Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What Are Your Expectations For Howard Next Year?  (Read 8986 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
What Are Your Expectations For Howard Next Year?
« on: June 02, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
Howard arguably had one of the greatest Freshman seasons in MU history.  He led the NCAA in 3P% and just missed the all-time record.  He was also one of the leading FT% in college basketball.  Wojo called him a "50/50/90 guy" (2P%, 3P%, FT%)

So how much of a sophomore slump do you expect?  Would it be unfair NOT to expect a sophomore slump from Howard? 

If Howard repeated his Freshman year offensive production next season to the point that he again was flirting with all-time NCAA shooting percentages, he would be in the conversation for the greatest NCAA shooters of all-time.  On top of this, if he improved his D, would we need to make room for him in the top 5 all-time thread.

Thoughts on what you expect from Howard next year vs this past year?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: What Are Your Expectations For Howard Next Year?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
All Big East first team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
Cut down the turnovers and improve the defense without following.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
Additional thought ...

Because Howard is very young, recently turning 18, do you view that as meaning he has more upside as he matures?  Or does it mean that handling the pressures and expectations after his Freshman year are harder because he is so young?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:05:13 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »
One of the best PG in the country.  Over 100 3PM. Cuts down on fouls.  Plays more like 32 MPG.

I have high hopes.  Defense is always going to suffer when Markus and Rowsey are the court together, but I think the two of them are going to form quite a dynamic duo.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »
Big East Player of the Year

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:19:18 AM »
Big East Player of the Year
Don't temper expectations. Naismith Player of the Year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
Final Four MVP, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »
Naismith player of the year, final 4 MVP, cure cancer, fix the hole in the ozone, broker a budget deal in Illinois, kick Trevor Mbakwe's butt,  turn 19.     Junior year will be even better. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
Markus already showed a lot of savvy to step into the point position as a freshman. But we need him to play even smarter. How about one completely unrealistic expectation: grow an inch or so.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
Expect a decline in scoring.   He's going to get challenged at the 3-point line a lot more and is too small to bring the ball anywhere near the rim (as we saw last season).  If he could develop a Cordell Henry mid-range floater he might be more productive in the lane.   

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »
Expect a decline in scoring.   He's going to get challenged at the 3-point line a lot more and is too small to bring the ball anywhere near the rim (as we saw last season).  If he could develop a Cordell Henry mid-range floater he might be more productive in the lane.   

It's a pick your poison type of deal.  If defenders want to play in Howard's pocket, they're going to get burned by Rowsey, Hauser and the many other players who can hit 3P at a respectable level. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
I expect about the following:

115 ORtg
14 ppg
3 apg
2.5 rpg
25% assist rate
20% turnover rate
50% 2PFG
40% 3PFG
55% eFG

Solid, but the decline in threes skews his overall numbers down a bit with some improvement everywhere else. I think his sophomore to junior jump will be bigger. Tough to adjust to being the main man, which he likely is this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
Naismith player of the year, final 4 MVP, cure cancer, fix the hole in the ozone, broker a budget deal in Illinois, kick Trevor Mbakwe's butt,  turn 19.     Junior year will be even better.

Ok, now I know you must be joking.
Legit shot at the rest of it though.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
I expect him to score more. His shooting percentage will fall, because he is taking more shots.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »
His shooting % will fall because nobody has ever shot it as good as he did last year for an entire career.

