[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brendan Bailey Mission Update  (Read 20049 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Brendan Bailey Mission Update
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Brendan Bailey Mission Update
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
http://fox13now.com/2017/06/26/thurl-bailey-jr-dishes-an-assist-at-washingtons-union-station/

Came across my twitter feed, thought I would share.

The author should probably update his article with the most accurate information.  Bailey found a girl and married her on his mission and plans to follow in the footsteps of former Marquette basketball should've-been-star John "Magic" Dawson and play basketball at Liberty University in order to be close to his wife.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
A lot of Elders in that story.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
Looks straight out of The Book of Mormon stage play.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
I don't care if they're Mormon, Jew, Muslim, or atheist...I'm glad that Marquette recruits high quality people to represent the school on the big stage of college basketball.  It doesn't hurt if they can hoop a little bit too

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »
I don't care if they're Mormon, Jew, Muslim, or atheist...I'm glad that Marquette recruits high quality people to represent the school on the big stage of college basketball.  It doesn't hurt if they can hoop a little bit too

I'm sure TAMU got the original from the same place i did but just to go full circle.......Wojo agrees.....

Steve Wojciechowski‏Verified account
@steve_wojo

Steve Wojciechowski Retweeted FOX 13 News Utah
A terrific story on @brendanbailey35 whose outstanding talent on the floor is only exceeded by his character off it! Great job Brendan!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »
Sincerely hope the money given isn't spent on drugs and alcohol.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »

Worse, coffee.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »

yeah, maybe Brendan should have drug tested him first

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:33:33 PM »
We all have run into these scenerios. Depending on where you live, some more frequently than others. Personally, I very rarely give money. Rather, in a situation like Brendan's, I would have told the gentleman to wait right here while I go up to the cafeteria line and purchase something like  a sandwich, chips, and a beverage and hand it to him. I have done this on several occasions. Unfortunately, some have refused the meal insisting they have food, but as one put it, need money to "wash my clothes."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »
Looks straight out of The Book of Mormon stage play.

I couldn't help but chuckle at seeing the Elder mentions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »

While there are some people who panhandle to support an alcohol or drug habit, the vast majority don't. The most common thing panhandled money is used for is food. However, giving money directly to panhandlers is not the best way to help them as it only offers short term relief for immediate needs. Best option is to donate to various programs that help the homeless get off the street. Feed a man a fish and such.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »
Nice story. His heart's in the right place — but I never give money to anyone on the street. According to the Milwaukee Police Dept. and the District Attorney's Office, 70% of panhandlers aren't homeless. The Milwaukee Common Council suggests that giving to charity makes more of a difference.

http://milwaukeenns.org/2016/07/29/city-takes-stance-against-panhandling-with-keep-the-change-initiative/
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 03:56:39 PM »
"MU recruit gives to local Food Bank--after all it was the responsible thing to do."

I'm Guessing local Fox News wouldn't have jumped on that news story.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
That boy is not going to do ANYTHING for his neck size by eating crappy train station salads!
Todd Smith needs to stage an intervention!

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »
I couldn't help but chuckle at seeing the Elder mentions.

Shared a bus with a group of Mormon missionaries once. My buddy commented that it was weird they all had the same first name.....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:35:21 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mug644

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
We all have run into these scenerios. Depending on where you live, some more frequently than others. Personally, I very rarely give money. Rather, in a situation like Brendan's, I would have told the gentleman to wait right here while I go up to the cafeteria line and purchase something like  a sandwich, chips, and a beverage and hand it to him. I have done this on several occasions. Unfortunately, some have refused the meal insisting they have food, but as one put it, need money to "wash my clothes."

And what was your reason for not believing that person? Were you sure they didn't have food? Were you sure their clothes didn't need washing?

Sometimes our assumptions may not be correct.

Including mine about your assumptions.

