[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Packers fan sues Bears over dress code  (Read 7423 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Packers fan sues Bears over dress code
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »

Most NFL teams are profitable.  And the Bears make much less than they should.  Mostly due to the poor stadium deal that Dish references.

It is Bears management's fault they have such a bad deal.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
What is your point?

Yes, the Ricketts have MANAGED their asset (the team) properly and its value has gone up, both on the field and off the field.  This is the basic function of an owner.

The Bears lack such strong leadership which is why they are stuck with a crappy lease, in a crappy stadium (in my opinion), with a crappy product on the field.  Virginia is too old and not engaged.  George and Michael spend too much time arguing to get anything done.  So the Bears will remain rudderless wandering around until someone buys them for $2 billion ... and turns them into a $4 billion team in a decade as they will see and exploit business opportunities all over the place.

Water is blue and the sun rises in the east.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »
A couple of points about the Bears:

1) Until the Rams moved to Los Angeles, the Bears were located in the largest single-team market in the National Football League. The team is adored by the Chicago marketplace. Heck, the Bears probably drew more people to the 1985 Super Bowl party on LaSalle Street in -10 degree weather than the Cubs did last November.  The market opportunities are absolutely huge and the Bears still have enormous opportunity. Consider that 32 years after the Super Bowl, Mike Ditka is STILL a hot advertising commodity in Chicago. If this team ever got good again, wow!

2) If you do business with the City of Chicago, expect to get screwed. It's just that simple. If you don't want public aid to build your stadium, OK, you can have whatever lease you want. But when you go to the City of Chicago, you can expect a harsh and "where's mine" attitude. 

3) R2D2 was one of the shrewdest politicians I ever saw. Just like his ole man. When Mike McCaskey threatened to move to Northern Indiana, R2D2 doubled down by wishing him well and letting him know the City of Chicago would do all it could to obtain a replacement NFL franchise. Years earlier, the old man told George Halas when Halas threatened to move to Arlington Heights to call his team the "Arlington Heights Bears."

4) What seems to be unknown about the Bears is how much of the extended Halas/McCaskey family is living off Chicago Bear cash flow. If the team has a host of shirt-tail relatives whose livelihood depends on the cash flow from their small ownership of the family asset, then the amount of money that can be reinvested in the team is limited.

5) Don't kid yourself -- the Bears have to be profitable. The revenue is television, gate receipts, merchandise, radio, concessions and the expense is player salaries, office and support salaries, rental of Soldier Field, publicity, NFL dues and assessments and common fund payments from the League. This is not Major League Baseball or an NBA franchise in Oklahoma City, New Orleans or Milwaukee. This is the NFL -- the most popular sports league in the world.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »
I just wish this mofo would finish writing The Winds of Winter.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:08:05 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
F*ckin', dis a selfie, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »

When you go into someone else's house, you act respectful. If you wear Packer gear on Packer Sunday in Chicago, as I do, people respect that. But you do not expect to be treated  the same way a Bear fan would be treated by the Bears -- meaning you don't hold the Bear flag or greet the players.

Imagine what would happen if some Bear fan yokel came to Green Bay all dressed up as Brian Urlacher and tried to greet the Packers, hold the Packer flag or otherwise do things for which Packer fans would be entitled. I doubt the yokel would leave in one piece.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »
F*ckin', dis a selfie, hey?

Nah, here's me and Chitown.  I'm on the right.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 06:55:32 PM »
When you go into someone else's house, you act respectful.

Yes...but paying big money to go into a taxpayer-funded stadium is not remotely the same as going into someone's house.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »
Yes...but paying big money to go into a taxpayer-funded stadium is not remotely the same as going into someone's house.

Yes, but there is something called good manners. It may be a southern thing (right Chick?) but we behave ourselves and let our Bear brothers and sisters have their rituals. It doesn't matter whether you're in a publicly owned stadium or at someone's home, good manners are still good manners.

You and I both know what Miss Manners would tell her Gentle readers!

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »
Yes, but there is something called good manners. It may be a southern thing (right Chick?) but we behave ourselves and let our Bear brothers and sisters have their rituals. It doesn't matter whether you're in a publicly owned stadium or at someone's home, good manners are still good manners.

You and I both know what Miss Manners would tell her Gentle readers!

And even to that point, I could maybe give some leniency to him wearing a Packers polo or something, but the dude went completely obnoxious.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
A couple of points about the Bears:

1) Until the Rams moved to Los Angeles, the Bears were located in the largest single-team market in the National Football League. The team is adored by the Chicago marketplace. Heck, the Bears probably drew more people to the 1985 Super Bowl party on LaSalle Street in -10 degree weather than the Cubs did last November.  The market opportunities are absolutely huge and the Bears still have enormous opportunity. Consider that 32 years after the Super Bowl, Mike Ditka is STILL a hot advertising commodity in Chicago. If this team ever got good again, wow!

And that actually only lasted a year.  Who knows what kind of attention the Chargers will draw in LA, but the Bears are back as the team located in the largest single-team market.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »
And even to that point, I could maybe give some leniency to him wearing a Packers polo or something, but the dude went completely obnoxious.

And he did so after being told specifically by his host not to wear opposing team gear.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
And he did so after being told specifically by his host not to wear opposing team gear.

Yeah, when I first read the headline, I thought this was so stupid on the Bears' part.  This is just another one of those stories, that once you peel back a few layers of the onion and the facts start coming out, you realize how ridiculous this is.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »

Nice GRRM reference. 
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
Seems like the guy has already won though.  He obviously did this for attention wearing his over the top Packers stuff, and he has coverage not just in Illinois and Wisconsin, but also NY Daily News, LA Times, Bleacher Report, Yahoo Sports and others. 

Probably should just drop the lawsuit and call it a win.

feedback