[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Erin Hills  (Read 17508 times)

jsglow

• All American
Erin Hills
« on: June 12, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Minimalist. Irish old school. The first ever Open in Wisconsin with Holy Hill standing sentinel.  Tee 'em up boys.   8-)

nyg

• All American
Re: Erin Hills
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 01:34:10 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »
Simple answer, don't hit it der, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
I dated her years ago.  ;D     It looks like fun.   Back story is fascinating.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
Going Wednesday and Sunday, super excited.

Still have crews working on there through tomorrow to try and get everything ready though, cutting it close.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
So the "Blue" lot is right across the street from my office.  I got here at 6:45 this morning and there were 24 coach busses around our industrial park road, lined up ready to shuttle fans to the course 30 minutes away.  Sometime after lunch they must have swapped and now have most the of the busses at the course because there are only about 6 here now.

A coworker and I were just wondering out loud just how much it costs to put on the US Open.  Last fall they brought in truckloads of rock for a couple days to make temporary roads through the open field. There are highway signs that are the same quality as permanent signage, hell they have about 12 flag poles someone had to put in the ground here.  Not just these sort of costs but the labor costs to work develop the logistics plans for how ever many years it took.  And all I've seen is one damn parking lot. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:25:18 PM by MUEng92 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »
I'm excited. I've got tickets for Saturday.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:12:57 PM »
I clicked thinking we'd have some hot pics of a girl named Erin...and we get a golf course?

:-[

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
first par 72 since 1992(pebble beach)

they had over 30 black lexus suv's lined up at the airport waiting for their riders

don't...don't don't don't don't

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »
Coming up for Friday and Sunday.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »
Cutting the fescue!?!?!?!     Participation ribbons for all!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 08:27:46 PM »
Cutting the fescue!?!?!?!     Participation ribbons for all!

Rain. I'll still be a hazard.

muwarrior69

• All American

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
Has anyone tried parking in the neighborhoods near the course? I took the shuttle yesterday, and while it wasn't a bad experience, it added a bunch of time on to the day.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 03:24:26 PM »
So jsonline is reporting that an elderly man passed away out on the course today.  Let's hope all his business was settled, he got to all the graduations and weddings he wanted to, spent plenty of time with his grandkids, and that today was a special treat enjoying something he loved on the last day God gave him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »
4 years ago, I volunteered for the first Meijer LPGA classic.    We had a gentleman have a heart attack climbing a steep hill and play delayed for about 45 minutes.    If you aren't used to walking, it can be quite the burden.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »
Somebody at WashPost sure does hate Erin Hills.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/erin-hills-is-heartland-course-with-lots-of-land-but-not-much-to-heart/2017/06/15/7064a046-522c-11e7-be25-3a519335381c_story.html?utm_term=.c46b027dc8e3

"The jury is still out on this course, and by Sunday night it may be basking in praise. But after one day, if I’m the jury foreman, I’m asking the bailiff to take notes out to the judge to ask about “maximum-sentencing guidelines.”

For months the world’s golf culture has wondered and worried about why the USGA would put the most important championship in U.S. golf, its Open, on an obscure, 11-year-old untested public golf course 37 miles outside Milwaukee."

How dare they play golf in the midwest!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
Although between the blimp crash and the ecoli in the hydration station... that's not a great look.

http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/e-coli-found-at-erin-hills-hydration-station

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 05:49:11 PM »
I don't think the article is so much against golf in the Midwest as it is against playing the country's biggest tournament on a course that has never hosted a major event.  I don't follow golf, but I seem to recall other big tournaments being held at other Wisconsin courses - maybe one of the courses around Kohler?

I was at the first major event at the new Vikings stadium - a soccer match between two major European teams.  They hadn't worked out the access and food service kinks, so while the stadium is beautiful, the event was a logistical nightmare.  They had to delay the game almost an hour so people could get through the unexpectedly slow security and into the stadium.  Since then, they've had NFL games, concerts and such to work out the kinks.  If their first major event had been the Super Bowl.....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 06:16:50 PM »
He makes some fair points. But he does it in that old, snooty golf writer kind of way.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
The announcers, who have had some experience witnessing A LOT of golf courses, including majors, had nothing but praise for the course.  Not only the conditions, the challenges, but also it's layout being a natural fan friendly locale.  One big drawback imho, infrastructure to and from.  We will see how that shuttle thing works out.  My son got some tix from Marcus corp including a parking pass on the grounds so I will be taking notes as we pass the shuttle areas tomorrow morning

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »
I don't think the article is so much against golf in the Midwest as it is against playing the country's biggest tournament on a course that has never hosted a major event.  I don't follow golf, but I seem to recall other big tournaments being held at other Wisconsin courses - maybe one of the courses around Kohler?

I was at the first major event at the new Vikings stadium - a soccer match between two major European teams.  They hadn't worked out the access and food service kinks, so while the stadium is beautiful, the event was a logistical nightmare.  They had to delay the game almost an hour so people could get through the unexpectedly slow security and into the stadium.  Since then, they've had NFL games, concerts and such to work out the kinks.  If their first major event had been the Super Bowl.....

The Kohler courses are all affiliated with the PGA while Erin Hills is affiliated with the USGA. Different governing bodies, different courses. The two really don't cross over very often.

And this is the third time for Erin Hills.  It hosted the US Amateur a few years back.  That's always the precursor event to an Open.  It also hosted the US Women's Open even more recently.  Those are the big 3 for the USGA.

Bottom line, both governing bodies are bringing world class golf to Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:02:27 PM by jsglow »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »
The PGA has played Whistling Straits and the LPGA has played a major at one of the other Kohler properties.   (Blackwolf Run?)  IIRC, that was Se Ri Pak's breakthrough. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
  what a blast to the state's economy and pr for wisconsin/wisconsin golf-win win win.