[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN's Lundari has a 2018 bracket update!  (Read 11310 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
ESPN's Lundari has a 2018 bracket update!
« on: June 04, 2017, 12:15:38 AM »
Put it out June 1 after the NBA draft deadline

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=336&region=4&year=2017

Has 6 Big East Teams in the tournament, not MU

I don't get Wisconsin... they are losing the majority of the scoring and rebounds.  They return Happ and a bunch of question marks.  He has them as an 8 seed, no change from this year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: ESPN's Lundari has a 2018 bracket update!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:33:54 AM »
Name recognition is it. Not a big deal. They've made the tourney for what, 16 straight, and return a guy who's a likely first or second team All American and you wonder why they are "in"? I'm wondering why they aren't seeded higher, honestly. These things are just for PR purposes, and we've seen what happens to those that discount Wisconsin's chances in the past.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
Name recognition is it. Not a big deal. They've made the tourney for what, 16 straight, and return a guy who's a likely first or second team All American and you wonder why they are "in"? I'm wondering why they aren't seeded higher, honestly. These things are just for PR purposes, and we've seen what happens to those that discount Wisconsin's chances in the past.

They had four senior starters last year ... Koenig, Hayes, Brown, and Showalter.

Combined:

Minutes 113 (56% of the 200 minutes per game)
Points 43.2 (59% of the 73/game they average)
Rebounds 13.4 (36% of the 37 per game they average)

Bucky was an 8 seed last year.  Despite losing these guys Lunardi thinks they are an 8 seed again this coming season.  You think they should be a higher seed.

The only way this makes sense is if one thinks these four guys collectively were crap and the guys behind them that never played are collectively better.

Regarding the idea that they have an all-American center.  Lots of teams have had this type of center and nothing else and did nothing with him.  See Ben Simmons in LSU (#1 pick), Noah Vonleh at IU (#9 pick), Anthony Bennet of UNLV (#1 pick).

Need more than Happ.  Not saying they don't have it, saying no one knows.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:51:59 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:09:20 AM »
Anyone who is upset that Marquette isn't in a bracket that is put together 5 months before the start of the season should retreat to their safe space.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »
They've made the tourney every year for the past decade and a half plus. They've had to replace more than this in the past and been fine. I hate to say this, but like Jon Rothstein is so fond of saying, their program is like a Fortune 500 company, it runs itself.

There's no reason any pundit would pick them to falter until after they've faltered. And you are misrepresenting what I said. I didn't say I thought they should be higher, I said I'm surprised they aren't. The two are radically different.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 10:04:48 AM »
I don't know who this Lundari guy is, but I'm not going to worry about it.  If the new guys can play from day 1, MU will be fine.  If not, there will be anxiety.  We won't know for 5 months.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
They've made the tourney every year for the past decade and a half plus. They've had to replace more than this in the past and been fine. I hate to say this, but like Jon Rothstein is so fond of saying, their program is like a Fortune 500 company, it runs itself.

There's no reason any pundit would pick them to falter until after they've faltered. And you are misrepresenting what I said. I didn't say I thought they should be higher, I said I'm surprised they aren't. The two are radically different.

All true, but for the first time, they're going to try and repeat success without a HOF coach.   Huge question mark if Gard can duplicate what Ryan did.  The list is long in all sports, any level, of failure replacing a HOF coach.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 10:44:53 AM »
Look at how well the transition from Bennett to Soderberg worked for them.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
Well, this makes it official for me. I have sent my diploma back to Marquette and wallpapered every room of my house in Bucky red.

Lunardi isn't forecasting MU to make the 2018 tournament, which begins in only 9 months. So why even bother pretending to root for Wojo's lads anymore?

Oh, the humanity!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:43:58 PM by MU82 »
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
Well, this makes it official for me. I have sent my diploma back to Marquette and wallpapered every room of my house in Bucky red.

Lunardi isn't forecasting MU to make the 2019 tournament, which begins in only 9 months. So why even bother pretending to root for Wojo's lads anymore?

Oh, the humanity!

Texas is a 10 seed, though.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »

People know.

BTW, a couple additional thoughts on Becky --

1) Over the past decade, their worst KenPom AdjD was ranked #55 in the nation.
2) They have a number of guys who have been in the program for awhile, but just haven't gotten a lot of minutes yet. To see a guy who didn't do much in his first year or two, then do very well at uw-madison isn't an unusual phenomenon.
3) There's not a lot of powerhouses in the Big Ten heading into the season. MSU.. then....?

I hope Becky doesn't finish in the top 4 of the B1G... 0-18 in fact would be great... but to put them in as an 8-seed in June doesn't seem odd at all.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »
We weren't predicted to make the NCAA tournament a year ago, either. I'm just fine with fans, media and coaches underestimating us again. Results are what matters. The respect will come eventually.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »
People know.

BTW, a couple additional thoughts on Becky --

1) Over the past decade, their worst KenPom AdjD was ranked #55 in the nation.
2) They have a number of guys who have been in the program for awhile, but just haven't gotten a lot of minutes yet. To see a guy who didn't do much in his first year or two, then do very well at uw-madison isn't an unusual phenomenon.
3) There's not a lot of powerhouses in the Big Ten heading into the season. MSU.. then....?

I hope Becky doesn't finish in the top 4 of the B1G... 0-18 in fact would be great... but to put them in as an 8-seed in June doesn't seem odd at all.
Becky obviously has a good track record  in the 2000s.  But, with the lack of experience, I would rank the following ahead of UW for 17-18:  MSU, MN, NW, IA, PU, MD and IL.  PSU is also on the rise.   17-18 will be a different challenge for Becky.  We shall see.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »
Becky obviously has a good track record  in the 2000s.  But, with the lack of experience, I would rank the following ahead of UW for 17-18:  MSU, MN, NW, IA, PU, MD and IL.  PSU is also on the rise.   17-18 will be a different challenge for Becky.  We shall see.

This, you can make an equal case that Bucky is an 8 seed, or 9th in the Big Ten and out.

To be determined when the season starts.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »
This, you can make an equal case that Bucky is an 8 seed, or 9th in the Big Ten and out.

To be determined when the season starts.
Yep.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
Anyone who is upset that Marquette isn't in a bracket that is put together 5 months before the start of the season should retreat to their safe space.

Spot on.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
All true, but for the first time, they're going to try and repeat success without a HOF coach.   Huge question mark if Gard can duplicate what Ryan did.  The list is long in all sports, any level, of failure replacing a HOF coach.

After Kaminsky, Dekker, and company left, Gard took over midseason and led them to the Sweet 16, then repeated the feat. He's at least earned some respect.

Here's the thing, a program with four straight second weekend or deeper appearances, 15+ straight tourney bids, a history of replacing starters with role players and continuing to tally results, and a coach who's never missed the Sweet 16 is being tabbed to earn a mediocre bid.

Meanwhile, in other threads Marquette fans are up in arms because we were 7 minutes from missing out on the NCAAs yet in here it's a slap in the face that we lost three seniors earning starter minutes and aren't picked to dance 5 months before the first game tips off?

Y'all are crazy.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »
After Kaminsky, Dekker, and company left, Gard took over midseason and led them to the Sweet 16, then repeated the feat. He's at least earned some respect.

Here's the thing, a program with four straight second weekend or deeper appearances, 15+ straight tourney bids, a history of replacing starters with role players and continuing to tally results, and a coach who's never missed the Sweet 16 is being tabbed to earn a mediocre bid.

Meanwhile, in other threads Marquette fans are up in arms because we were 7 minutes from missing out on the NCAAs yet in here it's a slap in the face that we lost three seniors earning starter minutes and aren't picked to dance 5 months before the first game tips off?

Y'all are crazy.

They lost Kaminsky and Dekker and went from a team in the finals to an 8 seed.  That's a big drop.  Now they lose four starting seniors ... this trend suggests another big drop, not another 8 seed season.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
You're on your own supply Heisey if you think Bucky will be any worse than a 8 seed. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »
They had four senior starters last year ... Koenig, Hayes, Brown, and Showalter.

Combined:

Minutes 113 (56% of the 200 minutes per game)
Points 43.2 (59% of the 73/game they average)
Rebounds 13.4 (36% of the 37 per game they average)

Bucky was an 8 seed last year.  Despite losing these guys Lunardi thinks they are an 8 seed again this coming season.  You think they should be a higher seed.

The only way this makes sense is if one thinks these four guys collectively were crap and the guys behind them that never played are collectively better.

Regarding the idea that they have an all-American center.  Lots of teams have had this type of center and nothing else and did nothing with him.  See Ben Simmons in LSU (#1 pick), Noah Vonleh at IU (#9 pick), Anthony Bennet of UNLV (#1 pick).

Don't forget, Jay Wright said the beat 8 seed in the history of basketball :-)
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
You're on your own supply Heisey if you think Bucky will be any worse than a 8 seed.

Remind me about this in March

(and for the record, I said they have too many questions right now, as on June 1, 2017, to assume they will be as good as last year despite losing four starters.  I did not say they would not be good.  We'll see.)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 07:54:16 PM »

Regarding the idea that they have an all-American center.  Lots of teams have had this type of center and nothing else and did nothing with him.  See Ben Simmons in LSU (#1 pick), Noah Vonleh at IU (#9 pick), Anthony Bennett of UNLV (#1 pick).

Bennett was a 6'8" PF.  From Wikipedia:
College career
During the 2012–13 UNLV Runnin' Rebels basketball season, Bennett played 35 games. While mostly starting at power forward, he would occasionally play small forward.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 08:03:22 PM »
They lost Kaminsky and Dekker and went from a team in the finals to an 8 seed.  That's a big drop.  Now they lose four starting seniors ... this trend suggests another big drop, not another 8 seed season.

Every time they lose a handful of stars, which seems to happen every 2-3 years, all of Marquetteland is all too happy to predict their demise. And every time, they bounce back and earn a bid. Betting against them has been a fool's gambit for the better part of two decades, but hey, don't let me stop you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »
I actually agree with Heisy that I think Bucky will have a down year. As of this moment they look like an NIT team to me. However, also agree with Brew that them as an 8 seed is not shocking at this point. They are nothing if not consistent.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 12:21:47 AM »

Agree that there are no powerhouses after Michigan State. But a lot of teams should be an up swing after last year. MSU, Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa, and Penn State all look like they will be better in 17-18 than they were in 16-17. Purdue, Michigan, and Maryland still look like tourney teams even if they aren't improving. Wisconsin is one of the few that looks like they will be trending down.

At the moment, they look like a 6-9th place team in the B1G to me. I think MSU, Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, and Indiana all look significantly better. But this is Wisconsin we are talking about. They always seem to pull something out of their arse.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback