozen yogurt place in the 3rd Ward.  You have to hop in a car to get anything other than Ben & Jerry's or a McDonald's/cafeteria soft serve dish.  I think you could throw a below average ice cream place with good service on campus and make a boatload of money.

But rent/buying property on a college campus is not cheap...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »
Yup.  I personally haven't been able to figure out how an ice cream shop hasn't been open on campus since my freshman year at MU.  I think it'd rake in money, not only because what college kid doesn't like ice cream, but also because there's not only nothing on campus but there's also nothing really close to campus.  Off the top of my head the closest thing I can think of is a frozen yogurt place in the 3rd Ward.  You have to hop in a car to get anything other than Ben & Jerry's or a McDonald's/cafeteria soft serve dish.  I think you could throw a below average ice cream place with good service on campus and make a boatload of money.

But rent/buying property on a college campus is not cheap...

Do they still have softserve in the dorm cafeterias? If so, ~50% of the student body is getting ice cream for "free" without leaving their dorm.

Also, there was a DQ on campus at 16th and Wells when I was student. I don't think I ever went in there.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
Do they still have softserve in the dorm cafeterias? If so, ~50% of the student body is getting ice cream for "free" without leaving their dorm.

Also, there was a DQ on campus at 16th and Wells when I was student. I don't think I ever went in there.

DQ is different than a "trendy" frozen yogurt place or ice cream parlor.  People will walk a couple blocks from their dorm with their friends and pay $5 for a couple scoops.  That's like saying no one will go to Starbucks because they can get coffee for free in their dorm.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »
Myself and my group of friends could've kept DQ very profitable by ourselves.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »
DQ is different than a "trendy" frozen yogurt place or ice cream parlor.  People will walk a couple blocks from their dorm with their friends and pay $5 for a couple scoops.  That's like saying no one will go to Starbucks because they can get coffee for free in their dorm.

You mean the type of "trendy" frozen yogurt places that come and go every few weeks in the north shore?

It sounds good in theory, but if there was a decent market for an ice cream shop on campus, there'd be 3 of them already there. Ice cream is by in large a summer treat. Most students aren't around in the summer and for a majority of the school year it's not "ice cream" weather in Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:45:46 AM by MerrittsMustache »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
There was a DQ on campus at 16th and Wells when I was student. I don't think I ever went in there.

The DQ had to close because it got robbed every 30 minutes or so.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »
You mean the type of "trendy" frozen yogurt places that come and go every few weeks in the north shore?

It sounds good in theory, but if there was a decent market for an ice cream shop on campus, there'd be 3 of them already there. Ice cream is by in large a summer treat. Most students aren't around in the summer and for a majority of the school year it's not "ice cream" weather in Milwaukee.

While I agree it is mostly a summer treat, I think most of my group of friends wouldn't have had any problem stopping in for ice cream a couple times a week no matter what time of year it is.  I was (and still am) always in the mood for ice cream.

I think the reason it doesn't work and why my "just throw an ice cream shop on campus" wouldn't work is that it is incredibly expensive to rent space on campus.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »
Fo, you work, man?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »
I dunno wades.

The DQ was there my freshman year and it was always dead empty.

I'm still shocked a solid pizza place hasn't emerged on campus. That's a tragedy, but hard to compete with high volume, low quality places.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »
I dunno wades.

The DQ was there my freshman year and it was always dead empty.

I'm still shocked a solid pizza place hasn't emerged on campus. That's a tragedy, but hard to compete with high volume, low quality places.

Nobody is gonna beat $5 Tuesdays for Papa Johns or whatever Dominos decides to offer on any given day.

Anyone remember the name of the pizza place in the 2040s building?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »
Nobody is gonna beat $5 Tuesdays for Papa Johns or whatever Dominos decides to offer on any given day.

Anyone remember the name of the pizza place in the 2040s building?

Sal's. Always thought it was overrated.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »
Sal's. Always thought it was overrated.

Had good garlic knots at 2 a.m. though.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »
Sal's was good if you like NY style. I did not.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 07:02:04 PM »
Which campus pizza delivery place in the late 80's early 90's had the pepperoni that would cup up and each one would be filled like a little mug of grease?  Pizza Shuttle?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 07:13:28 PM »
A pizza place would be a nice addition too.  Adding Sobleman's right on campus is really nice for the current students (even though I personally think their quality has dropped as their popularity blew up...still a good burger).  My only real pet peeve about MU when I was there was the lack of quality food options.  I've never been a Jimmy John's or Cousin's fan, Subway is meh at best, Broken Yolk was okay but the hype was insanely overblown, Qdoba is Qdoba and I overate there and ruined my taste for it, Papa John's I rarely had, MU Gyros and Dog Hause only late night.  Even McDonald's you could only go to when it was light out.  Not sure there were any other options.  Domino's on the very east side of campus.

I guess maybe my personal obsession with custard/ice cream/even frozen yogurt may be obstructing my view.  It drove me crazy that MU had no true ice cream options beyond McDonalds/cafeteria soft serve when I was there.  I would've gone to an ice cream store constantly had there been one around (and do now).  It baffles me that others could not feel the same, because there are very few things that I have found that I can crave constantly no matter how often I have it like I do ice cream.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »
A pizza place would be a nice addition too.  Adding Sobleman's right on campus is really nice for the current students (even though I personally think their quality has dropped as their popularity blew up...still a good burger).  My only real pet peeve about MU when I was there was the lack of quality food options.  I've never been a Jimmy John's or Cousin's fan, Subway is meh at best, Broken Yolk was okay but the hype was insanely overblown, Qdoba is Qdoba and I overate there and ruined my taste for it, Papa John's I rarely had, MU Gyros and Dog Hause only late night.  Even McDonald's you could only go to when it was light out.  Not sure there were any other options.  Domino's on the very east side of campus.

I guess maybe my personal obsession with custard/ice cream/even frozen yogurt may be obstructing my view.  It drove me crazy that MU had no true ice cream options beyond McDonalds/cafeteria soft serve when I was there.  I would've gone to an ice cream store constantly had there been one around (and do now).  It baffles me that others could not feel the same, because there are very few things that I have found that I can crave constantly no matter how often I have it like I do ice cream.

Have you been to campus lately?  In the past couple of a decent Asian place, a Burger King, Pita Brothers, and another Mediterranean place have all opened.

And you forgot Real Chili  ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:09 PM »
Have you been to campus lately?  In the past couple of a decent Asian place, a Burger King, Pita Brothers, and another Mediterranean place have all opened.

And you forgot Real Chili  ;D

Pretty sure my friend and I kept tangled (the new ramen place) afloat it's first year on campus.

feedback