[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Is The NBA Finally Ready To Change The One-and-Done Rule?  (Read 10568 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Is The NBA Finally Ready To Change The One-and-Done Rule?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 07:45:13 AM »
If the players and the NBAPA want it and the NBA owners want it it will happen. The NBAPA isn't going to pass up on something they consider to be a positive just because the owners want it. They'll ask for something they might be able to get in return.

I think the NBAPA and the players care (a lot) more than you think about current and future players.

In my experience, people with power and privilege prioritize keeping their power and privilege even if its at the expense of others. In this situation, there are three groups, owners, current players, and future players. I believe "two and through" would benefit both the owners and current players at the expense of the future players. The only ones without a seat at the table is future players. Usually the group without a seat at the table gets the shaft.

As for the blocking something just because the owners want it? That's just the way business works now. Never give up something the other side wants more than you without getting something in return. How many bills pass through congress unanimously?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 08:21:29 AM »
The problem with that is NBA teams would be even less likely to draft seniors.  Even if the player is great, you might only have them for one year.  What is the incentive?

Why should anyone care if they draft seniors versus anyone else?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »
A big part of Kentucky's recruiting model is that their one and dones never have to go to class. That becomes a lot harder to do when players have to stay for multiple years. And while Kentucky gets to keep their players, it also forces more talented players to go to other schools because of finite scholarships and not wanting to play behind talented 2nd years. No one would be more devastated by the end of one and dones than Coach Cal.

Is it? Even though they're one & done, don't they have to leave school in good academic standing or else the APR score tanks and they lose a bunch of scholarships? Freely admit I may be thinking about this wrong.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
Is it? Even though they're one & done, don't they have to leave school in good academic standing or else the APR score tanks and they lose a bunch of scholarships? Freely admit I may be thinking about this wrong.

Its very easy with one year players to fill their schedules with study halls, independent studies, and physical education classes. In other words, all their class time is spent in the gym. I'm also not completely sure on this, but if a player leaves a semester early to get drafted, I don't think hurts the APR or doesn't hurt it as much. Many seniors who intend to go pro and most one and dones leave school as soon as the season is over to start preparing. If that hurts the APR, I don't know how Kentucky stays a float. So its really just about making sure they are taken care of for one semester.
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2017, 10:18:27 AM »

Why should anyone care if they draft seniors versus anyone else?

Nobody. That wasn't my point.

The theory presented was that  basing free agency start time on HS class would benefit college basketball, while also benefitting players by letting them get to the second contract at a set time.  Someone like Henry Ellenson could stay in college 2-3 years, play more, improve, and still be in line for a 2nd contract at the same time as a one and done or HS to pros player.

However, there is still the lost income from those college years and the risk of hurting your draft stock by not developing.  So there really isn't much of an incentive in staying anyway.

Further more, players like Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, and Draymond Green are hurt.  As seniors, the proposed system would have them free agents after one year.  What team is going to want to draft a player that they only have control of for one year? Plus, these players are basically given a make or break rookie season rather than having a few years to develop.  Late bloomers that play 4 years of college and develop in their 2nd or 3rd NBA season would probably be in Europe after 1 season and they may never get that shot again. These players would be collateral damage.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »
I'm also not completely sure on this, but if a player leaves a semester early to get drafted, I don't think hurts the APR or doesn't hurt it as much. Many seniors who intend to go pro and most one and dones leave school as soon as the season is over to start preparing. If that hurts the APR, I don't know how Kentucky stays a float. So its really just about making sure they are taken care of for one semester.

This is incorrect. If a kid stops going to class once the season ends, the impact on the team's APR is the same as if in January, the player committed mass murders and was locked up.

Need to finish the semester. Kentucky sets that expectation with incoming guys. Now, they probably make it as easy as possible, but it must be done (relative to APR).
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
This is incorrect. If a kid stops going to class once the season ends, the impact on the team's APR is the same as if in January, the player committed mass murders and was locked up.

Need to finish the semester. Kentucky sets that expectation with incoming guys. Now, they probably make it as easy as possible, but it must be done (relative to APR).
That, and KY probably provides as much training assistance as guys might get elsewhere?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »

Thought so. Thanks Jaybee & TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »

Appreciate the assist. I'm amazed that places like Kentucky can manage to keep their APR in range.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
In my experience, people with power and privilege prioritize keeping their power and privilege even if its at the expense of others. In this situation, there are three groups, owners, current players, and future players. I believe "two and through" would benefit both the owners and current players at the expense of the future players. The only ones without a seat at the table is future players. Usually the group without a seat at the table gets the shaft.

As for the blocking something just because the owners want it? That's just the way business works now. Never give up something the other side wants more than you without getting something in return. How many bills pass through congress unanimously?

The latter is my basic point. Could the sides agree to discuss this before the next contract (which doesn't even take effect until Saturday) is up in 2022-23? Sure. Could they decide to change the rules before 2022-23? I guess, but only if the owners agree to give up something substantial in return. How badly do the owners want an end to 1-and-dones? I'm guessing not all that badly.

I do disagree with your insistence that the NBAPA doesn't care about players entering the league. You don't know that, nor do you have proof of that. I'd argue that the NBAPA has consistently given strong consideration to those players in the language it has insisted be part of the CBA. It would have been easy for 10-year veterans to throw college players under the bus and say, "We'll do it like the NFL; see you after your third year." But they haven't, and listening to NBAPA leaders talk, they feel no need to mandate a second year of college, either.

Neither of us has "proof" about how much NBA veterans give a rat's rump about college players/potential rookies. But the NBAPA's actions suggest more than the total disregard you say they have.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson