[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Packers fan sues Bears over dress code  (Read 7361 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Packers fan sues Bears over dress code
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »
You think Bears ownership understands how pathetic their organisation has become?

Maybe back in the day, the Bears were a "Storied Franchise," now they are Jacksonville with crappy weather.

Packers fan sues Bears over dress code
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170619/BLOGS04/170619887/packers-fan-sues-bears-over-dress-code#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccb-breakingnews&utm_campaign=ccb-breakingnews-20170619

Packers fan and Bears season-ticket holder Russell Beckman, right, poses for a photo at a Packers-Tampa Bay Buccaneers game with his daughter. This photo is included in his lawsuit against the Bears.

Packers fan and Bears season-ticket holder Russell Beckman, right, poses for a photo at a Packers-Tampa Bay Buccaneers game with his daughter. This photo is included in his lawsuit against the Bears.

A Green Bay Packers fan is taking the Chicago Bears to court over his right to wear Packers apparel on the field during a pregame warmup session he had access to through the team's rewards system.

Wisconsin resident and Bears season-ticket holder Russell Beckman sued in federal court, seeking an order that the Bears let him don rival gear on game day. (You can read the suit at the end of this story.)

At issue is the team's policy for a season-ticket holder rewards program it launched in 2014. That "STH Experiences" system offers rewards points to longtime season-ticket holders that can be redeemed for a series of game-day experiences at Soldier Field.

Beckman, a Bears personal seat license and season-ticket holder since 2003, according to the suit, says in the complaint that he spent his rewards points in 2014 and 2015 on an offer to stand on the edge of the field during pregame warmups and wore Packers gear without any issue.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Packers fan sues Bears over dress code
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »
I agree the Bears should probably have just let it slide but it clearly stated that other team's apparel was not allowed for the event so I'm not sure what his lawsuit is for.

The bigger question is why is a Packer fan wasting money on Bears season tickets?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
If the Bears were really the Jaguars, they'd be moving to London in 5 years instead of Jacksonville.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »
If the Bears were really the Jaguars, they'd be moving to London in 5 years instead of Jacksonville.

When Virginia McCaskey, now 94, dies ...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »
The bigger question is why is a Packer fan wasting money on Bears season tickets?

I too am a die-hard Green Bay Packers fan with Bears season tickets.

I hold my Bears Tickets because:

1) I like semi-pro football.
2) Waiting for seats at Lambeau is an investment for my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandchildren.
3) I get two seats at the 45 yard line for the Packers game every year (boy that was a winner last December).
4) I believe in family owned businesses, even if the family is collectively, idiots.
5) I enjoy giving my money to the City of Chicago for an absurdly priced parking spot.
6) There is nothing finer than to fight Sunday afternoon traffic home from the most poorly located stadium in America.
7) Someday the Bears will be good again and I can sell the tickets I don't use for an absurd premium.
8) The Bears are loveable losers.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
I agree the Bears should probably have just let it slide but it clearly stated that other team's apparel was not allowed for the event so I'm not sure what his lawsuit is for.

Then last season, he used his rewards points again for the pregame warm-up offer for the Bears-Packers game in December. A few days before, he got an email from the team with details for the experience that said "no opposing team gear would be allowed."

After trading emails with Bears ticket employees who reiterated the policy as written in the terms and conditions of the offer, Beckman showed up anyway and was denied access to the field, the suit alleges.

Case closed.

Granted, he argues that it's a public venue so he should be able to wear whatever he wants. Nothing more than a money-grab lawsuit.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
When Virginia McCaskey, now 94, dies ...

Virginia still runs the team? Need to me.

I am not saying the Bears are a well run organisation at the moment, hell I dont expect a sniff of a  playoff birth for at least 3 more seasons but they aint the Jags.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:55:36 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »
Virginia still runs the team? Need to me.

I am not saying the Bears are a well-run organisation at the moment, hell I dont expect a sniff of a  playoff birth for at least 3 more seasons but they aint the Jags.

No, her sons George and Michael are running the team (into the ground).

Word is the majority of the McCaskey Clan wants to sell for the reported $1.5 to $2 billion-ish the team can fetch.  But, for now, the ownership of the team is in Virginia's hands and she is not interested in selling.

Once she passes on, the ownership of the team transfers to several family members and getting a majority to sell is a realistic possibility.

At that point, call Tom Ricketts (Cubs owner) as he is interested.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 08:07:02 PM »
I too am a die-hard Green Bay Packers fan with Bears season tickets.

I hold my Bears Tickets because:

1) I like semi-pro football.
2) Waiting for seats at Lambeau is an investment for my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandchildren.
3) I get two seats at the 45 yard line for the Packers game every year (boy that was a winner last December).
4) I believe in family owned businesses, even if the family is collectively, idiots.
5) I enjoy giving my money to the City of Chicago for an absurdly priced parking spot.
6) There is nothing finer than to fight Sunday afternoon traffic home from the most poorly located stadium in America.
7) Someday the Bears will be good again and I can sell the tickets I don't use for an absurd premium.
8) The Bears are loveable losers.

9) The Bears still stink.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
First sign that this is a dumb article.

No one calls himself a "Packers fan".  It's "Packer fan". 

It's a Wisconsin rule, just like going to the Brewer game or wearing a Badger t-shirt.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »
No, her sons George and Michael are running the team (into the ground).

Word is the majority of the McCaskey Clan wants to sell for the reported $1.5 to $2 billion-ish the team can fetch.  But, for now, the ownership of the team is in Virginia's hands and she is not interested in selling.

Once she passes on, the ownership of the team transfers to several family members and getting a majority to sell is a realistic possibility.

At that point, call Tom Ricketts (Cubs owner) as he is interested.

Unless Ricketts sells the Cubs or he and his siblings have another trust, he's not buying the Bears.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 11:09:28 PM »
Unless Ricketts sells the Cubs or he and his siblings have another trust, he's not buying the Bears.

He can raise the money in five minutes.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 11:25:29 PM »
I can say with almost 100% accuracy, there is a 0.0% chance of the Ricketts family buying the Bears.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 04:09:18 AM »
I can say with almost 100% accuracy, there is a 0.0% chance of the Ricketts family buying the Bears.

Correct. I believe the rules of the National Football League do not allow for this.

Here's the bigger question: Would Mark Cuban buy the Chicago Bears. THAT would be fun!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

The NFL has a rule banning MLB owners from buying a NFL teams?

And before you rule out Ricketts, answer this ... name the English Football (soccer) team did they own (yes they did)?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:24:20 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 09:11:27 PM »
Correct. I believe the rules of the National Football League do not allow for this.

Here's the bigger question: Would Mark Cuban buy the Chicago Bears. THAT would be fun!

Cuban is the catch-all answer when one cannot name anyone else that would be interested.

9 NFL teams have changed hands since he first expressed an interest in the Cubs (and never followed-through) and his name has never even remotely came up.  He's never going to buy an NFL team.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »
The NFL has a rule banning MLB owners from buying a NFL teams?

And before you rule out Ricketts, answer this ... name the English Football (soccer) team did they own (yes they did)?

Has nothing to do with NFL/MLB rules. After Virginia passes, the McCaskey's may have little say in who owns the team. Patrick Ryan will end up as the principal owner, and work out some equity deal with the family in my opinion.

Any sale now wouldn't benefit an outside owner looking for any ROI, not with the awful lease the Bears have. I'd expect the Ryan family to own the team through 2030, and then sell.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 10:37:26 PM »
Has nothing to do with NFL/MLB rules. After Virginia passes, the McCaskey's may have little say in who owns the team. Patrick Ryan will end up as the principal owner, and work out some equity deal with the family in my opinion.

Any sale now wouldn't benefit an outside owner looking for any ROI, not with the awful lease the Bears have. I'd expect the Ryan family to own the team through 2030, and then sell.

All correct except Pat is 80 years old himself.  So we are waiting for the 94 year old to pass so the 80 year old can take over.

What happens when both are gone?

And no one that buys an NFL cares about ROI.  It's all about asset value.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 11:16:03 PM »
All correct except Pat is 80 years old himself.  So we are waiting for the 94 year old to pass so the 80 year old can take over.

What happens when both are gone?

And no one that buys an NFL cares about ROI.  It's all about asset value.

Pat Ryan isn't worth a couple billion for nothing, I'm sure his estate will figure out bequeathing ownership to his kids upon his passing. He's set up to do that, the McCaskeys are not.

I don't know what else to say on the ROI. If you don't understand the business side of the horrendous lease the Bears have, and the politics of Chicago, I don't want to take the time to explain it here. What magical revenue streams are going to be injected to increase the asset value of the Bears between now and 2033, after someone pays between $1.2 - $1.5 billion?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 12:28:09 AM »
Pat Ryan isn't worth a couple billion for nothing, I'm sure his estate will figure out bequeathing ownership to his kids upon his passing. He's set up to do that, the McCaskeys are not.

I don't know what else to say on the ROI. If you don't understand the business side of the horrendous lease the Bears have, and the politics of Chicago, I don't want to take the time to explain it here. What magical revenue streams are going to be injected to increase the asset value of the Bears between now and 2033, after someone pays between $1.2 - $1.5 billion?

I am not sure Pat has a lot of ownership to bequeath within his legacy wishes, which is why he gives it all away. Very strong supporter of special needs. High character Catholic couple. He lives his faith.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:41:15 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 06:42:11 AM »

First as Blackheart noted, Ryan is a minority owner, the Halas/MaCaskeys are the majority owner.  When Pat and Virginia pass, the ownership of the bears will be spread among many squabbling Halas/MaCaskey and Ryan family members, many who don't like each other.  Without a strong family member emerging to run the team (see Tom Ricketts) we will look back at the last few years of the bears as the period of stability. 

Again Virginia is 94 and Pat is 80 and they are still running the team.  That tells us no family member is emerging to take over otherwise they would have by now.

So when they both pass, the league will give the family a few years to come up with a plan or force them to sell.

Regarding ROI - Sports franchise are like high-end art sold at Sothebys.  They are all made up numbers.  So the Bears have a crappy lease, that will not affect the sale price of the team at all.  The MaCaskey/Ryans will get the same (made up) price if they had a good lease or a bad lease.

Most sports teams don't make money.  You buy them at some nose-bleed level (see Ricketts paying $725 million for the Cubs in 2009) only to see their value go up (Forbes now says the Cubs are worth $1.5 to $2.0 billion).  So if your asset increase by $1 billion in less than 10 years, why are you wasting your time worrying about leases and ROI.  It's about ROA.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:51:17 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »
First as Blackheart noted, Ryan is a minority owner, the Halas/MaCaskeys are the majority owner.  When Pat and Virginia pass, the ownership of the bears will be spread among many squabbling Halas/MaCaskey and Ryan family members, many who don't like each other.  Without a strong family member emerging to run the team (see Tom Ricketts) we will look back at the last few years of the bears as the period of stability. 

Again Virginia is 94 and Pat is 80 and they are still running the team.  That tells us no family member is emerging to take over otherwise they would have by now.

So when they both pass, the league will give the family a few years to come up with a plan or force them to sell.

Regarding ROI - Sports franchise are like high-end art sold at Sothebys.  They are all made up numbers.  So the Bears have a crappy lease, that will not affect the sale price of the team at all.  The MaCaskey/Ryans will get the same (made up) price if they had a good lease or a bad lease.

Most sports teams don't make money.  You buy them at some nose-bleed level (see Ricketts paying $725 million for the Cubs in 2009) only to see their value go up (Forbes now says the Cubs are worth $1.5 to $2.0 billion).  So if your asset increase by $1 billion in less than 10 years, why are you wasting your time worrying about leases and ROI.  It's about ROA.

Most NFL teams are profitable.  And the Bears make much less than they should.  Mostly due to the poor stadium deal that Dish references.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »

I'm sure the value of the Cubs going up had nothing to do with stadium renovations (corporate signage, significant increases in premium seating), local media rights deals expiring, purchasing property around the stadium and turning it into significant revenue streams. I'm sure any new Bears owner will have zero trouble negotiating those changes to Soldier Field before 2033, city of Chicago typically caters to that kind of stuff. Heck, the Ricketts family had a cakewalk of a time negotiating with the city for Wrigley.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
I'm sure the value of the Cubs going up had nothing to do with stadium renovations (corporate signage, significant increases in premium seating), local media rights deals expiring, purchasing property around the stadium and turning it into significant revenue streams. I'm sure any new Bears owner will have zero trouble negotiating those changes to Soldier Field before 2033, city of Chicago typically caters to that kind of stuff. Heck, the Ricketts family had a cakewalk of a time negotiating with the city for Wrigley.

What is your point?

Yes, the Ricketts have MANAGED their asset (the team) properly and its value has gone up, both on the field and off the field.  This is the basic function of an owner.

The Bears lack such strong leadership which is why they are stuck with a crappy lease, in a crappy stadium (in my opinion), with a crappy product on the field.  Virginia is too old and not engaged.  George and Michael spend too much time arguing to get anything done.  So the Bears will remain rudderless wandering around until someone buys them for $2 billion ... and turns them into a $4 billion team in a decade as they will see and exploit business opportunities all over the place.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »

Most NFL teams are profitable.  And the Bears make much less than they should.  Mostly due to the poor stadium deal that Dish references.

It is Bears management's fault they have such a bad deal.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
What is your point?

Yes, the Ricketts have MANAGED their asset (the team) properly and its value has gone up, both on the field and off the field.  This is the basic function of an owner.

The Bears lack such strong leadership which is why they are stuck with a crappy lease, in a crappy stadium (in my opinion), with a crappy product on the field.  Virginia is too old and not engaged.  George and Michael spend too much time arguing to get anything done.  So the Bears will remain rudderless wandering around until someone buys them for $2 billion ... and turns them into a $4 billion team in a decade as they will see and exploit business opportunities all over the place.

