[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Rules Change - Coach's Box  (Read 4851 times)

g0lden3agle

• All American
NCAA Rules Change - Coach's Box
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »
Sorry if this was in another thread, but with the coach's box extending 10 feet does this mean our defensive rotations will be that much better when we're playing on the opposite side of the court?  Wasn't that a prevailing theory for why our defense was so vastly different half to half?

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-06-14/college-basketball-mens-basketball-coachs-box-grows-10-feet

cheebs09

• All American
Re: NCAA Rules Change - Coach's Box
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
I remember the year they enforced the rule. That lasted about half a season. Seems like a silly thing that the NCAA has been focused on.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
Lol. When was the coaching box ever enforced? I remember one game Buzz was literally halfway to the circle in center court

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
Lol. When was the coaching box ever enforced? I remember one game Buzz was literally halfway to the circle in center court

Exactly.  Now with another 10 feet to play with it'll just be like any normal practice with Wojo shouting at the players from center court.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »
It was Crean's last year. I forget the game, but they had a "Coach's Box" cam that was in the corner. I think it may have been Maui. It was super annoying.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »
I've always been struck at the difference between college coaches, who seem to be continuously yelling something, and NBA coaches, who are largely sitting back and letting the players play.

I wonder if college coaches would be better off just calming down a little.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
I've always been struck at the difference between college coaches, who seem to be continuously yelling something, and NBA coaches, who are largely sitting back and letting the players play.

I think it is mostly theatrics for many at this point. You're not really coaching, unless you're sweating thru your suit. And not to be a homer, Wojo is definitely in that mix.

When a coach is barking all game, every game, I have to think that the players tune it out after awhile.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »

Probably somewhere in between is the answer since there a lot of less experienced kids in college bball.  Those times I had good seats watching Marquette when Crean coached was eye opening.  Crean was constantly yelling at them on offense and they must have spent 5-8 seconds every possession trying to figure out where to be in Crean sets.  Seemed way over the top and a waste.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »

Remembering the time that Buzz slipped at Villanova and fell backward out of the box. Either the ref called him for out of the box or grandstanding...when in reality, it was Buzz being the Buzzer.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »

This. Plus the "college players are inexperienced" argument doesn't work when a college coach is screaming at his 22-year-old seniors while an NBA coach is fine to let his 19-year-old lottery pick run the show.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 04:45:43 AM »

Well, NBA coaches have almost 3 times as many games to coach, and their players should be better prepared since they are concentrating only on basketball.  While college players have to split their attention between basketball and school and can't be as well prepared going into games.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 06:20:04 AM »
This. Plus the "college players are inexperienced" argument doesn't work when a college coach is screaming at his 22-year-old seniors while an NBA coach is fine to let his 19-year-old lottery pick run the show.
But there is a reason why that 19 year old was a lottery pick while the 22 year old senior is still playing college hoops, hey?
Goal is National Championship

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
Well, NBA coaches have almost 3 times as many games to coach, and their players should be better prepared since they are concentrating only on basketball.  While college players have to split their attention between basketball and school and can't be as well prepared going into games.

Or college coaches are extreme control freaks.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »

Or college coaches are extreme control freaks.

Or just about every game matters in college basketball...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
Have you watched the NBA playoffs?  Coaches aren't yelling and giving directions every play. 

It's just a different method.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
Have you watched the NBA playoffs?  Coaches aren't yelling and giving directions every play. 

Probably just a reflection of the skill level of the NBA pros.  A different game.  Golden State did not miss Steve Kerr at all.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »

Thibs? Saw Kerr get Teed up in the playoffs with more than a few fights. It's 82 regular season games where regression to the mean takes over. And then there is the Union whose more influential members pick the coach. It's a Players' League.

Back in the day, Chuck Daly, Doug Collins, VanGundy?

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
Thibs? Saw Kerr get Teed up in the playoffs with more than a few fights. It's 82 regular season games where regression to the mean takes over. And then there is the Union whose more influential members pick the coach. It's a Players' League.

Back in the day, Chuck Daly, Doug Collins, VanGundy?

agree.  many players today also have ego issues and yelling to remind them of basics might result in more Sprewell-type reactions or loss of jobs.  I think NBA couches have a better understanding of 'leadership' and 'motivation' than at the college level..., out of necessity.   

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
Lots of good points why college coaches are more "instructive" during game play.  I wonder if another factor is the 24 second shot clock?  Can you imagine Crean yelling about sets on offense and wasting a precious 5-8 seconds when you only have 24 seconds to run an offense?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »
In the NBA the players make more than the coach and can get him fired.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »
The link included other two changes I found interesting:

1)A legal screen was redefined to require that the inside of the screener’s feet be no wider than his shoulders.

1) Big men setting a high post screen ....both for better balance and also to add width to the screen...regularly plant feet wider than their shoulders. For some guys planting within the shoulder plane will be a challenge. I wonder if this will be called...it will impact pick and rolls, too...its harder to break fast into the roll when you start with your feet within the shoulder plane

2)The cylinder rule was adjusted to allow more freedom of movement for the offense. If a defensive player straddles an offensive player’s leg in a way that prohibits him from making a normal basketball move — which now includes pivoting — contact that creates a common foul will be called on the defensive player.

2) defensively...post men are taught to extend one leg across the leg of his opponent to "lock him down" . Now just doing that could be a common foul...I wonder if they call it only when ball is in opponents hands or even when its away from ball...it could really back off post lock ups if enforced

In both cases it will be interesting especially early on to see how it is called as points of emphasis
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:17:30 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:48 PM »
The link included other two changes I found interesting:

1)A legal screen was redefined to require that the inside of the screener’s feet be no wider than his shoulders.

1) Big men setting a high post screen ....both for better balance and also to add width to the screen...regularly plant feet wider than their shoulders. For some guys planting within the shoulder plane will be a challenge. I wonder if this will be called...it will impact pick and rolls, too...its harder to break fast into the roll when you start with your feet within the shoulder plane

2)The cylinder rule was adjusted to allow more freedom of movement for the offense. If a defensive player straddles an offensive player’s leg in a way that prohibits him from making a normal basketball move — which now includes pivoting — contact that creates a common foul will be called on the defensive player.

2) defensively...post men are taught to extend one leg across the leg of his opponent to "lock him down" . Now just doing that could be a common foul...I wonder if they call it only when ball is in opponents hands or even when its away from ball...it could really back off post lock ups if enforced

In both cases it will be interesting especially early on to see how it is called as points of emphasis

WI will have a big adjustment to make, they make most of their contact with their legs.  F the badgers.

feedback