To anticipate some reactions, I’m simply saying that we (and I am including myself) may make presumptions about the conditions and needs of people who are asking for our help. Our “guesses” as to what they need and/or what they might do with money we give them can demonstrate a degree of disrespect for that person. Why do we not take them at their word? How do we know what their real needs are? Why do we know better than they?

To complement an earlier comment, "Feed a man a fish and such,” I might say “walk a mile in his shoes and such”.

Both are useful sentiments.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:18:56 PM by mug644 »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »
yeah, maybe Brendan should have drug tested him first

I guess some people think we need to put conditions on our charitable giving :-\

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »
And what was your reason for not believing that person? Were you sure they didn't have food? Were you sure their clothes didn't need washing?

Sometimes our assumptions may not be correct.

Including mine about your assumptions.

To anticipate some reactions, I’m simply saying that we (and I am including myself) may make presumptions about the conditions and needs of people who are asking for our help. Our “guesses” as to what they need and/or what they might do with money we give them can demonstrate a degree of disrespect for that person. Why do we not take them at their word? How do we know what their real needs are? Why do we know better than they?

To complement an earlier comment, "Feed a man a fish and such,” I might say “walk a mile in his shoes and such”.

Both are useful sentiments.

I was at the Port Authority Bus Station in Manhattan and a stranger asked me for money. I asked him what for? He said he wasted to wash his clothes that he had in a bag he was carrying. I proceeded out the door and turned and told him to follow. Just around the corner was a laudromat and I walked in ready to pay to have his laundry washed. He just kept on walking. Another time I was in the city I gave a waitress Fifty and told her to let the lady have what ever she wants and pack her a sandwich for later and whatever was left over she could keep as a tip. They both were grateful. I was not assuming anything in each instance. I just did not want my money going for no good.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 07:11:52 PM »
I give money to the charities and give money to panhandlers.    I spend enough time running calls on the homeless that I am 100% aware of where the money might go to.   There are several whom I run on so often that we know each other on a first name basis and I know their drink of choice.   Meh.   I am throwing a couple of shekels to one of God's children.   What they do with it is between them and God. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 07:39:01 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I'm walking across the Wells Street bridge over the Milwaukee river. A clearly destitute dude in a wheelchair is rolling toward me.

"Sir, I peed myself and need bus fare to get home and change."  I rarely pull out the wallet for panhandlers, but this fella either dropped a drink in his lap or did indeed pee his drawers.  So I pull out my wallet and discover Mrs. Sir Lawrence must have taken a cash "loan" before I went to the office.  All is left is an oddball two dollar bill that is a gag from a sheepshead game. I give it to him and he yells at me after I drop it in his lap "sir, bus fare is two and a quarter!" 

All I could do was laugh.  But was he steamed.
Ludum habemus.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 07:54:16 PM »
Nice story. His heart's in the right place — but I never give money to anyone on the street. According to the Milwaukee Police Dept. and the District Attorney's Office, 70% of panhandlers aren't homeless. The Milwaukee Common Council suggests that giving to charity makes more of a difference.

http://milwaukeenns.org/2016/07/29/city-takes-stance-against-panhandling-with-keep-the-change-initiative/

Tons of legit reasons for not giving money to panhandlers and I know (and believe) them all. But I'm weak and a sucker - I give em money anyway.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 07:58:07 PM »
Some of y'all are so cynical. I agree with tower, if they use money they get from panhandling on the street for booze, that's there choice, I'm not bothered by that.

I'm mostly just surprised people still carry cash around. I haven't used anything but a debit card in at least a month.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »
Some of y'all are so cynical. I agree with tower, if they use money they get from panhandling on the street for booze, that's there choice, I'm not bothered by that.

I'm mostly just surprised people still carry cash around. I haven't used anything but a debit card in at least a month.

Man o' man, come back in 'bout 15 years when you have some seasonin' in ya. Bet you'll sing a different toone, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 08:30:49 PM »

Man o' man, come back in 'bout 15 years when you have some seasonin' in ya. Bet you'll sing a different toone, hey?

Probably not.