Water is blue and the sun rises in the east.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »
A couple of points about the Bears:

1) Until the Rams moved to Los Angeles, the Bears were located in the largest single-team market in the National Football League. The team is adored by the Chicago marketplace. Heck, the Bears probably drew more people to the 1985 Super Bowl party on LaSalle Street in -10 degree weather than the Cubs did last November.  The market opportunities are absolutely huge and the Bears still have enormous opportunity. Consider that 32 years after the Super Bowl, Mike Ditka is STILL a hot advertising commodity in Chicago. If this team ever got good again, wow!

2) If you do business with the City of Chicago, expect to get screwed. It's just that simple. If you don't want public aid to build your stadium, OK, you can have whatever lease you want. But when you go to the City of Chicago, you can expect a harsh and "where's mine" attitude. 

3) R2D2 was one of the shrewdest politicians I ever saw. Just like his ole man. When Mike McCaskey threatened to move to Northern Indiana, R2D2 doubled down by wishing him well and letting him know the City of Chicago would do all it could to obtain a replacement NFL franchise. Years earlier, the old man told George Halas when Halas threatened to move to Arlington Heights to call his team the "Arlington Heights Bears."

4) What seems to be unknown about the Bears is how much of the extended Halas/McCaskey family is living off Chicago Bear cash flow. If the team has a host of shirt-tail relatives whose livelihood depends on the cash flow from their small ownership of the family asset, then the amount of money that can be reinvested in the team is limited.

5) Don't kid yourself -- the Bears have to be profitable. The revenue is television, gate receipts, merchandise, radio, concessions and the expense is player salaries, office and support salaries, rental of Soldier Field, publicity, NFL dues and assessments and common fund payments from the League. This is not Major League Baseball or an NBA franchise in Oklahoma City, New Orleans or Milwaukee. This is the NFL -- the most popular sports league in the world.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »
I just wish this mofo would finish writing The Winds of Winter.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:08:05 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
F*ckin', dis a selfie, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »

When you go into someone else's house, you act respectful. If you wear Packer gear on Packer Sunday in Chicago, as I do, people respect that. But you do not expect to be treated  the same way a Bear fan would be treated by the Bears -- meaning you don't hold the Bear flag or greet the players.

Imagine what would happen if some Bear fan yokel came to Green Bay all dressed up as Brian Urlacher and tried to greet the Packers, hold the Packer flag or otherwise do things for which Packer fans would be entitled. I doubt the yokel would leave in one piece.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »
F*ckin', dis a selfie, hey?

Nah, here's me and Chitown.  I'm on the right.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 06:55:32 PM »
When you go into someone else's house, you act respectful.

Yes...but paying big money to go into a taxpayer-funded stadium is not remotely the same as going into someone's house.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »
Yes...but paying big money to go into a taxpayer-funded stadium is not remotely the same as going into someone's house.

Yes, but there is something called good manners. It may be a southern thing (right Chick?) but we behave ourselves and let our Bear brothers and sisters have their rituals. It doesn't matter whether you're in a publicly owned stadium or at someone's home, good manners are still good manners.

You and I both know what Miss Manners would tell her Gentle readers!

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »
Yes, but there is something called good manners. It may be a southern thing (right Chick?) but we behave ourselves and let our Bear brothers and sisters have their rituals. It doesn't matter whether you're in a publicly owned stadium or at someone's home, good manners are still good manners.

You and I both know what Miss Manners would tell her Gentle readers!

And even to that point, I could maybe give some leniency to him wearing a Packers polo or something, but the dude went completely obnoxious.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
A couple of points about the Bears:

1) Until the Rams moved to Los Angeles, the Bears were located in the largest single-team market in the National Football League. The team is adored by the Chicago marketplace. Heck, the Bears probably drew more people to the 1985 Super Bowl party on LaSalle Street in -10 degree weather than the Cubs did last November.  The market opportunities are absolutely huge and the Bears still have enormous opportunity. Consider that 32 years after the Super Bowl, Mike Ditka is STILL a hot advertising commodity in Chicago. If this team ever got good again, wow!

And that actually only lasted a year.  Who knows what kind of attention the Chargers will draw in LA, but the Bears are back as the team located in the largest single-team market.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »
And even to that point, I could maybe give some leniency to him wearing a Packers polo or something, but the dude went completely obnoxious.

And he did so after being told specifically by his host not to wear opposing team gear.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
And he did so after being told specifically by his host not to wear opposing team gear.

Yeah, when I first read the headline, I thought this was so stupid on the Bears' part.  This is just another one of those stories, that once you peel back a few layers of the onion and the facts start coming out, you realize how ridiculous this is.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »

Nice GRRM reference. 
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
Seems like the guy has already won though.  He obviously did this for attention wearing his over the top Packers stuff, and he has coverage not just in Illinois and Wisconsin, but also NY Daily News, LA Times, Bleacher Report, Yahoo Sports and others. 

Probably should just drop the lawsuit and call it a win.

feedback