[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Are Your Expectations For Howard Next Year?  (Read 9140 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: What Are Your Expectations For Howard Next Year?
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »
Raw numbers up. Efficiency slightly down. If usage increases without a drop in efficiency....we could have a really special season.

The only thing I truly know will happen is that Markus will have a couple down games possessions in a row and scoop will be clamoring for whoever the backup is to get more playing time.

Fixed above

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
Raw numbers up. Efficiency slightly down. If usage increases without a drop in efficiency....we could have a really special season.

The only thing I truly know will happen is that Markus will have a couple down games in a row and scoop will be clamoring for whoever the backup is to get more playing time.

We have a backup PG?!? All kidding aside, I agree with this. We should expect volume to go up, but efficiency to go down as teams game plan for him. Until other players (Hauser) prove they can take over a game, they will stay tight on Rowsey and Howard.

As much angst as JJJ and Katin caused us, we knew they were WILLING (if not always able) to take the scoring lead when nothing would fall. Do we have someone else behind our diminutive two? Can Froling be a Luke-type guy first thing 2nd semester?

The more I think about it, this feels like a team building to 2018. That's not a knock on these guys - these feel like the right group of guys (plus Morrow plus Bailey plus Joey [hopefully]) to get the job done. I just think Wojo is content to play the long game.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Leading up to the 2016-17 season, few expected an NCAA bid.

None of our six returning players (Duane, Haanif, JaJuan, Luke, Matt and Traci) had ever played in a single NIT or NCAA tournament game. The one player on the roster with any postseason experience (Katin) was an inconsistent chucker with about as many transfers as rebounds to his name. Point guard was a huge question mark — a choice between a turnover-prone sophomore, a high-scoring transfer unproven in a major conference, and an undersized and underaged freshman. The battle for defensive rebounds was surely a hopeless cause.

Somehow, Wojo and his staff were able to motivate, develop and mold this unlikely, unbalanced team into one of college basketball's most exciting and dangerous offenses. A team that earned Marquette its first NCAA bid in four seasons.

While the job is far from over, I count that as a big accomplishment. And it gives me hope that this new team might just have a few surprises in store for us. I know Wojo isn't writing off the 2017-18 season and simply biding his time until he gets the likes of Ed Morrow, Brendan Bailey or Joey Hauser on the court.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MuMark

• All American

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2017, 09:45:11 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2017/06/10/marquettes-markus-howard-declines-u-19-national-team-invitation/386136001/
Smart move. He has been there and done that so to speak . This summer is big for him and MU with our great recruiting class coming in.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback