[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Erin Hills  (Read 17509 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: Erin Hills
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »
Has anyone tried parking in the neighborhoods near the course? I took the shuttle yesterday, and while it wasn't a bad experience, it added a bunch of time on to the day.
I met some friends at the course today. I got dropped off at Erin School, ten minute walk. Drove passed some of the neighborhood parking. Some wanted $40, some closer to school only wanted $20. I got dropped off without any issues. From the time they parked at red lot and got to first hole it took them two hours on shuttle. My biggest concern at this point about parking in neighborhood drives is getting out of town at the end of the day on the two lane road. Still considering it on Sunday though.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 12:12:36 AM »
I admit it .. I don't understand Erin Hills.  No trees, no water.  I just don't get it.  Ok, though, some people think it's awesome. 

What's with the blotchy greens? 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2017, 08:07:07 AM »
Has anyone tried parking in the neighborhoods near the course? I took the shuttle yesterday, and while it wasn't a bad experience, it added a bunch of time on to the day.

I'm kinda thinking this too. Wednesday shuttles were great, but hearing some horror stories from yesterday.

Leaving on the shuttles Sunday is going to be a nightmare, IMO.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
I admit it .. I don't understand Erin Hills.  No trees, no water.  I just don't get it.  Ok, though, some people think it's awesome. 

What's with the blotchy greens?

Trees and water are a course architect's crutch. 

Asking for trees and water on a golf course is tantamount to asking for A-1 sauce at a five-star steakhouse.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »
The rolling terrain and wind is Erin Hills defense.  You don't find natural terrain like it often.   It should play easy today, with the overnight rains making it easy for these guys to throw darts. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2017, 08:48:02 AM »
One of the thing the USGA LOVES about it is how perfectly natural it is.  Almost no dirt was moved to create it. The terrain is natural Wisconsin Kettle Moraine and, as others have mentioned, is an effective natural defense for the course.  Plus, given the fauna selection (the fescue), it requires relatively little water compared to some manicured 'lawn'.  Golf the way it was invented 500 years ago in Scotland and Ireland.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2017, 08:51:51 AM »
The rolling terrain and wind is Erin Hills defense.  You don't find natural terrain like it often.   It should play easy today, with the overnight rains making it easy for these guys to throw darts.

Let's hope the wind kicks up. That's the expectation for Sunday. And as we all know, she's a huge risk/reward course. Play properly, score well. Spray and shoot 78.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »
And let's all remember that the freakin' Ryder Cup will be at Whistling Straits in 2020. Seriously guys, Wisconsin has become 'destination golf', recognized around the world.  An absolute showcase for our state.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »

Asking for trees and water on a golf course is tantamount to asking for A-1 sauce at a five-star steakhouse.

Yes.  Augusta National is the Ponderosa of golf courses.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
And let's all remember that the freakin' Ryder Cup will be at Whistling Straits in 2020. Seriously guys, Wisconsin has become 'destination golf', recognized around the world.  An absolute showcase for our state.

Hoo new Erin Hills and da Straights are in IL, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »

Hoo new Erin Hills and da Straights are in IL, hey?

Hey, I only live here.  Wisconsin is 'home' forever.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »
Scores reminding me of the GMO back in the day.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »
Scores reminding me of the GMO back in the day.

At Tuckaway or Brown Deer?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »

Bunkers aren't?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2017, 06:54:11 PM »
BTW, I like Fox's coverage.  I know how spotty it was when they first started covering the US Open, but they have really stepped up.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2017, 07:02:52 PM »
Yeah, and could Holly Sonders' implants bee any bigger, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »
More rain, more low scores tomorrow.    My money is on Fowler.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
Holly Sonders has it cookin', aiianna????

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 09:14:15 PM »
More rain, more low scores tomorrow.    My money is on Fowler.   

God, I'd love this.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »

Yes.  Augusta National is the Ponderosa of golf courses.

Augusta is an interesting study. It's not overly difficult tee to green, but the greens are consistently more difficult to protect the course. As far as golf course architecture goes, I believe it's far from the best. It's the beauty, pageantry and massive amount of investment in maintenance that makes Augusta.

That being said, I'd play there in a heart beat.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »
I'm kinda thinking this too. Wednesday shuttles were great, but hearing some horror stories from yesterday.

Leaving on the shuttles Sunday is going to be a nightmare, IMO.

Paid $30 to park across from Erin School. 10 minute walk to the course, and was able to get out easily. Definitely worth it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »

Still a big disappointment - one of the easiest Open courses ever.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »
I think this one is the USGA's version of a British Open.   The R&A doesn't worry about score.    They set up the course and let the best golfer win.    The score is dictated by the conditions (wind/rain) and the skill of the golfers.    At Erin Hills, they had a very long, very hilly course full of blind shots and fescue.    I think the USGA was anticipating it being drier and windier.   If the tournament had been played a week earlier, the scores would have been different.     But it has rained a lot in the past week, the greens are soft, a ball that lands in the fairway is generally staying in the fairway, and it has been a shootout.      However, those who have been unable to keep it in the fairway off of the tee have paid the price.  Or maybe it was just the high end Nike attire that kept Rory and Jason Day from hitting it straight. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »
So did the rain stay away overnight? Friday's round in dry and somewhat windy conditions was fantastic.

The one thing I do love is that any one of a dozen guys can win this thing.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
Still a big disappointment - one of the easiest Open courses ever.

Tell that to the top three golfers in the world
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

feedback