[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Tbt  (Read 56670 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Tbt
« Reply #300 on: July 25, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
A few scattered thoughts on the TBT's Golden Eagles ...

When we couldn't get a fastbreak going or couldn't get the ball in to Davante, our offense was pretty frustrating to watch all tournament long. Our guards would just dribble awhile and then jack up a shot. Sometimes it went in, but often it didn't. When Davante wasn't involved, it was kind of a "worst of the NBA" offense much of the time.

Buycks apparently did well during the summer league. I didn't see one second of it, so I'll take others' word on it. But I did see all 4 TBT games, and he was mostly bad, and occasionally awful. If I had to take one MU guard based on the TBT, it would have been DJO. He was tough on D and he made some big shots. Buycks mostly dribbled between his legs for 15 seconds and then chucked up fade-away 3-pointers. He didn't go to the hoop very often and hardly ever set up his teammates. I was amazed he spent any time in the NBA when he got up there last time, and I'd be amazed again if anybody would take him.

Though I've doubted Jamil has a real chance at the NBA, in part because I don't think he's as good an athlete as his body type would suggest, I do think that if he could be a 40% 3-point shooter some team would find a spot for him. He's a good enough athlete to hang in against many NBAers, and every team needs shooting. His stroke looked good, even when the shots didn't go in. I can see why the Clippers are taking a flier on him.

Loved watching Davante's work in the first 3 games. Still so fun to watch. But given that Sullinger pretty much dominated him, I'm guessing that Dirk still isn't in fear of Davante.

Along with Buycks, pretty unimpressed with Jerel and can see why he hasn't gotten a sniff from the NBA. Yet another example of a very good college player who isn't good enough for the NBA. This just in: It's hard to be a pro!

Aside from Davante and DJO, I was most impressed with three role players: Mo, Juan and Trend. Watching Trend in this tournament, I'm surprised he could hardly get on the court during his time at MU. I really don't remember much about his time there. Was he hurt? Or could he simply not play back then? Too skinny maybe? He has length and pretty darn good timing on defense, and his shot isn't bad. Mo helped the team every time he was on the court, and Juan definitely provided a spark.

Good post. Small note, Jerel did play in the NBA. Not good enough at this point, but he did play in 6 games in 2015

MU82

• All American
« Reply #301 on: July 25, 2017, 09:36:38 PM »
Good post. Small note, Jerel did play in the NBA. Not good enough at this point, but he did play in 6 games in 2015

Thanks. I sit corrected.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #302 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37:53 PM »
I thought they showed a graphic on the screen of one of the games highlighting some of the rules for TBT and I thought one of them was that current NBA players were not allowed.  I could be completely wrong on that though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter