[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Brendan Bailey Mission Update  (Read 19925 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Brendan Bailey Mission Update
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 08:32:33 PM »
Make millennials great again, ai na?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:38:08 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 09:07:58 PM »
Some of y'all are so cynical. I agree with tower, if they use money they get from panhandling on the street for booze, that's there choice, I'm not bothered by that.

I'm mostly just surprised people still carry cash around. I haven't used anything but a debit card in at least a month.

Been about 15 years since I've regularly carried cash on me.  But it's ok, I hAve no doubt that panhandoers will soon be able to take debit and credit cards...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 11:00:14 PM »
I remember one dude in Mikwaukee who always claimed he ran out of gas and needed money. Used to see him when I'd go to my club or Third Ward. Must have had the worst luck ever, always running out of gas.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 05:10:16 AM »

Man o' man, come back in 'bout 15 years when you have some seasonin' in ya. Bet you'll sing a different toone, hey?

It has nothing to do with seasoning, and like tower, I've seen exactly what money can go for. If I give someone money, what they do with it is their choice.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »
[...]
I'm mostly just surprised people still carry cash around. I haven't used anything but a debit card in at least a month.

OT, but is there any benefit to using a debit card? I have one because my bank sent me one, but I don't think I've used it even once. No rewards points. Am I missing something?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 08:47:10 AM »
OT, but is there any benefit to using a debit card? I have one because my bank sent me one, but I don't think I've used it even once. No rewards points. Am I missing something?

No penalty to get cash.

What do you do at cash only bars?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »
First of all, I tip my hat to young Bailey for helping another person.

I live in New Orleans for half the year.  There is a large population of homeless, train jumpers, gutter punks and professional beggars.

There are good shelters that provide beds and food for them.

While we have compassion for the down on their luck homeless, we have no sympathy for the train hoppers and gutter punks, who choose not to work but live off of the tourists. 

On a day in April we had lunch on a balcony over looking Jackson Square.  We watched a young man set up a bucket and started tap dancing to music. 

During the hour we watched tourists put in $70 + or - in his bucket.  When he left, he lit a cigarette and pulled his smart phone out of his pocket and walked away.

Why work when you can make $70/hour begging?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
On a day in April we had lunch on a balcony over looking Jackson Square.  We watched a young man set up a bucket and started tap dancing to music. 

During the hour we watched tourists put in $70 + or - in his bucket.  When he left, he lit a cigarette and pulled his smart phone out of his pocket and walked away.

So he performed for an audience for an hour and they paid him?  Sounds like work to me!

Plus, it's cash, so none of those pesky taxes

onepost

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 09:57:25 AM »
I never give cash to homeless or "homeless".
But occasionally I'll buy someone a meal so at least I know it's a good use of my money.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »

How do you think this is panhandling??  There are tons of street performers, with I'm sure NO being a prime spot.  Can YOU tap dance for an hour?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

I live in New Orleans for half the year.  There is a large population of homeless, train jumpers, gutter punks and professional beggars.

While we have compassion for the down on their luck homeless, we have no sympathy for the train hoppers and gutter punks, who choose not to work but live off of the tourists. 

For all we know he tap dances professionally on the side. If I were to take my bagpipes downtown and play for an hour I'm sure I could make some money (or get stuff thrown at me) would that be begging as well? It's likely a side gig to make a quick buck between shows/lessons or whatever
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »
Kind of reminds me of the day after our marriage in NO when we left the Hotel Monteleone looking for a caricature artist near Jackson Square and a damn sax player was on the sidewalk outside Café du Monde begging for $$$ and playing that annoying saxophone. I stood Scoop-strong and didn't give him a penny for drugs. He did thank us for the $10 and a latte though.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
Imma just gonna cut to the chase on this one.  All of you guys suck.  S-U-C-K suck.  The act is done, and Mr. Bailey won't be influenced by your words now or in the future.  So what good

Want to discuss the merits of panhandling and the political metaphors?  Take it to the Politics board.  At least start a new thread... don't simply expect Rocky or Topper to clean up the mess you're making.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »
How do you think this is panhandling??  There are tons of street performers, with I'm sure NO being a prime spot.  Can YOU tap dance for an hour?

a guy I met staying at my hostel in Prague was making his away across Europe busking, using a marionette puppet and a boombox.  He did it until he he made enough to more on to the next city.  What the hell is wrong with that? He's earning the money by using his talents (and not taking them to South Beach). Man, people her have some huge sticks up their asses. ::)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
a guy I met staying at my hostel in Prague was making his away across Europe busking, using a marionette puppet and a boombox.  He did it until he he made enough to more on to the next city.  What the hell is wrong with that? He's earning the money by using his talents (and not taking them to South Beach). Man, people her have some huge sticks up their asses. ::)
Agree. Dude was performing, using a skill few possess, for an hour.  Who would consider that begging?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »

I can't speak for New Orleans but I know in my city there are not nearly enough beds in the shelters.  Many cities like San Francisco and Seattle also have populations of "working homeless" who have been priced out of housing (particularly in Seattle due to condo conversions which San Fran had to cap on an annual basis) and don't make enough to get a place to live where they can still get to and from work. 

Sure, there are the "urban campers" but getting off the streets for the legit homeless is easier said than done.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 10:25:31 PM »
Agree. Dude was performing, using a skill few possess, for an hour.  Who would consider that begging?

Agreed.

A friend of mine is the front man for a local band. They play coffee shops, wine bars, beer places, etc. They work for tips, have the tip jar sitting right out there.

I'm not sure what the difference is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »

I know here in MKE there are NOT enough shelters. They advertise "Just call 211" of you need shelter. I know some who have been down on their luck that had to call 211 and were told every time that there were no room/beds available. Not very helpful when it's 10 degrees outside.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »
211 is a good resource, but it's very stressed. Understaffed, so when you call, expect very long wait times. They're good at what they do and can connect people with resources, but it's not a quick process.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »

Do you and the Orange Pig get together to decide what derogatory names you want to use for the day?

From now on, the only human whom I will associate with the term "gutter punk" is you.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
This thread has clearly gone off track.
But is the term gutter punk really offensive?  Seems like that's more of a philosophical lifestyle choice to me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
This thread has clearly gone off track.
But is the term gutter punk really offensive?  Seems like that's more of a philosophical lifestyle choice to me.

As Stretch used it, it was clearly meant to be. Having spent a good portion of my life hanging out in the punk community, I don't personally find it offensive, but I think it's one of those terms where the usage is perceived differently based on who's using it.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »
Does anyone know the typical schedule of a someone on a Mormon mission? Is playing basketball/training for an hour or two a day even possible? Just wondering if we should be expecting a 20y/old who's been working on his game for 2 years in private or a 20y/old who's going to need some time to shake the rust off to get back to a top 75 RSCI hs recruit level.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
This article is the best thing I found on the subject. There is some time set aside for working out, but missionaries are on a fixed food income ($200/month) so it's tough to have a solid nutritional diet, and also tough to get much time for exercise. Remember, the missionary must also stay together with his partner, so if the partner doesn't want to get up at 5:30 to get an extra hour in at the gym, the athlete also isn't getting that time.

Some of the other stuff I read was sort of hit or miss. Some athletes feel it helps, mostly from a maturity standpoint. Others seem to feel it hinders development because there isn't time to stay in shape and it is pretty much a complete break in your athletic education.