I'm ok with it if he proves to be the exception.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »
M2N
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »

He will contribute more than last year, even though the glory stats may be the same or less than  last year. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »
In all seriousness..... in windowless offices on the campuses of the other 9 Big East teams, there is an unpaid/underpaid low level assistant of some sort poring over every minute that Markus played, every shot that he took, how teams stopped him or failed to stop him.    They are putting his strengths and weaknesses into a database and are working with other assistants to develop a game plan to stop him.    Yes, he and Rowsey have Curry-like range.    But they are small.    So, I look for defenses to extend and contest the jumpshot, forcing him to go into the lane where his slight 5'11 frame suddenly is a detriment.   I look for defenders to stop helping off of Howard and Rowsey, betting that Hannif, Sam, Harry, Matt and the frosh can't beat their 3-4-5 one on one.    I look for zones to be extended.    In short, they will be game planning for him as the number one thing to stop.   And the other coaches aren't dummies. 
    So it is up to Markus, Rowsey and Wojo et al to broaden their games in a way that Cheatham didn't, so that he can make them pay when they run at his jump shot.      Runners, tear drops, pull ups.  Quick passes when the other team hedges or double teams the high pick-and-rolls, moving the ball around either to an open Sam in the corner or a cutting big, much like nearly every team did to MU last year.  And much like the full-court pressure that was more disruptive to MU than most teams due to the size of the guards, Howard and Rowsey are going to have to figure out how to get out of the high trap set by larger defenders.   Can they make the adjustments in their games to counteract the inevitable defensive adjustments they are going to see?

It would not surprise me to see his numbers drop when stopping him is made the top priority of opposing teams.    We ( and all of the opposing coaches) have seen it can be done.   It is easy to forget there was several games he disappeared.   I hope he is more consistent, sees the floor better, and is able to handle being the top name on the scouting report.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
I think the best improvement to his game is if he could grow about 3 inches.   ;D   It could happen!    I know a guy who grew around 4-5" after he graduated HS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »
In all seriousness..... in windowless offices on the campuses of the other 9 Big East teams, there is an unpaid/underpaid low level assistant of some sort poring over every minute that Markus played, every shot that he took, how teams stopped him or failed to stop him.    They are putting his strengths and weaknesses into a database and are working with other assistants to develop a game plan to stop him.    Yes, he and Rowsey have Curry-like range.    But they are small.    So, I look for defenses to extend and contest the jumpshot, forcing him to go into the lane where his slight 5'11 frame suddenly is a detriment.   I look for defenders to stop helping off of Howard and Rowsey, betting that Hannif, Sam, Harry, Matt and the frosh can't beat their 3-4-5 one on one.    I look for zones to be extended.    In short, they will be game planning for him as the number one thing to stop.   And the other coaches aren't dummies. 
    So it is up to Markus, Rowsey and Wojo et al to broaden their games in a way that Cheatham didn't, so that he can make them pay when they run at his jump shot.      Runners, tear drops, pull ups.  Quick passes when the other team hedges or double teams the high pick-and-rolls, moving the ball around either to an open Sam in the corner or a cutting big, much like nearly every team did to MU last year.  And much like the full-court pressure that was more disruptive to MU than most teams due to the size of the guards, Howard and Rowsey are going to have to figure out how to get out of the high trap set by larger defenders.   Can they make the adjustments in their games to counteract the inevitable defensive adjustments they are going to see?

It would not surprise me to see his numbers drop when stopping him is made the top priority of opposing teams.    We ( and all of the opposing coaches) have seen it can be done.   It is easy to forget there was several games he disappeared.   I hope he is more consistent, sees the floor better, and is able to handle being the top name on the scouting report.

Conversely, great coaches self-scout. Buzz may have been the best at this as any MU coach. His players hated him for it until later...sometimes after they transferred...sometimes after the first practice.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Scouting isn't the concern for M2K. Luck is.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
Scouting isn't the concern for M2K. Luck is.

Is M2K a forerunner to Y2K?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 10:13:47 PM »
Markus will improve and have another outstanding year. He will be the star of the team.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:23:32 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 12:19:56 AM »
1.  Work on his first step so he can "blow by" his defender when they are tight on him
2.  10-17' pull up jumper with 50% accuracy
3.  More assists
4.  50% from 3 and over 100 makes
5.  Glimpses of either a Steph style floater or Kyrie style at the rim finishes - which will further develop in year 3 and (if we're lucky) year 4 - and know when to use it and when to pass.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."