'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The AL of Lacrosse Program?  (Read 8764 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
The AL of Lacrosse Program?
« on: June 10, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »
I know, Iknow Superbar but it is the off season, and it is slow abd this coach seems really committed. Will he become the Al for lacrosse?
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/061017aaa.html
Goal is National Championship

bradley center bat

• All American
Re: The AL of Lacrosse Program?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »
Wasn't Michigan wanting him?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
Amplo seems to be a fantastic coach, based on how quickly he built this from scratch and the interest he's garnered from other major programs. Before I'm ready to compare him to Al, he needs to stick a bit longer and win quite a bit more. That said, I do believe Marquette is lucky to have him.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
Gotta invest more in lax facilities is wet want to keep him long term imho
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 08:18:21 PM »
Lacrosse has been a very good investment for MU. Our lacrosse program has been giving MU an enhanced visibility at the well respected high schools and prep schools that play lacrosse in the Traditional lacrosse hot beds of the Northeast and Canada  as well as the emerging hot beds in places like Georgia , Texas , California , Colorado and Ohio .

There are long term benefits for MU basketball recruiting as good athletes ,who are peers of potential, are seen choosing Marquette . Word gets out among the kids that MU is an attractive alternative.

We have now graduated a couple of classes of kids both men and women who are good salespeople for the school .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 08:45:25 PM »
Chit, hoo new? Ya learn somethin' every dey, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:51:54 PM »
Lacrosse has been a very good investment for MU. Our lacrosse program has been giving MU an enhanced visibility at the well respected high schools and prep schools that play lacrosse in the Traditional lacrosse hot beds of the Northeast and Canada  as well as the emerging hot beds in places like Georgia , Texas , California , Colorado and Ohio .

There are long term benefits for MU basketball recruiting as good athletes ,who are peers of potential, are seen choosing Marquette . Word gets out among the kids that MU is an attractive alternative.

We have now graduated a couple of classes of kids both men and women who are good salespeople for the school .

You don't know a thing when it comes to "emerging hot beds" for lacrosse.

We Are Brother Rice
Bring back FFP!!!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 07:13:41 AM »
You don't know a thing when it comes to "emerging hot beds" for lacrosse.

We Are Brother Rice
Emerging hot beds list was just representative states . Yes
Brother Rice has been good for a long time in many sports including lacrosse  . It is the kind of school I am referring to were MU lacrosse benefits us.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 10:53:47 PM »

Nice Link MUFANY!   Very Disco of you! 

Could not agree more!  How else to explain how 5 seniors from my high school alma-mater in the CT suburbs of NYC applied to Marquette last Fall after literally no one applied from there for over 20 years?  I suspect it's all due to the visibility that having a successful Lacrosse program in the Big East brings.  That and MU finally hired an admissions rep for this part of the country that's concentrating on recruiting at Public Schools for a  change, virtually all of which are better than most Catholic schools here.  Kudos to Coach Amplo's success and the Athletic Dept. for prioritizing his continued stewardship of the program.  It is already paying significant dividends on the recruiting front by increasing the geographic footprint of the undergraduate student body.  Not just from the Northeast, but mid-Atlantic as well.  Keep it up MU!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 08:14:36 AM »
Nice Link MUFANY!   Very Disco of you! 

Could not agree more!  How else to explain how 5 seniors from my high school alma-mater in the CT suburbs of NYC applied to Marquette last Fall after literally no one applied from there for over 20 years?

But wait! Don't these kids know about Marquette's extremely crappy acceptance rate?  Better warn them before they waste any more of their time considering such a worthless university.
Have some patience, FFS.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 12:46:15 PM »

But wait! Don't these kids know about Marquette's extremely crappy acceptance rate?  Better warn them before they waste any more of their time considering such a worthless university.

Wasn't going to get into this but since you brought up it up I certainly hope not.    That is still an issue and not one that's lost on the administration since they go out of their way to hide it and not call attention to that particular statistic.  They're not idiots and recognize that's an issue but but at the end of the day they need students and are willing to make the tradeoff.  I get it.  MU is anything but a worthless university, quite the contrary but their high admissions rate is somewhat of a deterrent and that's what I don't think they realize.   There are some students who won't apply there for that reason or if they did, and were accepted, they end up going to a place like BU or Syracuse, or Fordham not because of geography or they liked it better necessarily but because of perception of those places being slightly better even if MU might have been offering more $.     Fortunately having a good Lacrosse program will help increase applications.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
When I applied for college (not that long ago) I looked at program, price, and campus and rankings to a certain extent but only for the program I was applying to. I couldn't tell you the admission rates of one of the colleges I applied to.

Take that for what you will.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »
I hope he becomes the AL of lacrosse.  To get to that level I think you have to beat someone like Notre Dame at least once.  In that game we were a step slow, a cradle extra too long, a pound light.  Hopefully we can take that next step in that NCAA tourney.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »
Wasn't going to get into this but since you brought up it up I certainly hope not.    That is still an issue and not one that's lost on the administration since they go out of their way to hide it and not call attention to that particular statistic.  They're not idiots and recognize that's an issue but but at the end of the day they need students and are willing to make the tradeoff.  I get it.  MU is anything but a worthless university, quite the contrary but their high admissions rate is somewhat of a deterrent and that's what I don't think they realize.   There are some students who won't apply there for that reason or if they did, and were accepted, they end up going to a place like BU or Syracuse, or Fordham not because of geography or they liked it better necessarily but because of perception of those places being slightly better even if MU might have been offering more $.     Fortunately having a good Lacrosse program will help increase applications.

You will never convince me that acceptance rate is not a stupid metric to judge a university.   People that give it serious weight when choosing a school are snobby a-holes and nothing more.

Suppose Bill Gates dies next week in a tragic Tesla accident, and leaves his entire estate to Marquette as a scholarship endowment.  The school determines that the endowment will throw off enough income to enroll its current level of 2000 freshmen per year and give everyone a full-ride scholarship.  They make no other significant changes except for what had already been spelled out in the long term Strategic Plan.

Of course, the number of applications would skyrocket. Because they want to keep the school the same size, the acceptance rate will be among the lowest in the country.  Who wouldn't want a free ride to a top-100 school?  Does that make Marquette a better school than it was a week before Bill Gates recharged his Tesla for the last time?  Of course not. 

Or this scenario:  Marquette goes to 2,000 high schools and hands out flyers to seniors saying that if you apply to Marquette, no matter what your transcripts or board scores are, Marquette will send you a $50 ITunes card.  Would that increase the applications? Yep.  Would it make Marquette a better school?  You tell me.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
Last month at a trade show I was speaking with a guy in his early 20's.  He was a semi-recent graduate of Ohio State and he returned home to New Jersey after college for work.  He said he considered Marquette to play lacrosse.  He ultimately quit after high school, but indicated 3-4 people he knew from New Jersey ended up at Marquette to play lacrosse.  He said a new program, with a likable coach in the competitive Big East meant playing time and a chance to build a program made it desirable school to play lacrosse at.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:22:31 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »
You will never convince me that acceptance rate is not a stupid metric to judge a university.   People that give it serious weight when choosing a school are snobby a-holes and nothing more.

Suppose Bill Gates dies next week in a tragic Tesla accident, and leaves his entire estate to Marquette as a scholarship endowment.  The school determines that the endowment will throw off enough income to enroll its current level of 2000 freshmen per year and give everyone a full-ride scholarship.  They make no other significant changes except for what had already been spelled out in the long term Strategic Plan.

Of course, the number of applications would skyrocket. Because they want to keep the school the same size, the acceptance rate will be among the lowest in the country.  Who wouldn't want a free ride to a top-100 school?  Does that make Marquette a better school than it was a week before Bill Gates recharged his Tesla for the last time?  Of course not. 

Or this scenario:  Marquette goes to 2,000 high schools and hands out flyers to seniors saying that if you apply to Marquette, no matter what your transcripts or board scores are, Marquette will send you a $50 ITunes card.  Would that increase the applications? Yep.  Would it make Marquette a better school?  You tell me.

Could not agree more!  They absolutely are snobby a-holes and unfortunately for me I'm surrounded by them here in Fairfield County, CT.

Look I totally get that MU is not Princeton, Dartmouth, etc.  All I've suggested to the few administrators that I occasionally have contact with who will listen to me is that the difference between a 65% acceptance rate, where it's historically been,  and a 78% acceptance rate which is what it was last year, is enormous in terms of perception.  You and I know that MU isn't any worse of a school because they changed strategy and accepted 78% last year instead of 65%, but given the substantial expense that families need to front to pay for higher education, or for those that can't afford to pay full tuition, the amount of debt the student will be taking on, they want to make sure the'll get a commensurate ROI.  Perhaps because there are so many enormously wealthy people in the community I live in who don't qualify for aid, this is a bigger issue for them, but not being one of those people myself, I don't know.  What I do know is that their perception of that statistic is not good.  At the end of the day, a tiny fraction of people are in that situation and feel that way so it's impact on Marquette specifically is nil in the whole scheme of things, which is why they don't care,  but again I harp on this because I live among them and it's frustrating as hell! 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »

Under your scenario 1 , Marquette turns into the University of Chicago, Stanford or Carnegie -Mellon over night so yes the school would be "better".

Scenario 2 = the Northeastern strategy which became a self full filling prophecy. The more selective Northeastern was perceived the better applicants they got. Now they have institutionalized a work study program and creating a return on the parents money.

Marquette needs to learn how to play the game better. The school is much better than the perception. Admissions need to be more selective to make it clear we are in the direction of more elite places. At a minimum we should be in the same discussion academically with Villanova, Fordham, SMU and Tulane .

I spend a lot of time with parents and kids and it surprising how often the choice comes down to BU or MU. The sale is much easier when there are other local kids both looking at the school and attending the school. It is basic human nature. Lacrosse definitely helps fill that role for MU and is one of the few smart things the administration did to aid admissions.

I was very displeased when I saw the report of more diversity in the admission mix . Go ahead and call me a a Tom, but I am an old school man of color that believes in earning things and never took hand outs. In my book ,diversity means lower test scores and grades and makes the school less attractive . It's one thing if we are taking kids like Markus Howard with 4.0 GPA , leadership and basketball skills . It's another to fill the place with inner city trash. If we can load up on kids from Fairfield County, Westchester County, The better areas of Nassau County and the top tier New Jersey suburbs our ratings would improve and in the long run the school would be wealthier .

---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 09:23:08 PM »
::) u don't deserve to be quoted, what a bunch of crap

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »
I would hope that what MUFINY said was satire, but I know that he's nowhere near that clever.

Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 11:27:52 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »
I would hope that what MUFINY said was satire, but I know that he's nowhere near that clever.

Hard to believe an MU grad would write the  garbage he did.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 07:17:05 AM »
Here's the dirty little secret about college: The student matters more than the school.

Sure the Ivy's, Stanford, MIT and similar ilk matter some.  But there is essentially no difference between a school ranked 50 and 150.  There all good enough.  The rest is up to the student.  That's who is responsible for any return on investment.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 07:18:31 AM »

Interesting that you should bring that up....
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »

Does anyone here believe he graduated from Marquette?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »
Performance art, people, Performance art.

And the artist is generating exactly the response he is looking for.  I say Bravo!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »
Performance art, people, Performance art.

And the artist is generating exactly the response he is looking for.  I say Bravo!

Are we calling everything "art" now? 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »
Are we calling everything "art" now?
I am making the distinction that this is a performance, not a person attempting to make real observations or use actual facts.  It is for entertainment purposes only, not to be taken as legitimate arguments open for discussion.

Some might call it trolling, I see it as Performance Art...and successful Performance Art as well, as he gets the crowd to react just as he had hoped.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:13:37 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
Where does this leave Art's Performing Center then?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
I am making the distinction that this is a performance, not a person attempting to make real observations or use actual facts.  It is for entertainment purposes only, not to be taken as legitimate arguments open for discussion.

Some might call it trolling, I see it as Performance Art...and successful Performance Art as well, as he gets the crowd to react just as he had hoped.
Don't think this is completely accurate

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »
Where does this leave Art's Performing Center then?

on Juneau Avenue

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
Nice interview. But it has a don't mess with happy part  ::)

https://twitter.com/muwiresports/status/875367545187913728

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »
Under your scenario 1 , Marquette turns into the University of Chicago, Stanford or Carnegie -Mellon over night so yes the school would be "better".

Scenario 2 = the Northeastern strategy which became a self full filling prophecy. The more selective Northeastern was perceived the better applicants they got. Now they have institutionalized a work study program and creating a return on the parents money.

Marquette needs to learn how to play the game better. The school is much better than the perception. Admissions need to be more selective to make it clear we are in the direction of more elite places. At a minimum we should be in the same discussion academically with Villanova, Fordham, SMU and Tulane .

I spend a lot of time with parents and kids and it surprising how often the choice comes down to BU or MU. The sale is much easier when there are other local kids both looking at the school and attending the school. It is basic human nature. Lacrosse definitely helps fill that role for MU and is one of the few smart things the administration did to aid admissions.

I was very displeased when I saw the report of more diversity in the admission mix . Go ahead and call me a a Tom, but I am an old school man of color that believes in earning things and never took hand outs. In my book ,diversity means lower test scores and grades and makes the school less attractive . It's one thing if we are taking kids like Markus Howard with 4.0 GPA , leadership and basketball skills . It's another to fill the place with inner city trash. If we can load up on kids from Fairfield County, Westchester County, The better areas of Nassau County and the top tier New Jersey suburbs our ratings would improve and in the long run the school would be wealthier .

What is diversity?  You won't even get agreement on that.  Is it race?  Gender?  Ethnicity?  School of thought?  Geography?  Most are going with the first two, is that the proper way to describe diversity?

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »
Look I totally get that MU is not Princeton, Dartmouth, etc.  All I've suggested to the few administrators that I occasionally have contact with who will listen to me is that the difference between a 65% acceptance rate, where it's historically been,  and a 78% acceptance rate which is what it was last year, is enormous in terms of perception. 

Most Big East schools share a general lack of competition for admission. National coverage should improve this, but it hasn't been the case.

Seton Hall: 79%
Marquette: 78%
Xavier: 73%
DePaul 72%
Butler: 70%
Creighton: 70%
St. John's: 65%
Providence: 57%
Villanova: 48%
Georgetown: 15%

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 09:02:44 PM »
Most Big East schools share a general lack of competition for admission. National coverage should improve this, but it hasn't been the case.

Seton Hall: 79%
Marquette: 78%
Xavier: 73%
DePaul 72%
Butler: 70%
Creighton: 70%
St. John's: 65%
Providence: 57%
Villanova: 48%
Georgetown: 15%
These stats are embarrassing for MU. We need to can Lovell and bring in someone who understands how to play the prestige game.

Let's set the bar high not low. We want successful kids of rich people to be attending MU. Money attract Money.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 09:48:35 PM »
These stats are embarrassing for MU. We need to can Lovell and bring in someone who understands how to play the prestige game.

Let's set the bar high not low. We want successful kids of rich people to be attending MU. Money attract Money.

Please just admit that you aren't a Marquette alumnus and stop embarrassing those of us who are.
Have some patience, FFS.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 10:38:29 PM »

Stan for president  ::)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »
Please just admit that you aren't a Marquette alumnus and stop embarrassing those of us who are.
Bottom line is the administration is going down the wrong path. You are  lucky there are people like me who are willing to stand up for high standards .
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:21:44 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »
Bottom line is the administration is going down the wrong path. Your lucky there are people like me who are willing too stand up for standards .

Clearly those standards don't include basic grammar.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
Clearly those standards don't include basic grammar.
Noted
                       ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 08:05:38 AM »

You money, man.  You're so money, you don't know how money you are.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »
You money, man.  You're so money, you don't know how money you are.
Won' t be able to answer for a month

feedback